Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2012 Sonata

2012 Hyundai Sonata

2012 Hyundai Sonata

4.4

Have You Driven the 2012 Hyundai Sonata?

Bigger and Better Than It Looks

by Happy with Hyundai from Cincinnati, OH on Tue Nov 01 2011

After months of research and test-drives, the 2012 Hyundai Sonata came out on top. I purchased the GLS model with the $750 option package that added a power driver seat, alloy wheels, auto-dim lights, and a few interior upgrades. I am right at 2900 miles, mostly city and am still excited to drive it. I'm converting from a 1999 Infiniti I30, that had plenty of room and many nice options. Believe it or not the Sonata has more interior room (front & back) than the I30. My family and friends have made the same comment without any prompting from me. While it may be a four-cylinder, it accelerates without hesitation or excess noise. Once at 65-75 it cruises smoothly and quietly. Since I tend towards the deaf side, I had my all-hearing wife drive it for a few days and she agreed that it drove quietly. I think it handles very well, but temper that with the 12 year-old I30 I was driving. The seats are very comfortable, both front and back, and I have had a rear passenger that is 6'4", with a front passenger that is 6' with no knee touching seat problem. The trunk is HUGE...take a look and you will be amazed. A compliment I hear frequently is the dash and control setup. It looks sleek and is ergonomically friendly. I had one issue and that was the XM Radio would not pick up the signal to turn on. Hyundai was giving three months free upon purchase. After the first service visit, the decided to replace the radio. It worked fine once it that was done. I made the suggestion that maybe the dealer should have the XM option activated prior to delivery of the vehicle. For what I paid, I consider this an excellent value for what you get. I would at least get the power driver seat option, since the manual seat does not bring the seat up high enough to comfortably rest your left arm on the window sill (if you drive like that). Now when I read these I wonder about the person who wrote the review...are they knowledgable, crazy, hyper-critical? I am a hard-working middle-class cop who doesn't like to waste money. I researched and drove several cars, trying to learn something from each salesmen I spoke with. I'm no businessman, but it obvious that some car salesman were not quite so honest. I lucked out in the end and found someone who knew what fair deal meant. Hope this helps.

Best Car Buying Experience

by Nuts about my Sonata from Pittsburgh, PA on Thu Sep 15 2011

I have been a General Motors guy for quite a while and have heard all of the hype about the Hyundai line-up of vehicles. I was not impressed at first until I got behind the wheel of my new Sonata. I was looking for something that would get good gas mileage while giving me the comfort I need on those three to four hour trips I make several times a year. I am impressed. This new Hyundai is fantastic. The comfort of the seat and the quiet ride make driving this car quite a welcome change. I am impressed with the power under the hood. The car will not win any challenges from a dead stop but for the driving I plan to do with it there is plenty of power. I bought the GLS model and the features in this base model are more than adequate for my needs. I have used the bluetooth and plugged my iPod in right away. Everything works with little effort at all. This car is well worth every penny and I am looking forward to settling into a nice long road trip in it soon to relax and enjoy myself.

Really?!

by NewHyundaiFan from on Sun Sep 11 2011

What can I say that the other reviewers already haven't, except it's true. The Hyundai dealer was our last visit yesterday to check out and test drive these cars. We were told "not to overlook the Hyundai" by a family member who has been in the new and used car business for 30 years. We are glad we took his advice. He had visited the plant in Alabama and knew all about the technology on the motor and how a non-turbo 4 cylinder can get 198HP and 35 MPG! Like another reviewer stated, you can't even tell that this is a four cyclinder. The 6 speed auto transmission is very smooth. Yep, we bought the 2012 Sonata Limited, Sparkling Ruby paint with the saddle leather interior. We also drove the Sonata Sport version, but the additional options on the Limited made us choose it. My wife and I started our car shopping task nearly 2 weeks ago. My wife said this auto shopping experience was like a full time job, which is true, if you do countless research time along with the sometimes dreaded dealer visit/sales people experience. I took advantage on a couple of occasions and used the internet quote method. This was very convenient and usually the best price; however, The Hyundai shopping was at the dealer and the sales person was great. He didn't waste our time with the pitches that seem to go on forever with some (I even texted a friend to call me while we were at another dealer just so I could tell the salesman I was being "called out" to work). My wife got a good laugh out of that when we were driving away! I got up before dawn today and took the car for a drive to get a paper and coffee. Opened the moon roof and enjoyed a short drive before anyone else was out and about. I will update this review as time passes to provide updates. Good luck with your car shopping!

