1998 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews

4.3
Average based on 11 reviews

Best Used Car deal I've ever seen

by from Morgantown, WV on June 15, 2010

Instead of getting something newer that I could barely afford, I wanted a clunker that would still just get me around town and I could fix up as I go, to learn how to do it. I've got the 4 cylinder model, and while it may be a little slow to get up to speed now, it can hold its own both on and off the road just fine. 130,000 miles and going strong! Past the suggested time for an engine overhaul (sensors, hoses, etc) , but no major problems to report on any of the stock equipment. There's a good bit of wear on the cables and hoses, but I've never seen any other car hold up half as long as this Wrangler has. Suspension is a bit rough. On road and off road feel about the same though, which is a plus. Fuel mileage with the smaller engine and a lower gear ratio seems somewhat better than reported; I'm averaging about 13-15 mpg in the city. Not done enough interstate traveling to know how well it does there yet, but I can say that it is probably noisier with the top on. Also, people worry about heating the soft-tops. One thing I can say is that it's ALWAYS warmer initially with the soft top over my friends hard top, and all Jeeps heat up quick as well. they didn't skimp on the heater/AC either! Storage space is limited, as there are only two doors and very little trunk space. You can easily remove the back bench seat (which only seats 2 anyways) and you'll have plenty of room if you need to haul larger items though!

98 TJ Wrangler

by from Kernersville,NC on July 24, 2012

This is the first Wrangler I have owned and I Love it!Watch for rust they are prone to it!I looked for over 6 months before finding one that suited my wants, and I drove two hours one way to look at it, then went back a second time to get her!I have owned it for a month and have redone the interior and wheels and tires and many other things!Now my Daughter wants a Jeep for her first vehicle! :) If buying an older model expect to do some work to make it yours and personalize it!There are many for sale and you are sure to find one that is just right!

Love At First Drive

by from Kokomo Indiana on May 20, 2011

I bought my 98 TJ used in 2005. Besides the milage it is an awesome vehicle. Take the top off in the summer and go anywhere anytime. It's a Jeep thing...buy one and you too will understand!!

Awesome Car!

by from Norway on May 9, 2014

I love my 98 Wrangler Sport, it's the by far best car i've ever driven and owned. I use it primarily as a commuter car, but it's a killer off-road, it's practical in the city and its a fun weekend car aswell. Here in Europe, where Wrangler aren't that common, it also get a lot of attention. The only minus is the gas milage. I will never own anything else than Jeeps!!

horrible in person

by from on June 12, 2014

Do not waste your time. The sales representative doesnt know anything their "mechanic" that determines your trade in value is 17 years old.. Theyre financing is horrible and I have a 680 credit which is fair. This jeep is the worst ive seen ever and now i can see why its been on the lot since september.

1992 Toyota Paseo

by from Reading, PA on September 19, 2013

This 1998 Jeep was well over priced and not paying more then it's worth. If they would come down with the price a bit I would get it.

fUN TO DRIVE AND RELIABLE

by from Palm Springs on November 7, 2006

This has be fun to drive and the best 4WD I have owned. I do not worry about taking this on a long trip or into a remote area. I kow I'll get back.

The best car I've ever had

by from Nampa, ID on July 15, 2008

I absolutely love my Jeep! If it weren't for the mpg, I would love it even more. I think that's its only flaw. They are awesome cars.

I bought mine new and have ridden it hard

by from Norwalk, CT on April 28, 2008

for over 10 years now. Aside from the expected maintenance (brakes, shocks, tires oil changes, muffler, etc) this thing has been extremely reliable. It honestly runs and looks as good as new

Had one..not for me

by from on April 6, 2009

I owned a 1998 Jeep Wrangler and it was beat up from the start. It never had any engine problems but the radiator was leaking so i sold it i couldn't deal with the electrical problems it had. I'm sure mine was defective and the owner before me was harsh on it. So I sold it and got myself a different American car.