Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2009 Genesis

2009 Hyundai Genesis

2009 Hyundai Genesis

Have You Driven the 2009 Hyundai Genesis?

A Surprised Convert ... Best Luxury for $

by New Hyundai Convert from Providence, RI on Thu Aug 05 2010

I've owned the Genesis 3.8 for over a year and, having owned Volvo's, Audi's, Saab's, and driven a host of other so-called Luxury sedans, there is not a SINGLE luxury car in the $40K+ range I would rather own. This car has gorgeous, though imitative and understated luxurious lines ... has an impeccable, first-class interior ... unequaled sound system (Lexicon) ... and is an absolute ROCKET SHIP to drive! The ONLY factor preventing my giving 5 star ratings across the board is that I live in New England, and with rear wheel drive and the Dunlop performance tires, and with no all-wheel drive option, traction suffers in the snow. But overall, if you drive this car on any but a snowy day, you will positively fall in love with it ... as I have! I am a new (and admittedly surprised) convert to Hyundai quality ... look out, Lexus!

A GREAT Car at Any Price, But WOW for What I Paid!

by Yankee Fan from Northern NJ on Wed May 13 2009

If it wasn't for the Genesis being named North American Car of the Year, I wouldn't even have considered a Hyundai. I looked at Lexus, Infiniti, Acura & BMW and got all the luxury features I was looking for in these cars in the Genesis for thousands of dollars less. It drives great, with the best brakes I ever experienced. I did get the Tech Package and find it easy to use after I spent a bit of time reading the "quick start" guide. Love the backup camera & the rear sun shade along with a great audio & Nav. system. I would have liked a bit more distinct styling than a Mercedes look a like but mine came with the Genesis winged decals on the hood, trunk and wheels which makes it look VERY cool. I love this car!

Owning a car I've wanted a long time

by Genesis Owner from Acworth, GA on Tue Nov 15 2011

I wanted a Hyundai Genesis 4.8 as soon as they came out. I couldn't afford one at the time, but I found an excellent condition used one in my price range and I went for it. It is incredibly comfortable, with very good performance. The power can overmatch the tires at times so you have to be careful on wet pavement, especially going up hills. The air-conditioned driver's seat is very nice for the hot summer weather in the south. The car looks great, feels great, drives great and has lots of luxury items from turn adjusting headlights to backup cameras to the aforementioned air-conditioned driver's seat. I was looking for a performance car when I stumbled across this vehicle and although I felt like I went from performance to luxury, the performance is better than many of the cars I was originally looking at. Be careful, though, you don't feel like you're going as fast as you are. You don't want to be cruising down the highway only to look down and realize you're going 100. The only complaint is that the backup camera has gone out a couple of times, but I think it's just a loose wire and the keyless entry fob sometimes doesn't work in cold weather (but it recognizes the proximity of the fob when I press the unlock button on the driver's side door).

My First New Car

by Scooter Rider from North Central Washington on Thu Mar 11 2010

Bought this as a Demo vehicle with 6000 miles. Great car with many features comparable to Infinity, Lexus, BMW. Nice drive. I've had lots of favorable comments from friends. V-6 has plenty of power. No Regrets.

Surprise

by Rob from Newport Beach, CA on Fri Jan 29 2010

This is a surprise to Mercedes,Lexus, and BMW. Having owned the top of the line of all, not only is the Genesis 4.6 loaded, a better car for the money, (Half the price at 42K), but a better performer, with all of the electronics and accessories included. (Includes the S600, and LS 460 and 5 Series). Presently still own the Lexus LS. Take a good look. Sporty suspension.

Hyundai's Home Run

by Car Fan from Boston on Tue Jan 04 2011

I have owned a 2009 Genesis sedan, premium package, for 18 months and my enthusiasm for its comfort, performance, and extraordinary luxury value for the $ is unabated. While Hyundai has been accused of simply copying the best features of its high-end competitors in BMW, Lexus, and Mercedes, in Genesis they have hit the ball out of the proverbial park! The Genesis has a powerful but elegant profile, exceptionally comfortable but pragmatic interior, and hardly a week goes by that I am not asked by someone in the parking garage or neighboring gas pump: What kind of car IS that?! The only liability is the lack of traction control (and the high-performance but poor bad weather Dunlop 5000 tires) as I live in New England. But otherwise there is a nearly perfect blend of power, handling, and even fuel economy ... with the best sound system I have ever heard in a vehicle with the Lexicon. Once you test drive this car, you will have to have it!

