2011 Terrain

2011 GMC Terrain

2011 GMC Terrain

4.1

4 out of 5 stars Value for the Money

Have you driven the 2011 GMC Terrain?

Can't believe its an SUV

by Brownie from Western Iowa on Fri Oct 22 2010

This is a very unique vehicle that looks like a truck, but drives like a car. Very comfortable on a 600 mile round trip. Plenty of power for interstate passing, but still gets respectable gas mileage.

engine rattle

by chad from Atlanta, GA on Wed Apr 18 2012

Owned the Terrain for about a year and have put 19k miles on it. Have taken it back to the dealer for the 4th time to due to a loud rattle noise when you crank the car up.To this day I'm still having the issue and the dealership has changed the cam accuators,timing chain and oil pump. The dealership states theres a bulletin that tells them to try diesel oil instead of synthetic like the manual calls for. The GM rep told me I need to take it to a professional mechanic... This is a GM dealership with GM mechanics! If they can't fix their own vehicles then why have mechanics there? And why sale me an extended warranty if you can't fix it! So, before you think about purchasing a Terrain with the 4 cyl motor look at the reviews regarding engine rattle & loud startup noise. Also, review the fuel mileage because it doesn't get what the sticker states!

Does not recommend this car!!

a great vehicle

by golfunman from Cleveland Ohio on Wed Aug 03 2011

I recently traded in my 2009 G6 covertible for the 2011 GMC Terrain, and though there are things I miss about the G6, I have no doubt I made the right decision. Oh sure, the G6 was sportier and a much cooler car to drive. It had lots of pep and it was just a fun car, but sometimes practicality is a much more important factor. The ride in the Terrain is tremendous. It's tight, rattle free, and just a very comfortable vehicle. It's nice to sit up high with a much better view of the road. I bought the 4 cylinder model, and as of yet I am not getting the mileage as advertised, but I'm hoping to see an improvement as the car is broken in (do cars still need to be broken in?). The styling is exceptional for an SUV crossover. Plenty of room in the back seat (I wish they had put some AC vents back there) and the radio/CD player is superb. You dont get an over abundant amount of space until you put the back seats down, but much more than I had in my G6 with the top down! Overall, I am very pleased with the Terrain. I had toyed with the idea of purchasing one last year, but went with the Buick LaCrosse CXL. Trust me, this vehicle's ride rivals that of my Buick.

Not Getting The Advertised Gas Milage

by Charlie from Chattanooga, Tennessee on Wed Jul 20 2011

I like the Terrain but I am not getting the 22 mpg city or the 32 mpg highway mileage that is advertised!! I have had the Terrain for about 8 months and have just over 18,000 miles on it. In town I'm getting about 17 mpg and on the highway about 26 to 27 mpg. I'm not driving 55 mph but about the speed limit on the interstate of 70 mph. I had a 2006 GMC Envoy Denali and had to replace the transmssion twice in it!! I bought the GMC again because of the entended powertrain warrenty. However every once in a while when the Terrain changes gear it "jerks" it's not smooth...maybe I'm parinoid because of the Envoy. Once again I like it OK but disappointed in the gas milage!!

