2005 Elantra

2005 Hyundai Elantra

2005 Hyundai Elantra

4.3

4 out of 5 stars Exterior Styling

Have you driven the 2005 Hyundai Elantra?

One of the Best I've Ever Owned

by eclectic108 from Rochester, NY on Mon Apr 13 2009

Bought this GT hatchback new in 2005, I've driven this car just over 80,000 miles. The car is still tight with no rattles, squeeks or leaks. Other than a bad 2nd gear synchronizer and a faulty power mirror switch (both covered under warranty) this car has been virtually trouble free. Despite the repeated salt baths cars receive here in upstate NY, the body remains rust free. Gas mileage continues to average 30.8 MPG in mixed city/hwy driving. Leather seating surfaces and interior remain like new. Seats still provide excellent support even after several hours of driving. Many cars that I've previously owned have shown shown many more problems by this point in their lives, including A/C, PS & oil leaks. No such problems with this car. Remains an excellent value.

Nice Car, But Not Trouble Free

by '05 Base from Buffalo, NY on Sun Jun 21 2009

I bought this car right out of college when my old car died. I passed on any options and got an excellent deal. The standard features are great. I've grown to accept the soft handling and appreciate the smooth, quiet ride that comes in return. I also very much appreciate the quality and appearance of the dashboard and driver controls. This car really offers a lot for the money. Power is good for this class, although the engine does sound coarse and booming approaching 4000rpm. I average about 31mpg in mixed driving. Now the bad stuff: The clutch started slipping at around 32K, was not covered under the much advertised warranty and cost me $1000 to replace. The hood began to rust at the leading edge near the latch mechanism. That was replaced under warranty. The power mirror switch began to act up and was replaced under warranty. The replacement also began to act up but I just live with it. Finally, the oxygen sensor failed and was replaced, also under warranty. After all that, I still like this car. However I will probably trade it in sooner rather than later, rather than wait and see what other issues crop up.

So Happy, We Own Two

by Happy Hyundai Owner from Keller, TX on Fri Feb 12 2010

My wife bought a new Elantra in Spring '05. She was so happy with it (and I was so impressed after driving it) that I bought one that fall. It is now Feb '10 - we are still driving the same cars, and we still love them. We get regular maintenance, and neither of us have had any mechanical problems whatsoever. I travel a lot for work so I drive rental cars quite often. I always get compact cars (comparable to the Elantra), and even the NEW models of the Cobalt, Sentra, etc. don't compare with the driving experience of my '05 Elantra.

Great first car

by teenager from Indianapolis on Sat Nov 21 2009

this was my first car and I really enjoyed it. The only thing is that it is too small for me personally, but it is a great car. GREAT MPG! Interior doesn't take long to wear away though.

Great First Car!

by Love my 05 from Northern Virginia on Thu Apr 30 2015

This is my first car although I learned to drive in a mini van but I am in love with my Elantra. I was very skeptical at first when I bought the car one year ago because it had 102000 miles already on it, but this car still impresses me every time I drive it. I saved up for years for a car and this one was definitely worth every penny. The pedals are very responsive (more so than my parents' new cars) and the steering is smooth and easy. I'm usually driving alone and passengers never complain so there is plenty of room. I've put another 4000 miles on it and living in a suburban area I'm getting about 20 mpg still which I can't complain about. I had considered selling the car this year when I go away to school, but I know I would regret it an I can't part with it. I do agree with another review that the cup holders are a little close but I have fit two full large Popeyes drinks in there without spills so it's alright.

Great car, great gas mileage.

by Jack from Houston on Fri May 20 2011

This car is great. Gets excellent gas mileage, one of the safest cars on the road, and it's inexpensive.

More features at an affordable price

by A proud owner from Dallas, TX on Mon May 15 2006

New 05/5D/GLS/ElectricRed/$14.3K/8months/3Kmiles + sleek, stylish, spacious, sharp turning, smooth ride, good pick-up, 10yr warranty. - poor mileage (<25mpg)

what a reliable workhorse!!

by TexasIndian from central Ohio on Tue Jan 09 2018

bought brand new October 2005 w/37 miles, NOW 180k: spent 6 years as wife's daily driver + 2 as 'utility car' (vacuous hatchback) + 2 with neglectful daughter, which prompted wife to TAKE IT BACK for the last 2, returning as her work commuter instead of our new grandkid-hauling minivan (she LOVES this car!). Bottom line: a very basic 'plain jane' that STILL drives well (local daily, Florida twice, Hilton Head thrice, Texas 5 times!!) and besides brakes/oil/tires/etc. the ONLY mechanical parts that have been replaced are a loud 'flex' exhaust pipe and the O2 sensor (this was easier to replace than a spark plug!! open the hood, and it's staring up at you!!). Amazingly resilient!!

Great starter car

by forihab@hotmail.com on Mon Dec 18 2017

Great starter car or second car 2005 Elantra with only 108,000 miles. runs great with ice cold air, new brakes, new radiator, new battery great tires, always changed oil at 2500-3000 miles. just need some love and care

For me it's an iconic of all Hyundai models

by Suli from on Sun Jan 01 2017

I've owned it for 8 years, such amazing car comes once a decade. It rarely faced a mechanical troubles and usually it's my neglect fault . body is almost rust free, its performance is pretty good with comfortable seats. I wish Hyundai makes again a new car as the same as Elantra 2005 specs . Thanks my lovely car

1 2 3 4 5