1998 Taurus

1998 Ford Taurus

$31 - $4,407  MSRP Range
1998 Ford Taurus

3.6

Have You Driven the 1998 Ford Taurus?

3rd owner

by NavyDoc8406/04 from west TN between nashville and Memphis on Thu Apr 14 2011

We bought our 98 Ford taurus used from another sailor and his family, while stationed on Guam. We drove it there for six months , then brought it state side. We drove it until 2010 when we sold it to its fourth owner, whom we see quite regularly. Since we owned it and now our friend has it, it has cost very little to maintain. Gas and regular oil changes, tires and roitations and we had the brakes done once (just pads). The fourth owner reported to us that she needed to put a new thermostat in and also one of the wheel's bearings had to be replaced. None of these items cost her much in the parts department and a mutual friend did the work for no charge. For seven years, to have under $200 in parts over the cost of gas oil and tires, speaks volumes for the quality of this vehicle and model year. So why did I sell it? We had bought a hybrid because odf distances we needed to travel for medical treatments for my wife's cancer. I also wanted to return to a pick up truck, so I bought a used Ford Ranger. Meanwhile, a fourth owner gets to enjoy the hassle free life of driving this Taurus. If you can find one for sale , you better scoop it up for its dependabilty. Our gas mileage wasn't bad at 22 mpg and if you are doing local only type driving, that's really good enough. Comfort on long trips, lets just say it was like the recliner. Man, once that passenger sit leaned back, I was zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. You should be able to purchase one of these relatively cheap at around 1700-2000 dollars. it is 2011 now and I would say the better ones out there will still be on the road for 5-10 more years. This car was a fine addition to our drive way and provided dependable service to us at every turn of the ignition. Even if you're just maybe thinking about looking at one, let me urge you to stop looking and start counting out cash! You won't be sorry.

Great overall for those who can't a"FORD ALOT"

by not on the manufacturers payroll (really!!) from Olathe, KS on Sun Mar 25 2007

I have now owned what I consider to be a real value in an car for seven years. My Taurus is the only Ford I have ever owned. All others being Japanese models. While these have also been oustanding in quality, the maintenance value of the Taurus is above and beyond for those who are money/value conscious. Specifically with the 12Valve 3.0 V6, which I researched exstensively along with other comparable domestics. This engine is virtually "bulletproof" I will admit that I have continually run with full synthethic motor oil. However, as long as fluid services are at standard intervals, I believe that this is still a great car. I have had no major repairs to speak of. I have reached now 180,000+ miles and the car is still running strong. I have commented greatly on the mechanicals, let me state too that the car looks good, rides and handles comfortably, and it has a high crash test safety rating. I would have no problem whatsoever passing this car onto my teenage daughter or recomending the Taurus to any person who is looking for a good car for themselves. For someone starting out in this big scary world of driving, I think the value and safety are priceless.

michael marohnic

by mike m from whitefish, mo on Tue May 30 2006

i love this car its so dependable its great for getting me from a to b it works great getting up all those mountian roads with pleanty of power left over

Yep

by Starlynn from Illinois on Fri Feb 29 2008

It may not be the most sporty or neat looking vehicle but it holds up amazingly well. We have had ours for ten years it has allot of miles on it but it still drives like the day we got it. We have had some brake issues but it still is a realiable car.

First Car

by Fimeg from Waldport, Oregon on Fri Apr 11 2014

I purchased this car with 170,000 miles, and it now has 210,000. I only change the oil. I did have to replace the thermostat, but it gets me from A to B with no worries.

Good for a first car, requires maitenence

by Ren from Stillwater on Thu May 10 2018

My 1998 Taurus SE Comfort V6 was passed on to me while I was in college, and at that point it was already 16 years old. My grandfather had only used it as a grocery cart so it had less than 60,000 miles. I'm now at 100,000 and have to let the car go. Why? The bottom is rusting out so bad (I'm from Minnesota) that it has been deemed a ticking time bomb by two service shops. You can see the floor where my feet are. Nonetheless this car is still toughing it out over the most vicious potholes you can imagine. That said, my parents have helped me out a lot with maintenance, particularly with the battery and brakes. They are very weak, i.e. I have to floor it hard every time to come to a full stop, and they once completely went out on my after coming off an exit and I had to use my emergency brake to pull over safely. There were other fixes with the radiator, and the heating and AC had long since stopped working. But I still enjoyed driving it. Very comfortable, very aesthetically pleasing, easy to park given its length, roomy, great design.

Reliable but didn?t have that wow factor.

by DonB on Wed Aug 01 2018

See above. Car was lackluster. Just needs a bit more style. Pick up was good and vehicle was solid. Just seemed like a retirement vehicle.

98 Taurus SHO

by SHO in Dallas from Dallas, TX on Wed Feb 02 2011

Good car, good performance. The next collectable Ford...............................................

It's a good car, basically

by Dad of two from Baltimore maryland on Mon Jan 08 2007

I like the design the best. Even by today's standard it looks cute. Riding in this car is fun. Very good control and very comfortable sitting inside. Suspension is super. Reliability isn't fun though - lot's of small hassles. If Ford have had inproved their build quality it could have been the best sedane.

Transmission Problems

by I'll buy american when they're better made. from TX on Thu Jul 23 2009

I bought the car to use while commuting to and from college for holidays. I had to replace my transmission at 64k mi. Now, at 124k I'm needing to replace it again even though I don't think I've ridden this car roughly especially not after spending around $2k to replace the transmission the first time. I also have a lemon of a caliper on my rear left break. I have to replace it about every 3-5 years before it starts to eat through my routers. That's $700. This problem seems to be exacerbated by using the emergency break. Ridiculous! The break pads need to be replaced often because this is a very solid car, except for the exterior. I was using my hip to close a door that was ajar and my hip put a huge dented in the door! Cheap body. I only weigh 128lbs; it's ridiculous. Had to take the dome light out because the front right door sensor went bad and it kept saying that the door was ajar, which kicked on the automatic dome light - not good trying to drive at night, so I took the light out and saved myself the cost of replacing the sensor. Interior gets dirty quickly. The faux leather interior not all that sturdy and the paint on the platic door handles inside has been peeling off for some time now. BUT, the trunk holds more than you think it will. Nice that if in desperation it could seat 6, which is why I bought it. I have a family of 5 now and we're still using it until we can afford to get another car.

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2

Our Take on the 1998 Ford Taurus

The Taurus-like stock market and the Taurus by the Ford Motor Co. have had a common trait these past few months.

This astrological sign of the bull has been running wild in both categories, with the market ascending to spectacular heights and the automotive representative going right up the sales charts.

Possibly, the Taurus stock market is beginning to run on tiring legs, but Ford's 1998 Taurus sedan is snorting along, stronger than ever, as a sales leader for the Ford Division.

As the '98 model year winds down, the Taurus can look back on features such as a redesigned front end and functional improvements as prime contributors to its marketing success. The car appeals to a broad spectrum of... Read More