2009 Acadia

2009 GMC Acadia

4.3

4 out of 5 stars Reliability
4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 2009 GMC Acadia?

I Love This Vehicle

by Becoming a GM Fan from New York, Ny on Sat Nov 14 2009

My wife and I are expecting twins, so we started shopping for a vehicle that could fit all of us, plus a large stroller, etc. After looking at the Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander, there is no doubt in my mind that the Acadia is the best option. It has more space than these vehicles and I love how it handles and looks. People who are looking for a crossover have to take a look at this vehicle.

A Tank

by Taxi Mom from Erie, PA on Thu Jul 26 2012

Within 2 years, around 38,000 miles I had to get new tires. Do not like and would not recommend the Goodyear tires to anyone. Also had to replace a bad shock that same time. My Acadia is currently in the shop, for 2 weeks now, to replace the rack and pin and repair the transmission! Just hit 51,000 miles and it was chugging and the RPM's were jumping to 5000 even though I was only going 60mph. Bought it brand new in 2009 so it isn't even paid off yet, have 2 1/2 yrs to go. Yeah I did rack on the miles! I have a family and they are in sports and we do a lot of traveling with it because of the comfort and better gas mileage then my husbands GMC Sierra. But I should feel confident in the performance of my vehicle and unfortunately I can't say that about my Acadia anymore. The dealership is taking care of the issues under warranty and have given me another vehicle to use. My dealership has always been good to me and taken care of any problems I have had which is greatly appreciated. I learned a lesson that new cars on the market aren't the way to go. Wait til they are on the market for a few years so that all the problems or poor design issues can be dicovered and fixed! I guess some of the 2008-2010 models once they reached 50,000 miles, had to have transmissions repaired or replaced. I just happened to be one of the "lucky" ones:(

Does not recommend this car!!

2009 Acadia - fabulous SUV!

by Tesla owner from Colorado on Sun Oct 27 2013

I got t-boned in an accident in my 2009 Acadia and the policeman that worked the accident said that the 2009 Acadia saved my life --- it did not roll over like most SUVs would have!!!

Best Car I have ever owned

by New to GM from Lombard, IL on Fri Jul 31 2009

We needed to trade in the honda minivan because it was breaking down and our family was becoming larger. Crossovers were in style so we checked out GM's list. The acadia was the best looking from our perspective. Its very responsive, the turning turns like a sportscar, and the interior room is similar to a GMC Yukon/Chevy Tahoe, but it rides lower. Its one of the safest car in america, so i have no problem when my 17 year old takes it out to the movies. We love the car, theres nothing about it we don't like. Good work GM!

Will never buy GM car again!

by Busy Mom of 5 from Upstate NY on Wed Jul 24 2013

I've had my Acadia for 4 yrs., and while I like the roominess and styling of the car, mechanically it is a disappointment. The first month I had the car, my coils went out, which needed replacing. Eventually, they all needed to be replaced. The check engine light is always on. No sooner will it get fixed, and sometimes later in the day it's back on. It's not a glitch, either. It is in the shop as I write for a timing chain, which thankfully was covered under the warranty. Otherwise it's an expensive job. It will take a couple of days to get fixed, so need a loaner car. I cannot wait to get rid of it and get a more reliable vehicle.

GM hit a home run

by Gear head from Wisconsin on Sat Mar 14 2009

Very comfortable with several adults on board. Lots of room for passengers and luggage. Quietist vehicle I have driven. Excellent traction in snow with only FWD. In an effort to achieve optimal fuel economy, tranmission constantly searching for top gear resulting in annoying transmission down shifting and "hunting". Dealer software corrected 75% of problem. Love the Boise sound systrem. Rear view limited when backing and major blind spots. So you need to look over your shoulder when changing lanes (a good idea for drivers of all vehicles). Feels rock solid. Good fit and finish. Styling that is distinct, but not extreme which should remain current for this first generation model run. This is the first GM vehicle that I've grown to enjoy more as the miles accrue. I wish Congress were aware of GM'S progress in design and build of this cross over.

Great Vehicle with one reservation

by Pat from Kalamazoo,Michigan on Tue Feb 24 2015

I bought my Acadia used in 2011. This is one of the nicest riding vehicles I have owned. It is excellent for transporting people and even the 3rd seat is comfortable for adults. I have had one issue which is bothersome. Occasionally when I have to accelerate quickly (changing lanes or passing) it doesn't respond for a few seconds and then it "bucks". I took it into the dealership and they could find nothing wrong with it. I read that the owner of a 2012 had the same problem so i think this is something GMC should address.

Don't make the mistake of buying a GMC Acadia

by C. Allen from Johnson City, TN on Tue Feb 06 2018

I purchased a GMC Acadia 3 years ago because I wanted a smaller SUV with captain seats in the 2nd row and an entertainment center. I bought a 2009 with 68,000 miles on it. I only made it a month before it was in the shop! Over the last 3 years, I have replaced 7 engine coils (the car only has 6!), 2 catalytic converters, struts, purge valve and much more! After spending $3,000 in the last month in repairs, I picked it up today from the dealership and didn't even make it a mile before the check engine light came on again and the car was acting crazy. Now, they tell me it's the torque converter and will be another $4,000. The car isn't even worth that much! Don't make the mistake of buying a GMC Acadia for the interior design and entertainment center (the DVD player stopped working shortly after I purchased it). I will never own a GMC again!

Love this car!

by mom car lover from Moore, OK on Mon Apr 16 2012

I am so happy with my choice. I love the automatic trunk, the space, the seats. The ony thing is that I wish it had more room in the middle console to store stuff but that's not a big thing at all. I also love the amount of cup holders.

Everything but the tires

by Gmc Acadia from Dublin,Oh on Mon Mar 28 2011

Bought this in 09 Has been a very good vehicle.The only complaint is the garbage Goodyear Eagle Rs tires.Replaced at 35k but from 25k on in the rain or snow they were an accident waiting to happen.Cost 1200.00 to put Michelin on but the ride is 100 %Quieter and the vehicle is a joy to drive in adverse weather.

Uses car for Towing