2001 Cherokee

$16 - $10,464  MSRP Range
2001 Jeep Cherokee

4.3

4 out of 5 stars Interior Design

Have you driven the 2001 Jeep Cherokee?

A true legend. Period.

by Totalschaden from Fort Collins, CO on December 13, 2008

This car is a legend without doubt. A true beauty and incredible fun to drive. Absolutely reliable and relatively cheap to maintain. If you want a pure off-roader, you might wanna go with a Wrangler, and if you want a commuter, look for something more luxurious and gas-saving. If you need a car for both town and country though, this is the one. Great in snow, too.

Love my Jeep

by Randygotajeep IL from Springfield, IL on March 29, 2010

This my first Jeep and i love it. I wanted a 4x4 and it does well. Got to play in the snow for the first time in all my life. Havent had any problems yet. When i found out it had the Inline 6 that was the key ingredient. I had another vehical with a strait 6 and it had over 500,000 thousand miles on it and did not have a bit of trouble with that engine either. I plan on keepin the jeep for a very long time. starting with 63,000. I got a long way to go.

Keep on Truckin'

by DEELEE from Knoxville, IA on October 22, 2013

I have owned several Jeep Cherokees over many years. I am currently driving a 1998 Cherokee Classic that I bought in 2001. It had 54,000 mi on it then. Now it has 207,000. I have had no major mechanical problems. I have had to replace the radiator (as well as 2 other of my Cherokees) and I have had some problems with the power locks from the Driver's door controls. Electrical set up with Chrysler products is always interesting. I live on gravel and this Jeep will go through Mud, Snow, Off-road anything with no problem. A plus too is, this Jeep has the Part-time AND Full-time 4WD option. This option is getting hard to find but is VERY handy when you are driving slick-dry-slick-dry, etc. road conditions as you don't have to move it back and forth between 2WD & 4WD. And the 4.0 straight six is indestructible. My Jeep uses no oil and I have had NO engine issues and I haven't been too good about timely oil changes.

Jeep wrote the book!!

by cdgadart from finger lakes, ny on December 28, 2009

I have owned Jeeps since 1990. Good vehicles overall. I do most of my own maintenance on my Jeep and it is an easy suv to work on. I have put 70,000 miles on it since I bought it 4 yrs. ago with only 43,000 miles. I use only synthetic oils in all of my cars and have never had any major motor repairs. The 2001 is by far alot better designed suv than the 1991's that I owned. The transfer case shifts in and out easliy in the 01 compared to the 91. The mileage is maybe the only issue as you can only get 20 over the road.

Great SUV

by Brutus from Trapper Creek, AK on August 8, 2010

Bought a used Cherokee a few months ago. The Cherokee has been nothing but great, except for a minor problem with the left-front speaker. The 4.0L is just a better motor than Jeep's new 3.8L, and I have been getting better gas milage than I did in my 2009 Wrangler. In my opinion, the new Jeeps just don't perform at the same level as the older ones do. And did I mention the Cherokee's great performance in the snow.

Can't say anything bad

by Seattle Jeep Guy from Seattle, WA on August 2, 2009

I can't say anything bad about my ownership of my 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4. It has been extremely reliable. I just had my 90K tune up and other than changing my belts, brakes, and spark plugs I haven't had any surprises (knock on wood). It's not the sexiest car on the road but it certainly looks better than a lot of what I see that is out there today. The ride gives the driver good feedback but can't be pushed too hard on curves. It is the most solid SUV I've ever ridden in the snow. This last winter here in the Northwest it was one of the only SUV's that safely navigated our steep hills. It's a timeless classic that is reasonable to maintain and I will continue to own especially for inclement weather.

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

by 2nd Cherokee Owner from Minneapolis, MN on July 7, 2007

I've owned my '01 Sport for two years. This is actually the second Cherokee I've owned - the other was a 1987 Laredo. My '01 is the 4 door 4x4 model with a 4-speed AT. It's been an excellent all-around SUV; large enough for transporting three adults, two dogs, and associated cargo. Interior is spare but comfortable and DURABLE. Fantastic on snow and ice in the winter! The ride is a little rough, but of all the compact SUVs I've driven it handles and corners the best. Very STABLE. We tow a small camper (2000 lbs) and it handles that just fine. Decent gas mileage for a 4x4 - 20MPG highway, about 17 combined in real-world driving. Only major problem was replacement of the fuel pump at ~45K miles - cost about $400 US. Otherwise very reliable and solid. Would certainly recommend to others! When considering 4x4 options in this model, look for SelecTrac, as this has a full-time 4WD option (slippery & dry surfaces). It's hard to find it on a Sport, but many Classic's have it. In my opinion it's worth the extra $$.

Best car ever

by Cherokee Chica from Danbury, CT on April 7, 2008

On the rare occasion something goes wrong, this car is easy and inexpensive to fix. It has room for everything you'll ever need to haul around (dog, baby, boxes etc...). Mine is a particularly lovely shade of blue (always important, right?). But most importantly for someone who lives in the Northeast, pop this mambajamba into 4WD, and it's outperforming just about every other vehicle on the road. Now I'm a discerning driver (I drove around Baghdad 5 days a week, every week for 11 months in 03-04; I appreciate a decent, practical car) and I loved mine so much, I bought a '98 for my hubby in HIS favorite color. I got them both for a song, by today's standards, and I rue the day when I'll have to part with either (of the cars, that is). I can't believe that JEEP stopped making these fine, fine automobiles. I want one that will take biodiesel!!

Its a Jeep, enough said

by Zephid15 from Chicagoland on December 29, 2007

i have owned many jeeps but i just love the XJ. it looks great, is tough as can be, is fun to drive, easy to mod, and just a great vehicle to own. i love it and i know that anyone looking to buy a safe reliable SUV will love the Cherokee.

Best SUV ever made

by Cuzz from on January 15, 2014

The xjs (Cherokees) are by far the best trucks every built. They were made to be indestructible and I would recommend getting one to anybody. The engine has such a good reputation for a reason, dont be fooled by the 190 horse power- the IL6 these came with is an absolute beast and has ALOT of raw torque. Not only that but they are so simple to work on. I am 18 and i did nearly everything on my cherokee myself. The only bad thing about these cars is the electrical for the doors and windows. However these are safe too, I totaled mine by hydroplaning into a fence, and it still ran perfectly despite all the damage. These run like champs and if youre looking for bang for your buck take it from me and buy a real cherokee- not one of the new ugly things jeeps making now.

1 2 3 4 5

Our Take on the 2001 Jeep Cherokee

Jeep's flagship, the Grand Cherokee Limited, drives like a tall-riding luxury sedan, is loaded with creature comforts and has one whale of a V8 engine.

In a time when buyers seem to snap up all the luxury SUVs automakers can build, the Limited has glove-soft leather seats, wood trim and an automatic dual-zone climate control on top of an off-road pedigree that gives it serious off-road capability.

Realistically, not many owners soil their Grand Cherokee in off-road excursions, and I don't blame them. It's too nice, and too expensive, to knock around even though it is capable of performing quite well in the rough. Back in 1999, when this model was first introduced to journalists, I... Read More