Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2012 Genesis

2012 Hyundai Genesis

2012 Hyundai Genesis

Have You Driven the 2012 Hyundai Genesis?

2012 5.0L Non R Spec

by Ahead of the Curve from Philadelphia, PA on Mon Dec 19 2011

Let me start by saying this is the 2nd Genesis I've owned and the difference between this one and my 2009 3.8 is staggering. The 2012 is vastly improved (Performance, Comfort, Quality, Fit and Finish). I've owned Lexus, Acura, Toyota and nothing compares. Easily the best value of any large luxury sedan on the market today. I opted for a 2012 5.0L non R Spec...wanted the acceleration but didn't want the firm ride of the R Spec. This car is lightning quick and extremely comfortable. I was considering a 2010 Lexus LS 460, Mercedes E550, BMW 550i etc.. saved myself nearly $20K and sacrificed NOTHING! Absolutely phenomenal car and couldn't be happier. The 8 speed transmission is seemless. Fit and finish is superb. Interior is minimalistic but that is fine by me since the car has every available option-standard. One improvement I know is on the way is AWD but otherwise, this is an excellent vehicle that I would recommend to anyone who wants a top performing luxury ride substantially below market value. Hyundai is making some of the best cars available today...period!

Excellent Value

by Average Joe from Scottsdale, AZ on Thu Dec 20 2012

Traded in my Lexus LS460L AWD 2010 with 29k for the loaded 2012 Genesis 3.8 with Tech package. I couldn't be happier. Things I like about the Genesis is the interior lights are bigger and brighter; the Lexicon stereo sounds better than the Mark Levenson stereo in the Lexus. The cup holder is better; when I stop hard my cup doesn't fly forward as it does on the LS460 because of the design. The Genesis has a better back up camera with lines to guide into a parking space and distance lines to determine when to stop. The 2010 460 didn't offer this. Is the ride as silky smooth as the LS460? No, but it is very close and I find the handling to be quicker with the Genesis. Gas mileage is superior to the AWD LS460 and having a 6 cylinder vs an 8 helps alot. I don't lack speed and exceleration with the Genesis; the transmission is smooth and power excellent. The air conditioned/heated seats pass more air than my Lexus did; another bonus and lastly, the control knob near the gear shift makes moving from maps to music very easy. This car has great value; has all the features my LS460 had for a fraction of the cost. It seems very well built and speaking to owners of older Genesis from 2009 have had no reliability issues which I expect too..

My first Hyundai

by Tony from Florida on Mon Apr 09 2012

This is the first time I buy a Hyundai. I have owned several new cars: Monte Carlo, Olds Delta 88, Ford 150, Nissan Maxima, Nissan Pathfinder, Lexus LS400, Lexus 350 ES, Toyota Avalon, Toyota Camry etc., but the Lexus LS400 and the 2012 Genesis are the ones I like the most. The Genesis offers a precise, smooth, quiet ride and a superb acceleration even with 3.8 L engine. I fully agree with the statement made by a professional reviewer, that "Hyundai is doing to Lexus what Lexus did to Mercedes 20 years ago", meaning making equally good or better cars at a fraction of the cost. I was driving a 2011 Lexus ES 350 and bought the Genesis for my wife to replace her dying Toyota Camry. But after the purchase I fall in love with the Genesis and decide to pass the ES350 to my wife and keep the Genesis for myself. This is only the third month that I own the Genesis and I do not know how it will behave in the long range but so far I love it and cannot find any weakness of it.

2012 Genesis R-spec - Great Performance Sedan

by Landtuna from Phoenix, AZ on Mon Dec 31 2012

This car is absolutely the best performance sedan I have ever owned. I posted reliability as four-star only because car was delivered with an out-of-date nav map. Otherwise, nothing was amiss upon delivery nor has anything gone wrong in the 700+ miles I've driven it so far. It takes a thorough reading of the owners manual and a few days behind the wheel to get acclimated to all the features, and to be truthful I have found a few to be a bit over the top, but most are handy if not essential and well thought out. It is comfortable despite other reviews saying the R-spec rides rough (it does not and my cousin, who has a new Genesis Tech says he cannot tell the difference). The ladies love the seat warmers. The audio system is as good if not better than my home theater. The nav/audio system (DIS) takes a bit of time to become used to and I personally think the pushbutton 'premum' system is much easier but I like how it operates and have yet to take full advantage of all the features. I have the V-8 R-spec model and so far it seems to be getting about the same MPG as my cousin's V-6. If you want more acceleration or speed just touch the gas and you are GONE! I am getting around 22 MPG in mixed driving and upper 20's on the highway and the car has only 700+ miles on it so far. If you enjoy the power and performance of the car your mileage will vary of course. The entire car is quiet and the engine so smooth you can't tell if it is running or not. Easily the equivalent of the Toyota Avalon I owned for the past 11 years but doesn't have the rolling and undulation of soft suspension. I can't think of anything except a simpler nav system that would make this perfect car even more perfect.

Good ride and very quiet

by Robert from Vincennes, IN on Mon Nov 07 2011

I purchased the 2012 Hyundai Genesis one week ago. I have owned two Camry's and two Accord's in the prior twenty years. I did my homework prior to purchase and I am convinced that I made a correct choice. The car is quiet and the ride is smooth. The gas mileage indicates 30 to 31 MPG on the road. The car has an eight speed transmission and is so smooth that you can't tell when it shifts. This is by far, the best car I have owned. The only negatives that I have observed are: Why would a car manufacture place an ashtray and cigarette lighter in a vehicle? This is 2012, not 1960..This is a waste of space and an insult to my integrity. The simulated wood dash accents cause some reflections which can be distracting.

