One of the Best I've Ever Owned

by from Rochester, NY on April 13, 2009

Bought this GT hatchback new in 2005, I've driven this car just over 80,000 miles. The car is still tight with no rattles, squeeks or leaks. Other than a bad 2nd gear synchronizer and a faulty power mirror switch (both covered under warranty) this car has been virtually trouble free. Despite the repeated salt baths cars receive here in upstate NY, the body remains rust free. Gas mileage continues to average 30.8 MPG in mixed city/hwy driving. Leather seating surfaces and interior remain like new. Seats still provide excellent support even after several hours of driving. Many cars that I've previously owned have shown shown many more problems by this point in their lives, including A/C, PS & oil leaks. No such problems with this car. Remains an excellent value.

So Happy, We Own Two

by from Keller, TX on February 12, 2010

My wife bought a new Elantra in Spring '05. She was so happy with it (and I was so impressed after driving it) that I bought one that fall. It is now Feb '10 - we are still driving the same cars, and we still love them. We get regular maintenance, and neither of us have had any mechanical problems whatsoever. I travel a lot for work so I drive rental cars quite often. I always get compact cars (comparable to the Elantra), and even the NEW models of the Cobalt, Sentra, etc. don't compare with the driving experience of my '05 Elantra.

Nice Car, But Not Trouble Free

by from Buffalo, NY on June 21, 2009

I bought this car right out of college when my old car died. I passed on any options and got an excellent deal. The standard features are great. I've grown to accept the soft handling and appreciate the smooth, quiet ride that comes in return. I also very much appreciate the quality and appearance of the dashboard and driver controls. This car really offers a lot for the money. Power is good for this class, although the engine does sound coarse and booming approaching 4000rpm. I average about 31mpg in mixed driving. Now the bad stuff: The clutch started slipping at around 32K, was not covered under the much advertised warranty and cost me $1000 to replace. The hood began to rust at the leading edge near the latch mechanism. That was replaced under warranty. The power mirror switch began to act up and was replaced under warranty. The replacement also began to act up but I just live with it. Finally, the oxygen sensor failed and was replaced, also under warranty. After all that, I still like this car. However I will probably trade it in sooner rather than later, rather than wait and see what other issues crop up.

Great first car

by from Indianapolis on November 21, 2009

this was my first car and I really enjoyed it. The only thing is that it is too small for me personally, but it is a great car. GREAT MPG! Interior doesn't take long to wear away though.

Impressed

by from Colorado on November 9, 2010

I bought this car a few months ago with 150*** on the odo. I haven't had one complaint. I get compliments on the exterior and the MPG are great. I was most surprised by the pep that the little inline 4 has. Fun to drive, reliable, and great on gas, what else do you need?

Great bang for the buck

by from culum on October 1, 2008

I have owned this Elantra from new, and its been a great car so far. The pros: It is great on gas, never given me a problem, and is easy to drive. The cons: The clock inside is cheap. I mean digital watch from 6th grade cheap (you'll know what I mean when you see it). When The AC is on there is NO power (The engine just gets loader, and nothing happens). The car looks like a cross between a Daewoo and a Kia with sculliousis (forget about impressing anyone with this) Overall: The gas mileage is great, it will fit all your friends, and get you were you need to go cheap. It is, what it is... It is a Hyundai.

Great car, great gas mileage.

by from Houston on May 20, 2011

This car is great. Gets excellent gas mileage, one of the safest cars on the road, and it's inexpensive.

Pretty good car!

by from San Diego, CA on June 7, 2007

I have owned my Elantra since new, and overall it has been a pretty good car. Gas mileage is quite good, it's comfortable on long hauls, and I haven't had any maintenance issues except for a passenger airbag recall. I really wish I'd have waited until the 2007 came out though, those look very nice! But if you are in the market for a used car, you can't go wrong with a 2005 Hyundai Elantra.

More features at an affordable price

by from Dallas, TX on May 15, 2006

New 05/5D/GLS/ElectricRed/$14.3K/8months/3Kmiles + sleek, stylish, spacious, sharp turning, smooth ride, good pick-up, 10yr warranty. - poor mileage (<25mpg)

I Love My Elantra

by from Montgomery County, MD on January 17, 2009

I bought my Elantra out of the Hertz rental fleet. Fit and finish are par with Toyota. The interior compares favorably with my wife's Camry. Handling is "sound" but not exciting. It's a real "bang for the buck" car.

Similar Models