Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2006 Element

2006 Honda Element

2006 Honda Element

4.5

Have You Driven the 2006 Honda Element?

Worth Every Penny I paid for it.

by A greatfull Element owner from Long Island , New York on Mon Sep 07 2009

This review will probably be unlike most, but if you are considering buying the Element, read on. I bought my "ugly green truck", as my wife likes to call it, because it fit my lifestyle; snowboarding, scuba, kayaking, mountain biking, heck I even fit my 8'9" longboard inside before I bought the surfboard rack. Of all of the Elements positives, the one I want to boast about today is safety. As I Am writing this I have just arrived home from the hospital. Twenty four hours ago my wife and I where involved in a three car accident. The two drivers in front of us decided to fight it out for the middle lane. The resulting collision of these two vehicle sent one of them spinning 360 degrees around into a guard rail, it then bounced off spun again and struck my Element with myself and my seven month pregnant wife inside. I have not heard from the insurance adjuster, but I suspect my Element will be totaled, my wife, my unborn daughter, and I did not have a scratch on us. The hospital stay was a precaution to monitor the Baby. In my estimation the Element deserves every star of the NHTSA's five star crash rating. It has front, side and side curtain airbags, go to the Honda website and read the laundry list of safety features on this car. The styling of the Element may not suit everyones tastes, but thank God the people at Honda had the courage to make a vehicle that does not compromise on the important things. I do not know whether or not my Element can be repaired or not, but I do know one thing. When my daughter is born in two months, I will be driving her home from the hospital in a Honda Element.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Great for Hauling

by Kitty from Mayville, Wisconsin on Thu Apr 14 2011

This is my 3rd Element. I love the flexibility and room in the back end. Great for hauling major tools and dogs. These cars are excellent runners. Would have given this 2006 all 5 stars but this one is an automatic. Have always had manual transmissions which makes it more reactive quickly and I miss being able to downshift, rather than braking in snowy conditions. My other 2 elements are still on the road, 03 EX AWD being driven by my son with approx 130K - no problems and the 05 EX AWD being driven by my daughter with approx 100K. These are excellent handling vehicles. The space inside with the seats down is substantial - major leg & headroom. Only seats 4 but never had a need to seat more. The only bad thing is that this is the last year (11) they will be produced and are not putting out manual transmissions this last year either. I bought the 06 because it was an exceptional deal and only had 30K miles. The tow package, roof racks, and hot red color were an extra bonus. Love it even though it's an automatic.

most reliable

by toaster teller from AZ on Mon Jun 21 2010

I have 56 thousand miles on my Element. I have never had one thing go wrong with it during the 4 years that I have had it, not one thing! I have taken it all across the country, from Connecticut to Oregon, from Alabama to Arizona. It is a great vehicle and totally reliable. I would recommend it to anyone. I average 24 to 27 mpg. I take good care of it because it takes good care of me.

GREAT for trips or around town

by Element LVR from on Thu Mar 05 2009

I love my Element! Its lots of fun to drive and can be a GREAT camping vehicle. All sorts of accessories can be purchased including kit for back floor board to make into table and I LOVE how the seats can be moved around so much. I have hauled all sorts of things in my Element!

The best package

by Large Pro from Columbia, Mo on Sun Dec 02 2007

The Honda Element is very square and very spacious. The brakes should last forever, because if you lift off the gas, it slows like it has a parachute. The back seat is the largest space for two in all the 40 previous cars I've owned. I bet it is rivaled only by the Maybach. The best part is that it is so user friendly, all wheel drive makes it useful, and the fuel economy is darn good in town, decent for an SUV on the highway. The cashier at the Honda store told me that Element drivers are "happy people". That is pretty neat.

Like it more than I want to....

by Owner of dogs and bulky sports gear from Portland, OR on Thu Jan 17 2008

Late 2006, wanting a fun-to-drive small car with cargo space for big dogs, bicycles, and other bulky items, and with no Honda Fit available in the Portland, OR area, I purchased a silver Element EX-P, 5-speed. Bottom line: this is a few-frills, small little trucklet, with mediocre driving dynamics, that is maddenly efficient at carrying all manner of stuff. After 20 months and 20K trouble-free miles, getting ~ 24mpg (I coast alot, really), I've given up trying not to like it. Foo. The interior has acres of hard plastic, and there's few cabin ammenities, but everything functions well, and the element drives nimbly--though you'd never mistake it's driving characteristics for a 'sporty' car in a zillion years. Our kids have 4 legs and fur, they can jump in the back with ease, so the wacky side doors don't bother us much. A mountain bike (or 2) fits inside with ease, and I've slept inside it, during a solo camping trip--with the gear and bike inside, also. So the Element hits the mark for 2 'sport-hogs' adults (even us in our 40's), with dogs, and gear. This little pokey truck continues to grow on me, dang it.

Lots of fun

by ob1 from Niles, Mi on Thu Jan 28 2010

Very reliable, awd works great for winter driving, rear passengers love the stadium seating, lots of fun to drive, easy to park, a great value, I would buy again.

Great outdoors rig

by EL-MT from Montana on Sat Jun 28 2008

The Element has been the ultimate vehicle for my lifestyle, which includes many fishing, hiking, backpacking, camping and road trips. Its access is great for loading and unloading gear, easy to keep clean and has enough room for four people and their gear for a day trip. Its all wheel drive, handling, ground clearance and fuel economy make it ideal for any kind of adventure, though it is more of a rough-roader than an off-roader. Its AWD and ABS make it a tank in the snow and ice. All around versatility, cargo capability and high fun to drive factor make this a great car despite its "toaster" styling.

Humble and Excited

by Johnny-O from Meridian, Idaho on Fri Jun 22 2007

So when my neighbors both bought Honda Elements I thought they had gone crazy. Maybe it was being middle age crazy for the sensible middle class. They talked me into looking and then I bought the 2006 element. What an awesome car, err suv, errr utility camper kinda of thingy. This vehicle does it all, almost. Satellite radio, scotch gaurded seats, a floor you can sweep the beach sand off of, more room in the drivers seat than my former Chevy Silverado, this car if the definition of fun and practical. It has the same engine as my other Honda, the Accord. Different transmission and gear ratio and slightly less gas mileage especially on the highway. Take this 4 wheel drive onto the beach with the sun roof out and really enjoy what it can do. Clean up is a dream. I'm stylin now in a vehicle I never thought I would own and one I won't soon give up. This vehicle has something most other cookie cutter cars and trucks fail to have, that is simply personality!!

Versatile if not economical

by YouDude60 from Santa Maria CA on Mon Feb 25 2013

Absolutely love the roominess, utility and ergonomics of the interior. Trading painted fenders for he eyesore faded plastic ones was the single-best improvement Honda made for the Element. The ride and overall quality is truly amazing. The (mixed-driving) 20 MPG is the achilles heel of this vehicle. Call me greedy, but I'd hoped for much closer to 30-- and highway mileage above that. YD60

1 2 3 4 5

Our Take on the 2006 Honda Element

Honda learned a valuable lesson when it created the Element in 2003 to attract young buyers: You can ask, but you can't tell, youth what it wants to buy.

Element arrived as a compact sport-utility, though crossover seems more apropos for its SUV function in the look of a boxy wagon.

It took a novel approach to design--look different than anything else on the road with front and rear bumpers, lower fenders and rocker panels consisting of gray plastic rather than body colored sheet-metal--to cater to youth.

Other novelties included swing-back, or suicide, rear doors, and rear seats that folded along the walls rather than folding flat or flipping forward for more cargo room.

Because youth tend to be more... Read More