Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2008 Fit

2008 Honda Fit

2008 Honda Fit

4.5

4 out of 5 stars Comfort

Have You Driven the 2008 Honda Fit?

2008 Honda Fit Sport aka: Misf1t

by Misf1t from White, Georgia on Thu Nov 10 2011

We just love our 2008 Honda Fit Sport. ~ We have not had ANY trouble with it at all so far and we also love all the room it has. ~ For a small car it has more room than you'd ever believe!! We got about 34 mpg on the hwy. when it is FULLY loaded down for a long road trip that we too recently, We drove over 2000 miles RT and we were very comfortable the entire trip!! None of our friends and family could believe everything we got into our FIT. ~ Guess that's why they call it a FIT?? ;)

It Fits

by Pathman from Whiting Vt. on Sat May 02 2009

I bought a 2009 Fit Sport with auto transmission 10 days ago. So far I am very pleased with the car. It is NOT perfect by any means but at this price point it is a fine little go kart! First the not so strong points. The power with the automatic is adequate but you wont be running away from any Evos! The interior fabrics and plastics are not on a par with Civic or Accord, but again at this price point they are ok. The ride is firm and at times a bit jiggly over broken pavement but on the positive side it hangs flat and tight on corners and you can dodge potholes like crazy, its like think it and you are there! Stereo is good, 160 watts, and it has an auto volume feature that raises the volume as the road noise increases. The back seats have some cute tricks too. They fold up off the floor giving a nice deep storage space for those potted petunias your wife wants! There is also a "secret" compartment in the bottom of the drivers side back seat to store stuff in. Gas mileage is great. I am getting 40 plus mpg according to the bar graph readout on the odometer, well above the EPA highway rating of 33 mpg. The front seats are supportive and comfortable. I have plenty of room and I am a big guy, 6ft 1 and 350 pounds. Finally I really like the styling of the 09 model. A sharp looker for sure!

First new car! What a gem!

by Making my little part of the world the best I can! from Athens, GA on Tue Aug 05 2008

Following months of planning, saving and researching, the Fit always came out on top! But being realistic, I knew exactly what I wanted- The Fit. I owned a 1994 626; 4cyl; 5spd man; ~300,000 miles when given to my brother; ~36cty / 42hwy mpg; I had very high expectations. Got the 5spd man Sport. The Fit blew them away! What I have observed and measured: Oil consumption- None; Acceleration- much better than expected with this engine; MPG- ~38cty / 45hwy (I have the data!); Driving / Road noise- Low, but more noticeable than my 626; Fun factor- 10 of 10; Economy- ~$40.00 to fill the tank from dry; Functionality- UNBELIEVABLE!; Overall rating- 9.5 of 10. I am looking forward to owning / maintaining this car for many years to come.

Versatile And Accommodating

by AJAR from HOUSTON, TX on Fri Dec 23 2016

You should first know that I am the original owner of this high-functioning base model 2008 Honda Fit; this means that, nine years and 125k miles later, it's still trucking! My life has drastically changed in the last decade, so my driving patterns have changed accordingly. In 2008, I comfortably hauled 4 adults and their hiking supplies on a backpacking trip to West Texas. The car handled long stretches of road smoothly. In 2010, although slightly cramped, this Fit carried an entire rock band 300mi north to Oklahoma. That is, it fit 3 adults, 3 guitars, 2 amps including a huge bass amp, an entire drumset hardware and all, and various merchandise. Now this is a tiny car, so on the road you could tell that it was weighed down. However, it still managed an impressive 30mpg. Over the past five years I've used this spacious car to move from one place to another, many times. Today, 2016-2017 (besides my daily commute to work) I drive this well-worn car 150mi to and from Houston, averaging a modest 27mpg. All this to say, I'm obviously happy with this vehicle and will continue to drive it until it retires. If you're considering buying one, get ready to be pleased!

Drove it 150,000 miles ? just sold it ? great car

by LeeBabySimms from Colorado on Thu Dec 04 2014

The Good ? super fun to drive compact with 34MPG tankfulls, insane cargo hauling, bulletproof reliability. The Bad ? unsupportive seats for long distances, seat material not stain resistant like other Hondas, it's lightweight can make it a tricky drive in heavy snow (largely fixed with high performance snow tires). I bought my Fit new and just sold it after 150,000 pleasurable miles. It was a work car for me and over and over the "miracle seats" paid dividends hauling all sorts of items you'd never dream of putting in a vehicle this size. I work events in some of the most scenic areas of the Rocky Mountain West and the handling of this Fit is truly world-class. With proper tires the handling is sublime, and the gear box is precise. Up and down twisty mountain roads is where this car shines! A good friend has a Mini and he would ask to drive my car on stretches he familiar with, always singing the Fit's praises. If you plan to do any mountain driving in snow, top-rated snow tires are a wise addition. This is a light car and it sometimes has issues getting through the thick stuff. Also, the seats are the biggest weak spot. They're unsupportive on long trips and the material doesn't take real-world spills very well. You can't have everything at this price. I had no major issues in 150k ? what few unexpected issues I had were minor and inexpensive. The Fit was my 5th new car purchase and by far the most reliable. Gas milage was great for cars of it's time ? I could count on 34MPG every mixed city/highway tankful. 38 was the best tank I ever got, on the highway ? flat drive, no wind. I will miss driving this car, a lot.

