2012 Insight

4.4 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.6 out of 5 starsReliability

Excellent Commuter Vehicle

by Skyislander from Tucson, AZ on June 29, 2013

If you want one car and all you do is level-terrain driving, commuter-driving, errand-driving, then this is it. Forget the videos, I have 15,000 miles on mine and I'm getting 44mpg in Tucson blasting A/C all the time. If, on the other hand, you need one-car-fits-all I'm not sure. Im not that overweight and on long drives it's not that comfortable. If you are into gadgets be prepared the Civic lets you stream music from your phone through bluetooth but the Insight does not. That annoyed me. My ipod/iphone has to be connected to the USB to make music happen. Using hands-free via bluetooth works great- really great actually. Just not streaming music and I don't think any bluetooth radio I've seen does a good job with iPod navigation. Let's get back to the part about how this is a car for driving/commuting. On one long drive through mountains coming out of San Diego my brother drove his top of the line Prius (with solar roof panels) and he had nothing on me in terms of speed and I beat him on gas mileage-- and I was using the paddle shifters to over-ride the automatic transmission. Let's talk transmission. I think CVT is the best things since sliced bread for transmissions and the Insight is very smooth. It's also silky quiet. The shuddering thing (in Econ mode the engine literally turns off at stoplights and then when you release the break pedal to go, it starts back up again instantly) I've read is not something I've experienced on mine- 2013 model. If you think its there and it bugs you then hit the econ button and the engine won't stop at traffic lights. I think the econ button mainly helps you if you want to modify your driving habits to maximize fuel economy by giving you excellent visual LCD indicators that give you instant feedback if you are driving. Now remember, if you turn off the Econ button then here's a tip: If you drive like your great grandma, you will get phenomenal gas mileage-- up to just under 50mpg in my case. If you drive like you're 16, open container, and you just stole something, you'll have to settle for 42-43mpg. I drive it like I really mean it and blast the A/C all the time and I get 44 mpg. The engine is quiet and I think very refined but obviously not powerful. If you need to romp, get a car with a more powerful engine. If driving the legal speed limit annoys you, get a different car. If you really need to drive through floods and rutted roads on a routine basis, don't get this car. If you drive with a lot of combined weight in the vehicle get a different car. If you go up and down mountains, get a different car. If you are the type of person who wants to feel wrapped in cast-iron and on-top-of-everybody-else when you drive I don't think you'll be happy with the Insight. On the other hand consider this. Let's start with those reviewer videos. If you look at the "professional" video-reviews and wonder if the reviewers are Toyota employees, trust your gut and buy this car, made by Honda-- I'm not a Honda employee and I don't work in (or on) "cars." If you want a vehicle meticulously engineered with state-of-the-art technology to provide comfort over short-medium distances, hi-tech features like Continuously Variable Transmission, traction and tire sensors, and oh by the way 44 mpg all at a very compelling price from a company renowned for quality, reliability, and longevity, then buy this car.

cheap transportation

by money saver from Michigan on June 25, 2012

Recently purchased Insight Ex and took a road trip to Canada. Averaged 47.4 mpg with freeway driving and headwinds. When crusing at 60, am averaging more than 52mpgs. It needs babying when climbing steep hills but its worth it for the economy. I purchased the Insight based on other consumers reviews and I highly recommend it for others. Buy the Insight and use your money for other things instead of foreign gas.

great for sales

by road sales from Memphis TN on August 18, 2012

Came with no defects Driving 800 - 1000 miles a week - getingt 48 -52mpg depending on conditions. Plenty of room - am 6' 3" and 230 - car is comfortable all day. Plenty of room for samples. Quieter than any Honda I have ever owned. Not much in terms of cup holders, and they are hard to reach. 20k miles in first four months - no problems or issues - note that tire pressure sensors may false read after hitting a deep puddle. Two adults can sit in the back seat and not be cramped. Car has exceeded my expectations. I will likely buy a second one.

Superior car!

by Tiffany from Stow, ma on December 10, 2012

so many people feel the peer pressure to choose the Prius. The Insight costs less & the mpg is almost as good. The review I had read talked about a rougher ride; I did not feel it in the test drive or ever on my own. It is a wonderful vehicle!

Honda does it again... love this car !!

by Insight is Outtasight Awesome from Red River Valley North Texas/So. Okla on March 3, 2012

Its not a luxury limousine or a Nascar but it is the most awesome, fuel efficient, comfortable (Iam 6'2" 215 lbs)and quiet hybrid on the road as far as I'm concerned. It handles like a dream and shuts out road and engine noise and has a very solid feel. I bought the EX w/Nav and it gives our little hybrid the feel of a much bigger and more expensive car. It gives tremendous fuel economy both in city driving and espectially on the interstates. I average over 52 mpg on the interstates without even trying. Love our little "Door Wedge".

Fantastic Prius alternative!

by hound_hank from Memphis TN on November 15, 2012

I purchased a base 2012 Honda Insight about 8 weeks ago. The Insight is stylish, sporty and in my opinion had a better ride than the Prius. The base model comes without anything - so I had the dealer add cruise control at his cost! (I mean why would Honda sell a car in this day and age without cruise control?) The car has averaged between 44 - 48 mpg combined. (I did get 51 mpg combined on one tank of gas - but 44 - 48 is proving to be the range based on my driving style.) The base Insight is $5000 to $7000 cheaper than the Prius (based upon my shopping experience) My only negative comment is that finding an Insight at your local dealers is not easy!

