2001 Explorer

2001 Ford Explorer

2001 Ford Explorer

4.1

Have You Driven the 2001 Ford Explorer?

Not too shabby.

by Will from Michigan on Sun Sep 28 2014

I've driven a 2001 Ford Explorer XLT for 5 years now, and my mom drove it for 2 years before that. We got it for really cheap with a salvage title, and it's been consistent and reliable. We have the 4.0l V6 with an automatic transmission. The gas mileage is embarrassing, and the tires are ridiculously expensive, but it holds its own and starts and drives every time I want it to. The 4x4 is awesome, and it seems to work for the car they put it into. I once got myself out of a ditch in Michigan in a snowstorm almost immediately and without effort just by trying with the 4x4 engaged, which honestly is the event that made this car worth dealing with the gas mileage to me. I don't like the styling, and the buttons/knobs are the same cheap plastic they used in my 1994 Aerostar (they literally might be interchangeable in some places - it's ugly). The cloth is nice, I've yet to tear any of it or have it stain unreasonably. I replaced the stock stereo with an updated system, but I kind of miss the 6 disc changer that comes with the premium sound package. Mine's got 2 12v "cigarette lighter" plugs (one front and center and one down near the floor on the passenger side), two cup holders, a built-in tissue dispenser with a coin dispenser built in, and plenty of room in the glove compartment and the center console to hold anything you could possibly need. The back seats fold mostly flat (if you're tall, the driver's seat inhibits it going down past a certain point, but the area is still pretty flat, and huge). I do all the maintenance myself, and changing the oil is a quick affair. The brake pads are easy to get to and easy to replace as well. The hydraulic lifts in the hood and back hatch went bad at some point, but if they were original, they lasted for ten or more years, so that's not bad. Cheap replacements are available. The back wiper snapped off when it became frozen to the window, but that's my fault not Ford's. Parts have been cheap enough, as cheap as you'd expect domestic car parts to be, which is nice. Lots and lots of aftermarket parts are available. I've never done any real major maintenance on the car, Just brakes, tires and oil changes every 3-5k miles, keep the fluids topped off. I would take this on a road trip today with an oil change and a quick inspection. It is an SUV and handles as such, and I definitely prefer driving something a little bit lower to the ground, the car doesn't corner well (although it's not scary if you just take it easy), but it accelerates quickly, and it's heavy enough despite its design not to blow around on the highway too much. It's high enough to see out of over traffic, and that makes it much less stressful driving in traffic jams as most of the time you can see a lot over the car in front of you. Overall, I suppose if I had a kid, this is a car I would get for them. Very safe, very tall, powerful but not too powerful. Lots of cargo room, or seats if you need them. Insurance isn't too expensive, either.

Great car !!

by RiDdLe from Northfield MN on Sun Nov 22 2009

Great car... Bought used - I put over 100,000 miles on it, still runs great. There is a few things that have broken (diver door lock <remote>)light on raidio. It went throught a very bad hail storm (2+ inch) Next I would like the SPORT-TRAC (same- diffent body)

A pretty good vehicle

by Construction worker from Waterloo, IA on Sun Mar 02 2008

I think it is a pretty good vehicle, I tend to think it is sort of squirrly in the wind at higher speeds

Dependable and Wonderful SUV

by ford guy from Indiana, United States on Fri Jan 24 2014

We have had a 2001 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L 4x4 V6 for 10 years now, and it has prevailed through a LOT of offroading and 4x4 use. This SUV has been everywhere from muddy forests to digging cars out of 5 feet of snow and to just everyday city driving. Sometimes while in the city I wonder where the gas went, but on the highway the mileage is decent. The Auto, 4x4 high and 4x4 low features are great on this SUV. The Auto 4x4 kicks in as soon as the rear tires start slipping. To make an investment in this SUV is worth it, even with the half decent gas mileage.

Uses car for Off-roading

love my ford

by love my ford from NH on Mon Apr 25 2011

I bought my explorer new 11years ago and other than regular service , wear & tear items it has served me well. I live in NH and my explorer handles snow, ice , hills and mud without a problem. I average about 18 mpg so this would be my only negative. Anytime friends get stuck in bad weather I get the bail out call!

Best SUV

by Scootie from SC on Thu Feb 14 2008

I have this SUV and It has put up with some serious abuse! I love it as my daily driver. This car is awesome!!! I really recomend getting one, so long as you keep the fluids in check, it'll keep and keep.

a great car

by tj from las vegas on Fri Dec 05 2008

ive had my explorer for about a year i bought itused at 108k miles and im at 123k now its thebest carive owned byfari havent had to do any major work on it yet and i hope it stays that way. only thing i dontlike is that its notthe best off-road vehicle ive gotten stuck a few times in a few offroad runs other than its a great vehicle

Definitely a trooper

by Marissa from on Thu Feb 16 2017

The car lasted me way longer than I thought it would for how much I paid. There've been many times repair shops have warned me that it wont last much longer if I don't get x fixed. But being a broke college student, I took my chances. It really hung in there! For 2 years with no major repairs!

Wait and see

by NewFordGuy from Phoenix, AZ on Thu Nov 07 2013

I've had some problems with the tranny recently and engine performance, but given the age of the vehicle and the fact that I bought it "as is" from a small dealer I really can't complain.

Man's best friend?

by Bob in Idaho from Star, Idaho on Mon Apr 21 2014

I bought new in Montana for the deep snow and it has travelled across the country four times. I have the Eddie Bauer with V6 and 5 speed auto trans. The leather has held up well, even in the rear which has been subjected to car seats and booster seats since the truck was new. At about 70,000 miles, the water pump died and we had to call a tow truck. I replaced it myself, as well as all the brake pads and rotors. At 100,000 miles I had all the shocks and the front lower ball joints replaced. It drives like new again. Longtime mileage with mixed city and highway is 18.9 mpg. The display on the radio doesn't work, and the front sway bar end links tend to break if taken off road. It will get stuck in the mud, but has never been stuck in the snow.

1 2

Our Take on the 2001 Ford Explorer

The Explorer has been around for 10 years now, a veritable geologic age, even in sport-utility terms. Hence, a new one is well along in the development process. But in the meantime, Ford is using a variety of tried-and-true tricks to maintain momentum. Sales for this most popular SUV have been running in the 400,000/yr. range. Such things are not commented on officially, but one hears there may be as much as $10,000 profit, on average, in every one that Louisville and St. Louis turn out. Even if it's only half that, the math still works out to billions, serious money anywhere but in D.C.

Recently we reviewed the Explorer Sport Trac, a clever four-door SUV-pickup hybrid Ford spun off the... Read More