2012 Hyandai Sonata

by TelescopeMan from on Wed Aug 10 2011

Very simply the car is outstanding. Ride, drive, gas mileage, quiet interior- you can actually hear the radio without turning the volume way up! Lots of standard extra features included that you pay for on other brands. (bluetooth, usb ports)- the interior is excellent and has lots more room in the backseat than say a Nissan Altima.

Review - 2012 Sonata

by Satisfied Owner from North Carolina on Sat Nov 23 2013

I purchased this vehicle with about 26,000 miles on it. To this point, I have been very satisfied with my Sonata and have not had any problems. The interior is laid out well, and the vehicle has a good number of features for the money I spent. There is adequate room for passengers. My right leg seems to get a little cramped/uncomfortable at times while it's resting against the center console, but that's about it. Even with the ECO button on, the vehicle still has pretty good acceleration and enough power for the "average" driver, in my opinion. The transmission shifts very smoothly from gear to gear. That's one thing I noticed right away. Some people have complained about steering problems, but I have not experienced any. Yes, the steering is a bit tight, but not to the point that I dislike it. There is a little road noise in the cabin, especially on rougher pavement, but I suspect part of that is from the tires that came on it. Even with the way it is now, the noise is not to the point of being intrusive or objectionable. The vehicle gets good fuel mileage, but I am not sure it gets as good as Hyundai normally advertises for this model. I have found that I need to be extra careful when changing lanes, as the "blind spot" on the driver's side seems to be a bit larger than normal...or maybe it's just me! Overall, I have enjoyed my Sonata to this point and have been happy with my purchase. It has given me solid performance with no problems at all.

Love, Love, Love my Sonata!

by First-time Hyundai Owner from Fayetteville, NC on Fri Sep 30 2011

Did I mention that I love my Sonata? I do. I've had it for 3 months now and I find reasons to drive.

2.0t se review

by Hyundaiowner from hamburg,ny on Tue Oct 25 2011

just bought my 2.0t se in may have had this now for 5 months love love love the car.Very sleek looking,and rides smooth with a little extra get up from the turbo that also only needs 89 octane to boot what more could you ask for from a car.

Best Car I have ever Owned...

by Mzjulz from San Antonio Tx on Wed Oct 19 2011

I've had my New 2012 Sonata Limited for a month now and im so happy I made the right decision! Gas Millard is outstanding, I drive 40 miles a day to and from work and a full tank will go on for about a week and a half, big difference from my previos Mustang. All the extra features like the glass roof andgreat sound system makes it all too good. The space is just right, and trunk space is huge for a sedan. Exterior design turns heads and it's sporty/classy all at the same time.

Great Car

by James from Denver, Co on Wed Apr 29 2015

I'm 83 yrs old and have owned many cars, but this one is the best one I've ever had. It handles well and so far haven't had any problems. The exterior is a dream to keep clean and the interior comes close to that. I'm old school so I don't have need for some of the features like the young say they need, but I would recommend the car to anyone.

Big Bang for Value

by Former Bimmer Owner from San Jose, CA on Tue Mar 20 2012

The car is roomier than it looks. Power from the 2.4L is great for daily commuting. The MPG's are good and can be achieved. I had a road trip that the computer started with 22mpg and ended with 33mpg. The car is responsive and solid. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for good looks, feature loaded (cd, blue tooth, sat radio, power windows, power locks, etc...), decent power and handling, and reasonably priced.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17

Our Take on the 2012 Hyundai Sonata

Editor's note: This review was written in October 2010 about the 2011 Hyundai Sonata. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what's new for 2012, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

Hyundai's redesigned Sonata sedan has exploded onto the market to become one of the most popular cars available, period. It's the best example of how a good-looking product at a competitive price can lure customers — even with just one available powertrain: a four-cylinder engine wrapped in a package built for comfort and fuel efficiency.

While that version is setting the sales world on fire, the company is rolling out a higher-performance trim level &mdash... Read More