2008 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews

4.5
Average based on 36 reviews

Great Value

by from Vista, CA on March 19, 2010

I am enjoying the car very much. It is solid, fast and delivers 30-35 mpg. It has all the features I need in the GLS model - and then some. I specially enjoy the low noise level at high speeds - unlike others that have high wind and road noise. I would suggest a 5 speed automatic for a better shift pattern, It likes to get into 4th too quick - and that leaves low power for acceleration. Capn Jim

Unexpected find

by from Seattle on July 9, 2010

I was replacing a Honda Accord EX that my wife and I loved after it was totaled by a hit-n-run while parked. We very much wanted to replace with the same, but were willing to look at Civics, Toyota Camry or Corollas. We did extensive research on safety, reliability, and economy and felt set on our search criteria. We searched and searched and could not find the right car (had to be a manual with a sunroof and no leather interior). We drove three rentals while looking - two Fords & a Chevy - and found all very lacking. We test drove a lot of cars and still nothing. Finally, I branched out and tried the Hyundai and was very pleasantly surprised. We found one at a screaming deal and got it (only compromising on some interior amenities) and I really like the car. Gas milage has been great and keeps getting better (it has a neat computer which tracks mpg). I knew little of Hyundai and was reluctant to consider it but now I would recommend it and include it in any further car search. *** Only complaint is a vibration with either the back shelf/window ledge or trunk liner. Otherwise, a really nice car.

Great Valve, ok refinement.

by from Dallas/Ft.Worth, TX on February 27, 2010

We bought our 09 Elantra in June of 2009 and it has be trouble free since owning it. We use it as a commuter (80 miles/daily, M-F) and a run around car on the weekends primarily because of the gas mileage. It get about 28 mpg during the daily commute (approx. 70% hwy, 30% city). On our 2-hwy trips we got about 35 mpg at 70-75 mph. Good (but not great) gas mileage. I like the interior and exterior styling but seats could use better lumbar support as was event during our hwy trips. By comparison, we've made the same trips in an 08 Taurus (with lumbar support) and our backs felt much better. Our only other gripe is the engine noise during hard acceleration. The 95 Accord we had (which got wrecked) seemed more quiet and refined during hard acceleration. Overall, a good car for the money and a good commuter. The highway trips are for our 08 Taurus.

Very Good Car With One Caveat

by from Burlington, VT on January 2, 2012

My 2008 is almost all I could hope for. Not too bad looking for a sedan, great mileage (33 to 36). Roomy, comfortable and feels like you are driving 40 when going 60. It is pretty quiet for an economy car too as in no wind issues. The one weak spot is that the suspension is horrible. Hence the 3 rating on performance. It feels every bump and makes noise and rattles. I thought there was a problem because the car was used with 40k miles on it. My mechanic gave it a clean bill of health. All in all I guess I can live with it since everything else is so good. Just something to know.

Its very economic

by from on January 31, 2013

Very economic but a very little engine. Low horse and tourc. Around 35 mpg. Comfy inside. Nice stock speakers.

great value so far

by from Denver, CO on May 7, 2010

We have 35k on our 2008. Only one mechanical problem-water pump was noisy at 6k and dealer replaced under warranty. Biggest dislikes? Clutch and engine torque don't work too well. Three experienced drivers have trouble with killing the engine about once a day. The trans makes a clunk when down shifting into first while moving. Our light colored upholstery is a stain magnet, but we are a sloppy family too. Otherwise it is a great all-around sedan for comfortable and economical transportation. It was several thousand cheaper than a Toyota or Honda when bought new in 08, and has much better warranty.

so far so great

by from raleigh,nc on September 26, 2011

had to buy a car quick. new it was coming, started looking. the elantra was the first car i saved in my search. looked at 3 or 4 others, but went back to the elantra and never looked back.

Great car.

by from Stamford, CT on July 17, 2012

Great car. Very reliable, performs, great, good mileage, low maintenance, nice styling, ample interiors, plenty of trunk space.

Reliable

by from Sioux City,IA on November 17, 2009

I got this new and i haven't had anything go bad,geting 23mpg in city 32Hwy,has the 16 tires rides well the only bad thing i can say is the road noise,need to work on that,gets around good in the winter with light snow.Features and value for the money u cant beat it.

Solid car!

by from buffalo, ny on June 5, 2012

This car has never failed me in driving in both harsh weather when hydroplaning and in the dangerous conditions of backroads. I have never got less than 33.3 mpg from this car yet!. The handling is a little bit rolling, but the trade for comfort and road holding ability is worth the trade off on long trips across states. Very little maintenance is need, just the usual oil changes, and fluid fill ups.