2012 Genesis (V8) wonderful!

by Rick in Fort Myers from Fort Myers, FL on Thu Jul 31 2014

I've owned several Acura TLs and a Lexus, but became a Hyundai enthusiast several years ago when I retired - and the budget got tighter. Love our Sonata, but I didn't like the Tuscon Limited (ugh) I traded in for my 2012 Genesis 4.6. I like tech features, and finding a v6 Genesis with Tech Pkg in the pre-owned market is next to impossible. So I opted for a 2012 4.6, which was discontinued that model year. The 4.6 is loaded to the gills, so there is no need for "options." I was nervous about a v8, but I've been really pleased with the gas mileage (well above what the invoice said), and I run only regular gas! In the month I've had it (and driven plenty of miles), I've been more than pleased, and my expectations - even after lots of research - have been exceeded. Want a premium car at a very nice price? You won't go wrong with this one!

I'll Have Another

by BJH from Bowie, MD on Wed Aug 26 2015

In early August of 2015, my 2010 Genesis was totaled in a rear end collision. While standing at a complete stop waiting for an emergency vehicle to clear an intersection, another driver plowed into my rear bumper at over 30 miles per hour. You may ask why mention the above. My son and I sustain no major injuries despite the rear of our Genesis being tossed into the air by impact. My car's whiplash devices deployed and the belts tensioned and we were okay in the end. When I saw how the Genesis took that impact and protected us, I had to own another one. So, I went down to my Hyundai dealer and replaced my 2010 4.6L V8 with a 2012 Genesis 4.6L. Trust me when I say not only is this a fun car to drive and own, I wouldn't want to be wrapped in any other metal but the Genesis if I happen to be in an accident.

Hyundai Genesis sedan outstanding

by Mr. Sheps from Arizona on Sat Nov 30 2013

The 2012 Hyundai Genesis sedan is absolutely the best value for the money in any mid-size 4 dr sedan. Its performance is years ahead of Honda Accord V-6 (290HP), Toyota Camrys V-6 (270HP), and premium burning Nissan Maxima (290HP). The Hyundai has about 338 HP, not even close to the other competitors. This car has fit and finish, extremely quiet, and plenty of power on reg unleaded. You can buy a brand new Genesis, 2013, for 24,900.000. What a bargain. Plus the long warranty, it cant be beat.

The best car I have ever owned to date

by Mr. Ruiz the average Guy. from Highland Park, California on Tue Mar 04 2014

This car is excellent in just about every way possible. The interior is very roomy the genesis sedan does not feel like a Typical Hyundai matter of fact it feels far more expensive then what it really is. The leather seats are soft to the touch as well as the door panels are wrapped with some plastic but also has plush soft touch leather on them. One big com ain't I do have is the length of the rear seat belts are very short and practically buried under the seat. So if you have kids that still require booster seats you will have a hard time every day putting the seat belts on over the booster seat with your child in it. The car is very quiet. Cargo space is very big. Battery is located in the trunk next to spare tire. Factory amp to the standard 7 speaker system is located on the rear fender right side so just incase you were wondering. The sou d system sounds great but lacks alot of bass for my years from the factory subwoofer. The speakers are about 38 watts rms for each tweeter and each speaker front and rear doors. The sub woofer is 25 watts rms via dual 2 ohm load and 50 watts peak so the speakers on the doors over power the subwoofer. Tech is pretty good for my non navigation unit. I have a Samsung galaxy note 3 and was able to pair my phone e with the genesis radio via bluetooth for hands free calling and for bluetooth audio as well. It has an auxiliary input with a 3.5 jack and has a usb thumb drive capability which I am currently using a 16 gb usb drive with mp3 format music. The car really does give me 17 miles to the gallon in the city and an average of 27 miles on the highway. So it's excellent on Gass for a 3.8L v6 that gives 333HP and 291TQ. Overall I am very happy with my purchase.

Bang for the Buck

by PK Driver from Southern California on Thu Apr 05 2012

If you prefer quality, performance and value over name and prestige, consider the Genesis. It's an all around entry level luxury sedan, not too stodgy, not too pretentious. Upgraded V6 is amazing at 333hp and performs like a V8 with the standard 8 speed transmission. If there is one minor difference in this car compared to those priced 15k higher. it's the suspension that feels like what you would expect on a 35k car. Everything else is value way above the price.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Our Take on the 2012 Hyundai Genesis

Editor's note: Estimated mileage ratings have been lowered to reflect a November 2012 EPA audit of this car's stated mileage.

When it made its 2009 debut, Hyundai's flagship sedan, the Genesis, was a marvel. It offered rear-wheel drive, a potent V-8 option and an interior nearly on par with those of Lexus and Acura. It was so good, Cars.com bestowed upon it our highest annual award, "Best of 2009." For 2012, the Genesis gets some mild tweaks to its looks, undercarriage and, most importantly, to the engines, including an all-new 429-horsepower, 5.0 liter V-8.

Updates make the 2012 Hyundai Genesis even better, but they might not win over today's fickle buyers. Even so, shoppers won't find a worthy alternative... Read More