Our Expert Review: 2008 Honda Civic

Great Commuter Card

by from El Sobrante, CA on November 17, 2010

At the time of writing, my 2008 Civic has over 62,000 miles on it, so I feel I can accurately review the car. When I first purchased this vehicle, I was living in Illinois during the harsh winters. I was also doing an 80 mile round trip commute to work. Let me just say that for being a relatively low cost, low end sedan the car handled great on the snow and ice. It handled better than my friends 1999 Civic. My 80 mile round trip commute was 70% highway and 30% city on mostly flat road, and I was averaging 38-41mpg per tank, easily. I now live in Northern California do 95 mile round trip commute to work on the crowded CA highways. Thankfully I can commute in off-peak traffic hours. I'm averaging 36-39mpg pretty easily, with my 90% highway commute. I will say, though, that the city gas mileage out of the car is lacking. I live in a very hilly area and average, maybe, 27mpg when I drive around my city. I know for a fact that my friends 1999 civic gets better city mpg than my 2008 civic does. Probably due, in part, to the smaller engine in the 1999. I've read a few other reviews saying that the car has a rough ride. Perhaps I have not personally driven a car more expensive than an Accord for an extended period of time, but I know that this Civic has a better ride than the 1999 Civic and the 1992 Accord. Might not seem like a fair comparison, but it is all I have to judge by. I also read a review saying the car was cramped. I'm 6 feet tall and I fit very comfortably. I've also never had any passengers complain about leg room in the back seat - and I've had some very picky passengers. As far as the overall style of the car, it's not the greatest design, but it's not the worst either. It took me a while to get used the to huge dash inside the car. The engine also provides power when necessary. It definitely has "get up and go" performance when needed. I will say that this is the most reliable car I've ever owned. 62,000 miles and on my second set of tires, factory battery, factory brakes, factory spark plugs. All I really do is standard oil changes and tire rotations. I think I'm also on my 2nd set of wiper blades (I refuse to buy cheap wiper blades). I've never once had any sort of breakdown or needed to be towed. As far as interior features in the car, it has everything I need. I opted to not get the navigation system because it was too expensive. I just use a Garmin gps for navigation. The radio has an AUX input perfect for my Ipod, and plays MP3 cd's. Pretty much all I need in a car. The speakers are also very good. I have noticed some feedback when listening to the ipod, but have not yet figured out if it is the radio, or the ipod causing the issue. The steering wheel controls are wonderful. The cup holders are nicely placed. The center console holds a lot of stuff. It is also really nice to have 2 12volt outlets. I think that pretty much sums up my review, I can't think of anything else to say about the car.

my third car

by from on August 11, 2010

After owning a '94 M3 coupe, i wanted something i knew would never give me a headache. i am a student and i dont have the time, energy, or finances to maintain a car. I have never had any problems with this car. additionally, i get about 34MPG highway using premium gas

The wonderful car I owned

by from Leesburg, VA on January 16, 2011

I have been looking for an economical and reliable car because I drove more than 300 miles every 2 weeks to go to work and back home for the weekend off. I found it on my 2008 Honda Civic. I'm very much satisfied with the gas consumption and it has a lot of power for a small category. The heated front seat helps a lot at winter time and the control buttons are not hard to operate. To summarize, I will say I am very satisfied with the overall performance of the car.

Mostly satisfied, but a few flaws...

by from Indiana on December 29, 2010

I have had the 4-door automatic transmission LX for 3 years now. It's far superior to any other car I've owned (this is not saying much, however!), and so like many reviewers, I'll just mention a few drawbacks. (1) The front left pillar creates a fairly significant blind spot; (2) There is a lag upon accelerating from zero that surprised me; (3) I have had one sun visor replaced, as it split; (4) and most annoying, the fuel door unlock button doesn't always work. The service technician bent the latch inside the fuel door a little and deemed it fixed, but unforunately the problem recurs. Even after listing these items, though, I'm quite satisfied, perhaps because I endured driving a Stratus for the 10 prior years!

Love my Civic!

by from Baltimore, MD on October 20, 2011

I bought a used 2008 Honda Civic Sedan in 2011. It's a V4 that drives like a V6. Great handling/performance. Roomy interior, plenty of legroom for backseat passengers. Large trunk and interior console compartment. There's a place for everything from drinks to sunglasses, storing my GPS and phone charger. I love the MP3 jack, a great improvement over either a single or multiple CD-changer, though it also has a single CD changer that I use. The dashboard design and control panel are easy to read day and night and the digital speedometer is accurage (matches the built-in speedometer on my GPS when in use). The Oil-Life indicator is a huge plus and saves me money as the Civic does not require an oil change every 3,000 miles. As the car gets older, I'm sure the oil-life indicator will adjust accordingly. Good gas mileage for a sedan, especially since I mainly drive short trips. However, have gotten as much as 34 mpg on long trips. I have only had the car a few months and it's the most luxurious feeling car I've ever owned. I have not yet learned how to use the Cruise Control which should increase my gas mileage on long trips. In other words, after all this, you're silly if you don't consider a Honda Civic.

Honda Civic Coupe EX-L

by from Sarnia, ON. on March 5, 2011

Great reliable, good looking, economical car for the money. Would definitely recommend this car for anyone, especially with todays rising fuel prices.

great fun!

by from Racine, WI. on August 25, 2011

Have had my si for one year now. No real problems or complaints. Great fun yo drive in town and especially on the highway. You can't go wrong with this car!

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by from on May 20, 2010

super nice car!!! i love it!!! never had a problemes with any thinng. had SI 2008 manual transmision, drive very smoth!!! recommended!!!

Heart my Honda

by from Los Angeles, CA on March 9, 2010

I came close to getting an Accord, but in the end fell in love with this car. Easy to park, great mileage, more up to date features, a little more hip design.

Attractive and Attention to Detail

by from Seattle, WA on April 11, 2011

I researched many cars this size and kept going back to the look of this coupe, but the 3D dashboard was a key selling feature--it's just too cool! Love the ergodynamics (with exception of the positioning of the window buttons. Would have given a higher score on Comfort, but I think the ride is a little rough and is too loud (needs sound dampening to cover the road noise, so the audio system is very hard to hear on certain type roads). Love the Atomic Blue. Love this 8th generation Civic!

Similar Models