Get over the logo and get into this car....

by GenesisRocks from Philly burbs on Mon Jun 15 2009

I purchased a 3.8 with tech package about 2 months ago. The tech package is worth the extra money!! The car is fabulous and truly a great bargain. I compared it with a range of cars from a top-of-the-line Accord, Infinity G37, Accura TL, Nissan Maxima, Lexus LS, and BMW 5 series. If money was of no concern, I probably would have purchased a fully loaded Infinity G37x with AWD, but the Genesis fully loaded was much, much less money. WHAT I REALLY LIKE ABOUT THIS CAR: - Fit and finish. The interior is truly luxurious. - Whisper quiet. - An absolutely amazing Lexicon 17 speaker surround sound audio system that is the best I seen/heard in any luxury car. - It still appeals to my frugal side by using regular gas and I get about 23 mpg in mixed driving. - The 3.8 V6 is very peppy and when you kick it in, it will move you fast. - Backseat heat/AC is independent of front seat controls. You can have A/C in front and heat in the back. AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT: - in some road conditions at slower speeds, the ride is a little more bumpy than I would expect. However, it is not a big deal to me. - Blue tooth integration doesn't import phonebook - Rear seats won't fold down (although trunk is huge and there is a small pass through area) WHAT I WISH IT HAD: - AWD - Adaptive Cruise Control - Auto-retractable side mirrors

2009 Genesis 3.8. Bought at 100k

by Dandeman from Chester, NY on Sat Jan 07 2017

So just bought this car in Dec. 16 with 100k on it. Was looking for a safe, solid vehicle that was reliable. Read reviews on the BMW 5 series but there was a lot of reliability issues. So far after driving for 2000 miles I will say the suspension is a bit harsh at times and I'm looking to install the 2013 suspension to help take some of the harshness out. However, get past this one issue and I have to say this car is wonderful to drive. On the highway is where this car excels, as it seems like it floats on class but still stays firmly planted. For a 6 cylinder it has plenty of punch. The transmission is right and smooth. Being RWD I did get an extra set of Genesis wheels and put some Nankang snow tires on it. You never feel a loss of control with this car, I'm thoroughly impressed that a car of this size and weight feels so connected to the road. The interior is also very nice. We don't have the Nav system which I hear it's probably a good thing. The seats may be a bit firm but they are comfortable. The leather seem to be a very good quality, heat controls are easy to use, heated seats work great, beautiful layout, and the Lexicon stereo has incredible symphony type sound that is crystal clear. Forget that the badge says Hyundai, this is one heck of a fantastic vehicle! I understand the 2012 thru 2014 is nicer with Bluetooth on the steering wheel and a bit better suspension. I also read that the new version 2015 forward is an even better riding vehicle. Thoroughly, thoroughly impressed with this car!

Best Yet

by Pete from Anthem, AZ on Fri Jan 29 2010

This car has exceeded all my expectations. No problems yet at 5900 miles. Excellent gas mileage on my V6

Awesome car

by wolfman from Wisconsin on Fri Mar 14 2014

Purchased a loaded 2009 3.8 with 40M miles. Definitely the nicest car I've ever owned, but I've never really bought anything in the "luxury" category. As many have said the ride is somewhat stiff, but compared to what I'm used to it's no big deal. I love the Lexicon stereo aside from the Ipod interface. I've found it's easier to just run the ipod throught the headphone jack into the aux port rather than use the special Hyundai connector. Takes too long to find the songs you want... Can't really speak to the reliability yet, but based on others experiences I'm assuming it'll hold up well. Not many of these around my area, so even though they've been around for awhile now people have been asking what it is and how much they like the look of it.

1 2 3 4 5 6

Our Take on the 2009 Hyundai Genesis

Hyundai's all-new Genesis is unlike any car the Korean automaker has brought to the U.S. before. It's a rear-wheel-drive full-size sedan that's available with Hyundai's first V-8 engine in a passenger car. After driving the car extensively in and around Santa Barbara, Calif., it's clear to me that Hyundai got most of the important elements right: The driving experience and the cabin's ambience and amenities are all there.

What's less certain is whether buyers will be accepting of a Hyundai — a brand better known for small, affordable cars — with a starting price of $32,250, even though that price includes a number of standard safety and convenience features. It's going to be difficult, but... Read More