1999 Cherokee

1999 Jeep Cherokee

4 out of 5 stars Comfort
4 out of 5 stars Interior Design

Have You Driven the 1999 Jeep Cherokee?

Best vehicle I have owned

by Regretting getting rid of my Jeep, Richmond, VA from Richmond, VA on Fri Jul 22 2011

My wife brought the 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport to the relationship. We used it for several years without ever giving us a problem. When it was no longer needed for daily duty I put larger tires on it and started using it off road for fun on the weekends. It was great on the beach and the most capable stock vehicle I have ever wheeled off road in the mountains. It could be counted on to tackle some rediculous trails and get me home after. The biggest automotive regret I have in my life is getting rid of it. I traded it for a 2005 Grand Cherokee Limited. Most people would find that a much better ride but I never trusted it off road (everything is electronic, not mechanical like in my 99) and it drank gas like nothing else I have ever had. I miss my 99 Cherokee Sport.

I want my Jeep back :(

by Mom from cold Tundra of Wisconsin on Wed Dec 22 2010

I recently totalled my 99 Jeep Cherokee in a head-on collision. Prior to that, it was the greatest vehicle I have ever owned. I never worried whether it would start, never worried whether it would get my family & me from point A to point B, never worried about a thing! It was so low-maintence....The last hurrah of this awesome vehicle was to save my family's life recently. It it weren't for its sturdy steel frame, I'm certain we wouldn't have walked away from the crash the way we did. If you are fortunate enough to find a 99 Cherokee for sale-snag it up. If you own one now, don't ever let it go...you will not find a safer, more reliable vehicle. I wish they still made these!

Tough, Durable, Dependable

by Raff from Medical Lake, WA on Sat Mar 28 2009

After years of owning Volkswagens, I was convinced I'd never find more durable, reliable vehicles. That changed when I gave a guy $7000 for my Cherokee Sport seven years ago. At the time it had 97,000 miles on it. It now has over 170,000....and all I've had to do is change the oil twice a year and buy new tires! There are no leaks anywhere on the engine, transmission, transfer case or axle. And to be honest, I'm no maintenance nut...this thing does not make regular trips to Jeep folks for preventive maintenance (although I must admit I finally took it to a lube place once to have all fluids checked, just in case). With its 4X4 it is great in the snow, the 6-cylinder engine is plenty potent, all power locks and windows still operate flawlessly, the gas mileage is decent, and the AC is very cold. It's old enough that I don't baby it when banging around the back roads on fishing and hunting trips. And it cleans up very nicely! The only con is that I sometimes have to swat the underside of the steering column to get it started (my redneck anti-theft device). Beyone that it's better than the Energizer Bunny. I would not hesitate to buy another, even one with high miles. Why can't all manufacturers build vehicles like these? And why in the world did Jeep discontinue this one?

This car will never fail

by Emily and James from Wyoming on Sat Mar 27 2010

I had owned my jeep for almost a year, and I loved it. It never got stuck even in the worst winter storms here and I got great gas mileage with it. It had 136,000 miles and had much more to give. I bought it private party for what was left on the loan; it was a great deal. My husband and I rolled it twice driving down the interstate in NM, 3-24. We were not injured in any way, and the jeep doesn't even look like she was really rolled, but it is considered totaled. If we had been in our other vehicles, we wouldn't have survived that crash. If you don't mind the front speakers giving out, get one. They last forever. I just wish I could have mine back.

1999 Cherokee Limited

by Jeep Jr. from PA on Sat Dec 31 2011

What a great buy for the money. This is the iconic SUV. All of the other's are copies. Some of them are more comfortable and many get better gas milage but for the money none offer a better value. The Cherokee limited has all of the features of the 97-99 model years considered by Jeep Cherokee enthusiasts to be the best of the breed. It adds the much needed ABS and the great advantage of the NP-242 shift on the fly 4x4 transfer case. You also get the luxury of a full leather interior, heated seats, and an overhead console. Considering the current price of these capable offroaders and their creature comforts they represent a value hard to beat if you can find one with a resonably low amount of mileage. Anything under 125k is considered just broken in. At the current prices even the relatively poor fuel economy can be forgiven. If kept in good repair they hold their value very well. If your looking for a great winter vehicle and don't want to spend a fortune these are great.

Love it!!!!

by thejeepboi from St. Louis, MO on Sun Sep 25 2011

i love my jeep it has never broke down and its just plain awsome... i wish Jeep still made jeeps like this now there not that reliable anymore

Uses car for Off-roading

exactly what I WANTED!

by cherokee enthusiastgreat for a 12 year old from on Tue Dec 21 2010

This is an excellant jeep for being 12 years old. It is in great physical and asthetic shape and runs---well, like a jeep. The 4.0 inline six is a bear of an engine. One of the best torque producers ever built. Truly bullet proof. Heated seats, power windows, door locks, power front seats (both),heated and power side mirrors. More bells and whistles than I ever thought came on a jeep, AND they all work! The one major drawback is I have to feed this beast!

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

great vehicle

by jeeper from Goshen IN. on Mon Aug 04 2014

My 1999 Jeep is the best vehicle I have ever owned !! It has been the most reliable of any car or truck I've had.

Best Car I've Ever Owned

by Jeep Lover from Flemington, NJ on Wed Jun 10 2009

Purchased in 2000 with 8,000 miles. I had owned this car for 9 years, had over 190,000 miles on it when it was stolen! Had given it to my son 4 mos ago. Looking for another one with less miles. Never put a dime into the car except for oil changes, tires, etc. So reliable plus the look never goes out of style.

This is my third jeep cherokee

by 4 Wheel Drive Woman from Pepperell, Ma on Fri May 16 2008

Not only has each jeep been very reliable but my mechanics are awesome! I have had minimal surprises, in terms of repair, and the cost of repair hasn't been outrageous. My only concern is the miles per gallon isn't great.

1 2 3 4 5 6