51 MPG

by CW3 US ARMY from USUHS, Bethesda Naval on April 23, 2012

I was very skeptical, but I am honestly averaging 51 MPGs on both city and highway. I commute over 38 miles one way and I gladly gave up the comfort of my Volvo S40 for the Honda Insight. Getting twice the mileage is worth losing my "Man Card" at the dealership. It is less Hybridish than the Toyota Prius and not at all what I had expected. I have been in the Army over 16 years and never thought I would lose power over mpg's....but I am a true believer after saving over $125 this month !! Do yourself a favor and just test drive one, before gas gets to $5 a gallon.

Great Car but watch for pricey extras

by Happy as a clam from Torrance, CA on February 27, 2012

As with all dealerships, extras are costly. I love the hatchback features and the fold down seats in back. It's a smaller car than my last Hybrid but more available room. So far I've averaged about 41 MPG. If I were on the freeway more, it would do better with mileage.

Stunning value, and a great drive

by Alfettaman from UK on April 3, 2012

I've read reviews of the Insight elsewhere, and some seem to miss the point that this is a completely different kind of car. It actually teaches you how to drive more economically. My Insight EX cruises quietly, has comfortable full-leather seats, voice control of many features (including the air conditioning, sat nav and audio), cruse control, bluetooth phone connection, a socket for your iPod, and much more. I'm only on my second tank of fuel from new, but already we're close to 50mpg (US)/60mpg(UK)! The IMA motor uses regenerative braking to slow the car whilst charging the battery pack - so that energy is there to help you off the line from the lights, instead of being lost as heat in the brakes. The continuously variable transmission works smoothly and seamlessly but if you prefer to change gear yourself, you can put the lever into 'sport' mode and drive it as a seven-speed manual, using the paddle-shifters on the steering wheel. But that kind of misses the point of this car: let it do all of that for you, quietly optimising everything, helping you achieve great mileage in a thoroughly enjoyable way. I thought a hybrid would be expensive, boring and deeply compromised, but the amazing Honda Insight has proved me completely wrong. Add to all that a great warranty, Honda's legendary reliability record, cheap insurance, one of the highest safety ratings, ultra-low road tax - and this becomes a hugely compelling choice that gets close to the perfect compromise of practicality, good looks and minimal running costs.

The Hybrid for the Rest of Us!

by Mike-Pennsylvania from Philadelphia region, PA on March 25, 2012

As my 9 year-old Chevy Cavalier approached its 10th State inspection, I decided to look at a new car rather than spend a hefty amount in repairs. I had 4 criteria for a new car: 1. Top Safety Pick / Low cost to insure; 2. 40+ mpg; 3. At / around $20k; and 4. High reliability / Low overall cost of ownership. My search kept coming back to the Honda Insight which I've since purchased and have been thrilled with ever since. Honda truly over-delivered on this product...and here's why I'm a satisfied customer... 1. MPG: It's rated at 44 mpg for highway...I've been averaging ~54 mpg!! 2. Price: I went into the dealer armed with a buying service number from USAA...they beat it by over $1,000 (sold below invoice)! 3. Interior features: I love the green/blue speedometer backlit display and the loads of information that dash board display includes. The controls on the steering wheel to include the paddle shifters (EX) are also great. I've become accustomed to down-shifting on uphills and in passing situations and it has made this car a lot of fun to drive (most fun I've had driving since my wife's moritorium on 'stick shift' was enacted 15 years ago ;-). The climate control also works great and is more in line with a luxury sedan's system than a $20k hybrid - pleasantly surprised! I also really like the USB port for iPod; Nav system; voice recognition; and rear camera (EX w/NAV). 4. Exterior: The car looks better than a Prius...I know...I know...I'm the same guy that tells my kids to get sneakers that fit and not to worry about looks, but this car has a unique sporty look that I like a lot. EX model comes with nice alloy rims and turn signal lights on side view mirrors. It has the feel of a sporty sedan and sips gas at the same rate or better than its competitors. Again, I'm not sure why it's rated at 44mpg...my experience has been much better. 5. It's a Honda: I've been a GM guy for awhile, but having experienced Honda service on our minivan these past few years,the increased reliability, and the low cost of ownership...I'm becoming a Honda fan. As an example, they had a software update on the Insight a few weeks ago and sent me a nice letter with a thumb drive and also offered me the option of taking it in to the dealer or doing it myself. I installed it myself with the USB port in 3 minutes. Neat system! In summary, I couldn't be happier with my 2012 Insight. Great car for the money. It's also a great feeling to go 380 miles and "fill up" the tank with 7-8 gallons of gas. The comparable Prius was $7k more for the same options. I toyed with the idea of a Chevy Volt, but even with the incentives...it was well out of reach. If you're used to driving a V6 or V8, you may have some adjustment as it won't have the same 'passing power' that you're used to...but for a hybrid, it has pep. The 2012 Insight received IIHS safety awards and KBB lowest total ownership cost awards...check it out...it's definitely worth a look. Good luck. - Mike

1 2 3