2012 Elantra

2012 Hyundai Elantra

2012 Hyundai Elantra

4.5

Have you driven the 2012 Hyundai Elantra?

Best Car I Have Purchased

by Samwise from City Driver on Wed Jul 20 2011

This vehicle not only has the best exterior styling in it's class but it has an interior well above average. Gas mileage is very good and the ride is sporty. I have racked up a lot of miles on my new car as I just like to get in it and drive!

Best Investment Ever Made

by Retired Auto Engineer from Anderson, Indiana on Tue Jan 10 2012

I have owned and operated many different cars over 45 years and this car is by far the best overall vehicle that I have ever owned. It's style inside and out, handling, performance, and actual statistical results far exceeded what they forecast. The gar mileage alone is better so far than they said it would be. City driving alone was forecast at 28 mpg and my wife is getting over 34 mpg city and she is tough on stopping and starting in the city. I am very satisfied with this car and also glad it is assembled in the US. Buy American!

First time Hyundai owner

by first time hyundai from Dallas, TX on Thu Oct 20 2011

Never could quite get 29 mpg in City driving, always hovered around 26-27 which is still very good but not as advertised. Great styling, very comfortable, interior looks good, very much enjoy the added extras like blue tooth and sirius xm. Lots of cup holders. Performance as good as can be expected, engine is whiny when revved but it is an economy car. Overall very happy with it

2012 Limited Elantra

by Olyguy0 from Olympia Wa on Mon Feb 20 2012

Purchased 02/16/2012 so still getting use to the performance of the car. Ours is Desert Bronze with Beige interior. Love the color combination. The layout inside is very ergonomically friendly and the different finishes in side are very up scale. I'm 6'3" and am very comfortable in the front and rear seat. The steering wheel has manual tilt and telescopic. Lots of electronic goodies, Bluetooth, i-pod, built in XM. Have already had several compliments on the exterior design. We traded in our 02 Santa Fe after 106000 and feel very confident that this Elantra that advertises 29/40 mph will deliver many carefree miles. For less then $21,000 its a deal.

2012 Car of the Year

by Big Daddy Fitness from Modesto, Ca on Tue Jan 24 2012

This is my second Hyundai purchase in one year. My first was a 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE, which me and my wife fight over to see who gets to drive it next. Love the Elantra for stying, tech package and price for what you get. I was looking for a commuter car that would be good on gas, comfortable and have the tech to keep me entertained while driving. It does all three. My driving is primarily 20% cit and 80% highway and I am averaging 33-35 mpg combined. Highway only I recently averaged 37-38.5. Love the heated seats, map, bluetooth and overall exterior and interior. The steering can be a bit less sensitive as it is hard to get a feel for the road. Car has good excelleration for a high MPG car. I was a Honda buyer the last 10 years who is now a Hyundau buyer.

good enough for the money

by Smithy1 from Illinois on Sat Jun 30 2012

we bought the elantra with high expectations. and the result was pretty good. its powered by a 1.8 4 cylinder engine, and it does the job but i feel the power could be better. the ride on most cars in this class can be very hard, but the elantra is just worse the suspension is very hard and i feel like im going to loose control overy every large bump. it has an eco button but this makes the car very underpowerd so i would reconmend turining it off. but im not going to lie without the button i still reached an average mpg of 32. if there was a upside to th elantra it is the exterior and interior they are nicly crafted and all the controls are straight forward. and reliability is very good we really havent had much problem with it. overall the elantra is a good car but i wish it could be just a little bit better.

Tires, tires & tires

by jimbo from Ohio on Wed Feb 29 2012

Great car and am really impressed with everything my my 2012 limited has a lot to offer. Would have paid $5000.00 more to get a similiary equipped Accord or Camry. Now about the O.E tires. Don't settle for them. Check out the Tirerack web site to determine how well the tires on the car that you are about the purchase are rated by consumers. My guess is that they are poorly rated. I did this and was able to swap the Hanhook tires for Michelin Primacy MXM4 and only paid the difference between the O.E tires and the clearly superior Michelin's. About $50.00 per tire. And the dealership found the tires and installed them before I took possession of my new car. Great tires will help to lessen somewhat the road noise that some have referred to. Overall at only 1,000 miles of driving I am really impressed

Peppy, smooth rideing, quiet, stylish fun car.

by Franko from Indiana on Mon Dec 26 2011

Have had the car for a month now and I love driving it. It gives a smooth quiet ride and has lots of get up and go. Comfortable interior with plenty or room for my 5'7'' body. The back seat has plenty of leg room but a tall person will hit their head on the roof. I find it plenty roomy for me though. Reality check about the 40MPG. I was able to get it but the conditions must be perfect. Flat, in cruise control minimal changes in speed. Expect around 36 mpg highway being very gentle with the gas peddle. Gas with alcohol also reduces your MPG so keep that in mind. I will mention a couple of negatives: 1) It does not come with a spare tire. It comes with a tire inflation kit with some kind of tire sealer in a can. I prefer the spare so I don't have to immediately run to replace a flat tire fixed with the tire sealer. I bought a rim and used tire from a tire store and a jack from a tool store for about 1/2 the dealer cost of 300.00 for the spare tire kit. 2) Power drivers seat is not available. The seat only adjusts up and down, forward and back and the seatback reclines. A 6 way power adjustable seat would be a nice addition. 3) This car is very popular. The dealers will not deal, in fact they are charging more then MSRP to buy a car in the lot. The best I could do was MSRP to "preference" a car from the factory. I waited about 5 weeks then the dealer made a swap getting me the car about 4 weeks before the original delivery date. He positives outweigh the negatives. I would recommend this car to anyone.

Very Good Deal for Price

by Hyundai Buyer from Kenosha, WI on Tue Apr 24 2012

We purchased the 2012 Silver Hyundai Elantra Limited and are very satisfied with the purchase. The features (heated seats, sunroof, navigation, key fob, etc) are great and you cannot get as much for the price elsewhere. My particular favorite is the ability to leave your key in your purse even to open the doors with a touch of a button on the outside. The car is very stylish and has pep. We considered the Honda Civic, but ultimately decided on the Elantra considering all the options, feel, and very similar gas mileage. If there is a down side, maybe it is that in order to get the great gas mileage you cannot drive like a speed racer. The car still has get up, but you will loose much mileage by slamming on the gas versus more consistent gas use.

So far I love it!

by Sal from Los Angels, CA on Mon Nov 14 2011

I haven't driven it 2000 miles yet, but so far I am very happy with the car. Due to the interior size and setup, it really feels like a much larger car. No complaints yet...except that so far I am getting no more than 24 mpg, as I have mainly been using it for short runs off the highway.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 12

Our Take on the 2012 Hyundai Elantra

Editor's note: This review was written in December 2010 about the 2011 Hyundai Elantra. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what's new for 2012, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

Estimated mileage ratings have been lowered to reflect a November 2012 EPA audit of this car's stated mileage.

One of the likely consequences of the federal government's push for more stringent fuel economy standards is that more people will be driving smaller cars in the future. Not too long ago, with the exception of a few distinguished compact cars, that didn't look like a very appealing reality.

That's changed with the debut of efficient models like the... Read More