Decompress in a really quiet ride after work

by woody the engineer from Detroit, MI Suburbs on Fri Jun 24 2011

This is the first affordable, quiet SUV in the market. After years of commuting in a Rav, Mystique, Numi Nova, VW Rabbit, Eurosport, and a Dodge Dart I thought that quiet, comfortable cars under $25K were as rare as unicorns. I need to watch my speed carefully now because the engine, transmission, wind, tire, and vibration cues that I am going over 70 MPH are no longer present. And we can hear the radio at low volume- no more nose bleeds when I pull off of a freeway ramp and suddenly find that the radio volume was all the way up. Long trips and even daily commutes will be a pleasure again. The 4 cyl engine/6 speed xmission are sufficiently perkey to get me moving and allow me to pass while getting 34 mpg. I bought a base model SL1, with nothing extra. Unexpected "pleasers" are the adjustable lumbar support, digital dash info center, power everything, electronic backup camera, active noise cancellation, a half dozen air bags, a luggage tonneau cover, lots of storage nooks and cup holders, fully adjustalbe fold flat back seats, xm radio, double laminate glass, and double rubber door and window seals. The only drawbacks are slightly bulky A, B, and C pillars hiding the air bags and cutting down visibility, very little road feedback through the electronic power steering, and the designers' infatuation with black interiors- black doors, floors, seats, console, and lower dash. Yes, it eliminates internal reflections but don't lay down a black cell phone, pen, or notebook after dark. The small SUV format allows lots of room for family stuff, trips to home improvement stores, hobby and recreational equipment, and 5 passengers. Did I mention that being in the Terrain allows decompresing in relative quiet after a hectic day at work? And if I wanted to answer the cell phone in the car, I could hear the other person talking without feeling like the passenger compartment was at the business end of a moon rocket.

New Family Car

by Matt from Frisco,TX on Sun Jul 24 2011

I upgraded to an SUV when i found out i'm expecting a child. And i absolutely love this vehicle. Tons of room, awesome radio and great gas mileage. I'm getting 21 in the city and about 30 highway (4cyl). It has a very smooth ride and really quiet.

Good car for growing family

by Family car from Lubbock tx on Mon Feb 13 2012

The terrain is a good suv for the money. Don't hope to get 31 mpg like advertised. Ours gets between 24and 27 with the 4 cylinder engine. If I would have known this before I would have bought a v6. But hey what can u expect from car companies they say what they have to to get u to buy it. But a good car and we are pleased with it.

Very comfortable, sharp vehicle

by TnA0621 from Kansas on Fri Jun 03 2011

The first thing that drew my attention to this SUV was the over all look. I just love how nice it looks! Second, the gas mileage is pretty good for an SUV. We bought the 4- cylinder and the best mileage so far is 25-26 MPG. So if you're looking for an SUV that isn't going to drain you, this would be it. It is very comfortable, I'm not a big leather fan BUT I do love the two tone leather this came with and how comfortable it is and the fact that it has seat warmers. Everything inside is very easy to use and looks very nice. When we first test drove this we didn't plan on getting it because there was NO POWER!! Then we realized there is an ECO button that is supposed to maximize your fuel economy so you can't drain your gas by gunning the car. After turning that off it was great, plenty of power!!! It is also very spacious in the back seat, lots of leg room! I can't really think of one bad thing so far and I've been driving this for about three months commuting back and forth to work an hour and a half one way.

Great Car with Awesome style

by Jonny D from Miami, FL on Mon Jun 20 2011

I am getting mixed messages on the gas mileage on the car. I do admit that I expected higher mpg than Im getting. But besides that it sure does beat the heck out of my previous dodge durango. This car is very neat and stylish. Quiet interior and a smooth ride. Lacks a little power but for me thats not a problem. I do rush everywhere i go. I have gotten so many compliments about this car n it makes up for the price you pay for it. I have the 4cyl Black on Black. To me this is one of the top 10 cars on the road imo.

Worst car I have owned

by Unhappy customer from Lake Geneva, WI on Mon Nov 25 2013

I cant tell you how many times this car has been the shop. Lost track after 10. Replaced the timing chains twice already with plenty of other issues that they cant seem to repeat. The only good thing is how comfortable the ride is and how it handles in the snow. Power train is garbage for a 4 cylinder. Would not recommend this to anyone.

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Our Take on the 2011 GMC Terrain

Editor's note: This review was written in October 2009 about the 2010 GMC Terrain. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what's new for 2011, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

It should come as little surprise that the new GMC Terrain, a corporate twin to the redesigned Chevrolet Equinox, retains most of its sibling's strengths and weaknesses. The wild card — or, more appropriately, the elephant in the design studio — is the Terrain's styling. If it works for you, the Terrain is every bit as competitive as the Equinox. One caveat, however: Unless you need the towing capacity, avoid the V-6. The Terrain shows its best colors... Read More