2009 Acadia

4.1 out of 5 starsValue for the Money

All Reviews

I Love This Vehicle

by Becoming a GM Fan from New York, Ny on November 14, 2009

My wife and I are expecting twins, so we started shopping for a vehicle that could fit all of us, plus a large stroller, etc. After looking at the Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander, there is no doubt in my mind that the Acadia is the best option. It has more space than these vehicles and I love how it handles and looks. People who are looking for a crossover have to take a look at this vehicle.

2009 Acadia - fabulous SUV!

by Tesla owner from Colorado on October 27, 2013

I got t-boned in an accident in my 2009 Acadia and the policeman that worked the accident said that the 2009 Acadia saved my life --- it did not roll over like most SUVs would have!!!

A Tank

by Taxi Mom from Erie, PA on July 26, 2012

Within 2 years, around 38,000 miles I had to get new tires. Do not like and would not recommend the Goodyear tires to anyone. Also had to replace a bad shock that same time. My Acadia is currently in the shop, for 2 weeks now, to replace the rack and pin and repair the transmission! Just hit 51,000 miles and it was chugging and the RPM's were jumping to 5000 even though I was only going 60mph. Bought it brand new in 2009 so it isn't even paid off yet, have 2 1/2 yrs to go. Yeah I did rack on the miles! I have a family and they are in sports and we do a lot of traveling with it because of the comfort and better gas mileage then my husbands GMC Sierra. But I should feel confident in the performance of my vehicle and unfortunately I can't say that about my Acadia anymore. The dealership is taking care of the issues under warranty and have given me another vehicle to use. My dealership has always been good to me and taken care of any problems I have had which is greatly appreciated. I learned a lesson that new cars on the market aren't the way to go. Wait til they are on the market for a few years so that all the problems or poor design issues can be dicovered and fixed! I guess some of the 2008-2010 models once they reached 50,000 miles, had to have transmissions repaired or replaced. I just happened to be one of the "lucky" ones:(

Does not recommend this car!!

Best Car I have ever owned

by New to GM from Lombard, IL on July 31, 2009

We needed to trade in the honda minivan because it was breaking down and our family was becoming larger. Crossovers were in style so we checked out GM's list. The acadia was the best looking from our perspective. Its very responsive, the turning turns like a sportscar, and the interior room is similar to a GMC Yukon/Chevy Tahoe, but it rides lower. Its one of the safest car in america, so i have no problem when my 17 year old takes it out to the movies. We love the car, theres nothing about it we don't like. Good work GM!

First American car I purchased

by Possible Import convert. from Philaldelphia, PA on November 8, 2011

I thought, that I should go and purchase my first American ever, I am 52 years old and have always owned imports. I own a small business and I thought time to see if the US car makers can match the imports and help our country back to prosperity. the GMC Acadia caught my eye, the size and styling I really liked. The car overall is teriffic. The handling and comfort for an American car is better than what I expected. The only issue is check engine light and smoothness of the engine. It has come one twice. And once the vehicle would not go faster than 35 MPH. The warning light in the gauge said reduced engine speed check engine. Well the dealer cleared the codes and found no cause for the complete engine failure. The engine had 9 failures but all checked out ok. The No Problem Found has me worried, that if my wife and daughter are driving the car and this happens again it could be a serious issue. The car has been running fine, but in the back of my mind what casued the failures and will happen again. The delaer said it might in about 6 months, these things happen. Well never happened on any import I ever owned, I was never stranded. so the jury is out on my first American Car. I thi. ng this car is great, GM just needs to tight up the reliablity

Will never buy GM car again!

by Busy Mom of 5 from Upstate NY on July 24, 2013

I've had my Acadia for 4 yrs., and while I like the roominess and styling of the car, mechanically it is a disappointment. The first month I had the car, my coils went out, which needed replacing. Eventually, they all needed to be replaced. The check engine light is always on. No sooner will it get fixed, and sometimes later in the day it's back on. It's not a glitch, either. It is in the shop as I write for a timing chain, which thankfully was covered under the warranty. Otherwise it's an expensive job. It will take a couple of days to get fixed, so need a loaner car. I cannot wait to get rid of it and get a more reliable vehicle.

Does not recommend this car!!

GM hit a home run

by Gear head from Wisconsin on March 14, 2009

Very comfortable with several adults on board. Lots of room for passengers and luggage. Quietist vehicle I have driven. Excellent traction in snow with only FWD. In an effort to achieve optimal fuel economy, tranmission constantly searching for top gear resulting in annoying transmission down shifting and "hunting". Dealer software corrected 75% of problem. Love the Boise sound systrem. Rear view limited when backing and major blind spots. So you need to look over your shoulder when changing lanes (a good idea for drivers of all vehicles). Feels rock solid. Good fit and finish. Styling that is distinct, but not extreme which should remain current for this first generation model run. This is the first GM vehicle that I've grown to enjoy more as the miles accrue. I wish Congress were aware of GM'S progress in design and build of this cross over.

Great Vehicle with one reservation

by Pat from Kalamazoo,Michigan on February 24, 2015

I bought my Acadia used in 2011. This is one of the nicest riding vehicles I have owned. It is excellent for transporting people and even the 3rd seat is comfortable for adults. I have had one issue which is bothersome. Occasionally when I have to accelerate quickly (changing lanes or passing) it doesn't respond for a few seconds and then it "bucks". I took it into the dealership and they could find nothing wrong with it. I read that the owner of a 2012 had the same problem so i think this is something GMC should address.

Love this car!

by mom car lover from Moore, OK on April 16, 2012

I am so happy with my choice. I love the automatic trunk, the space, the seats. The ony thing is that I wish it had more room in the middle console to store stuff but that's not a big thing at all. I also love the amount of cup holders.

Everything but the tires

by Gmc Acadia from Dublin,Oh on March 28, 2011

Bought this in 09 Has been a very good vehicle.The only complaint is the garbage Goodyear Eagle Rs tires.Replaced at 35k but from 25k on in the rain or snow they were an accident waiting to happen.Cost 1200.00 to put Michelin on but the ride is 100 %Quieter and the vehicle is a joy to drive in adverse weather.

Uses car for Towing