From an SUV to a Fit fits!

by Practical and comfort driven from Seattle, WA on Sun Aug 24 2008

Before purchasing my Fit I had been driving a Lexus RX300 SUV daily to and from work and I loved it at 20 mpg. It is even better for long trips. However, I wanted to get something smaller and more efficient for commuting. I did my research and decided on the Fit. But when I went with my husband to buy it... My husband and the salesman talked me into a Civic. I drove the Civic for two months and only got 23 mpg and it was a struggle to get in and out of. I finally said enough and took it back and got the Fit and have never been happier. Even my husband who is 6 ft tall likes to drive it. I have osteo arthritis and getting in and out cars can be painful. The Fit has a wide door opening and is high enough that I do not have to crouch down as far as the Civic. This made all the difference for me in comfort. I do all city driving and got 30 mpg right off the lot. (wish I knew how others got 38 mpg). It sits next to our Lexus and it is so styling we call it 'Mini Me' as it looks like a small version of our Lexus. We only wish it had cruise control, an outdoor temp indicator and the mileage calculator for long trips and if we can get that we may trade in the Lexus for another Fit in the future.

A good fit for your walllet

by Matt from Washington DC on Tue May 24 2011

I bought a higher mileage Fit a few months ago and was surprised at the actuall interior room for a car that look tiny on the outside. I'm averaging about 37 mpg in varying traffic in the Washington DC area which is absolutely awesome. If you are big on styling in a car this is probably not your vehicle but if you like a practical, economical and surprisingly quick subcompact then this is a great buy.

Another Great Honda

by Doc from Syracuse, NY on Sun Aug 24 2008

First of all, the car does have all the features that Honda claims it has even if the sales staff doesn't know how to operate them. You may have to read the owner's manual carefully to configure the car into all of its advertised mode. In order to put the car into recline/sleep mode, you need to tilt back the rear seats. Second, my car routinely exceeds the published MPG performance. My combined Highway/City average is 39.29 MPG with peak measured performance of 43.97 MPG. Lowest observed performance is 36.91 MPG. My version of the car is a base model with standard transmission and dealer installed remote keyless entry. Vehicle features include: Hatchback with rear washer-wiper, Front Disk Brakes, air bags all over the place. Theoretically, 5 passenger capability. Air conditioning, AM/FM/CD Stereo, but not HD stereo. Also, while the US version of the Standard Fit has an Auxiliary Input selection, unlike the Canadian version, it does not have an actual Auxiliary Input. Also, unlike the Canadian version, it does not have daytime running lights. You can turn on the lights during the day, but this appears to automatically dim the dashboard lights. As advertised, the sound system does automatically adjust itself to ambient conditions. The air conditioner is quick and effective. The heater at times seems somewhat anemic compared to my old 1997 Ford Aspire.

All good things

by Biz_Markie from on Tue Nov 24 2009

Really fun car - 5-speed manual is among the best I've ever driven, great handling, not exactly fast but fun to rev the VTEC. A blast to drive on back roads, because it's so light and the steering is so responsive. Has been reliable over 20K miles with great MPG (about 40 MPG average around town). Definitely more at home around town than on the highway, would not recommend for long trips (esp. without cruise control, which mine doesn't have). Interior has lots of space and flexibility, really awesome for hauling lots of stuff. Only downside is that it looks a little dinky, especially without the Sport package. Overall, a fun car that won't cost you much to buy, fill up, or maintain. Very pleased.

Sports Car Enthusiast

by Sports Car Enthusiast from North Carolina on Mon Dec 13 2010

I just love the vehicle. Several complints I had to get the break seal light on the real hatch fixed, recall in the door fixed. Over all, its a gem! I will most likely keep buying this vehicle.

1 2 3 4 5 6

Our Take on the 2008 Honda Fit

Editor's note: This review was written in May 2006 about the Sport version of the 2007 Honda Fit. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what details are different this year, check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

The Fit — yes, it's called the Fit — is Honda's entry in the growing class of shrinking cars. Two things are behind this unlikely downsizing of American vehicles. One is that the Chevrolet Aveo and two Scion models have succeeded recently in exploiting the market previously cornered by the likes of the Hyundai Accent and Suzuki Esteem. When automakers see pie, they want their slice.

The second is simple: gas mileage. During last summer's... Read More