2004 Discovery

2004 Land Rover Discovery

4.0

4 out of 5 stars Interior Design
4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 2004 Land Rover Discovery?

Most reliable car I've owned.

by Disco Lover from Grand Junction, Co on Tue Apr 26 2016

I have taken this car through the ringer. I have been on many muddy, snowy, steep, rocky, trails, and I have never had one issue. The interior is incredibly comfy. I have gone on many long road trips and I have not once complained. I also love how the leather seats compliment the somewhat outdated buttons and radio. It has a modern yet rugged feel to it. I also drive around with my 2 year old nephew in the car, and I feel safe doing so. I am able to sit tall enough, and the huge windows make it easy to see every inch of the road. My Disco is over 130k with miles, and I have had no issues with the engine or transmission. However, the mph is low, but is expected to be for an offroad SUV. All in all I love this vehicle and I plan on keeping the disco, and if not I plan on buying another Land Rover vehicle. Extremely reliable fun cars.

Great SUV

by Tigress from Atanta, Geogia on Tue Jan 13 2009

I loved this car, it will take you anywhere from the beach to mountains. Works well on all terrains, I know because I took it to the Rover School in NC and was really surprise at what could be done in this car. As for room, I was able to move just about anything, not to mention people when I had company. The only drawback was my tall friends with longlegs wanted to move the driver seat back, but it worked for me. The Rover dealership people were great with every need on my car. I would definitely recommend this car to my friends, it was the most reliable car that I owned.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Good 4x4

by Holly1 from Burns on Sun Sep 03 2017

Good car can be pricey to repair but the cool factor is worth it. Smooth ride nice handling and better ecxelleration compared to the Discovery I. Great option for a family car for those who cringe at a minivan

Still on the edge of my seat

by First Land Rover from Green Valley, AZ on Wed Dec 19 2012

I have so far enjoyed the Disco2. I own other foreign cars. MG, Porsche, BMW, Volvo. I am not a "new-be" to the quirks of such. This is my first used car and first Land Rover. It is in great body condition with expected wear. It's gas mileage is around the 15mpg range. Not surprising from what I expected. It is comfortable around town and on the highway. I have had some concern with reliability even though it was under the Ford umbrella. I have had persistent lights on the dash: all three at the same time, traction control, decent and ABS. They resent, go off for a few days and return. Relay? I know they are connected. Then I had one occasion where it would not start. The starer motor was quiet while the battery was perfectly charged and all the electrical worked. After I called the tow truck the car started without hesitation. Yes, it was in park initially, when the attempts were made. Why it did not start and then it did within about 15 minutes? No idea. So yes I am on the edge of my seat until I catch on to the Land Rover quirks. Needs running boards so my wife feels comfortable when entering with a dress.

One of a Kind

by GregWim from York, PA on Sat Mar 18 2017

I love my Disco. Honestly, I wanted one of these weirdly shaped, unique trucks since I was a kid. So, when I was ready to buy one in 2009 - I was elated. I'm still driving it 8 years later. Sure, almost 14 years off the production line shows its age. The headliner is sagging. I've replaced a head gasket. It got me through a front end crash. But I wouldn't change anything about it because it looks different than 96% of the other vehicles on the road. It handled the snow well. I threw brush in the back. It hauled mulch. It did almost everything I asked it to do.

Very capable on and off road

by Indigoss from Butler, MO on Sat Aug 19 2017

A very unique car, not the most reliable, but I enjoy the off-road capability. Repairs at the dealership can be expensive, but the vehicle is not hard to work on if you do it yourself. MPG is not good because of the AWD.

I loved and hated it.

by Robsyb from CA on Tue Jul 10 2018

Loved : the utilitarian design, the features, the space, the transmission and GO ANYWHERE four wheel drive. It was cool looking and different from other suv?s. Hated: made by drunken Englishmen the engine was crap. I fixed it so many times u Der warranty they paid for the car again. Then after warranty the block cracked. (100k miles) Bought a used engine with 60. Lasted another 40k died again. Gave up at that point. Do not buy unless 1. You are prepared to change engine (not bad prices, 2. You are NOT in a smog state as they won?t let you switch to another more reliable varient.

Does not recommend this car!!

Landrover Discovery Owner

by Landrover Discovery Owner from Covina, cA on Sun May 16 2010

This car is comfortable to drive, but extremely expensive to fix. It breaks down every 10-15K miles. The transmission broke at 51K miles. Then it broke again at 70K miles. ABS Modulator breaks often on this vehicle and costs 3K to replace. Brakes go out every 18-20K miles and costs a thousand to fix. The costs of repairs will exceed the cost of purchasing the vehicle.

Does not recommend this car!!

Best SUV for daily driving and OFF-ROAD use

by Discoverer from Roanoke, VA on Tue Apr 14 2009

Love the styling of the Discovery II. It stands out among all SUVs. It is very roomy, comfortable and safe. Easy to park and use around town. Very nice on long trips. Incredible capabilities off-road. Drivetrain is very reliable and simple to maintain. No timing belts to change or fancy computer controls. Parts and service very reasonable as long as you do not go to the dealer. Highly recommended.

Purposeful and civilized

by ariz off roader from Scottsdale, AZ on Thu Aug 19 2010

I bought mine certified used w/ 12k mi on it. I soon learned how incredible it was off road. I was doing things that defy common sense. It was unnerving at first but after a while my confidence increased and I had everyone else screaming. Its like a Mercedes inside and a Jeep outside. I even drove Jeeps to compare, but all came up so far short in comfort and daily practical usability. This truck is amazing and great on long trips. On the downside, it's value was depreciating $1000/mo and it was in for some kind of unscheduled repair about every 2 months. I had an extended warranty, so that was only an inconvenience, and the customer service was impeccable. The gas mileage is poor, 16 downhill and 12 most everywhere else on premium. But even with the low profile tires/wheels it bests everything else with poise and quiet luxury. It's better off road than on and the worse the conditions, the better it feels. No matter how I abused it, and I tried, it never even got a scratch. It seemed like it was made of Kryptonite. It is so solid that I felt that if the wheels came off at 90 mph I would feel safe. This truck is rugged to the bone, if you really go off road it's cool. Even washboard roads seem like a paved road. The smaller size is perfect for negotiating difficult trails and the break angle is scary good. The wheels will find any available ground and use it no matter how steep, until you are falling against the window. I have a 97 land cruiser now, which is pretty reliable, but it seems crude by comparison in capability. The Rover is intelligent, capable and vault solid, but mine needed lots of attention to keep it up. If you dont go off road get a poser SUV and be happy. This is a seriously capable machine made to be used for some extreme fun and cannot be appreciated unless its put to task.

1 2 3