2002 Freelander

2002 Land Rover Freelander

2002 Land Rover Freelander

2.7

Have You Driven the 2002 Land Rover Freelander?

Nice little SUV if you've got some cash

by Tim from Tewksbury on Wed Apr 01 2009

I bought this SUV because I needed an AWD vehicle at a low price point. The freelander fits that description when compared to many other SUV's. I like the styling, performance and handling. I've had mine for about 2 years. During that time I've had cam shaft seals break(tow truck), needed a new thermostat and housing(tow truck), and had to have all the timing belts and other related parts replaced(tow truck). We're not talking a trivial amount of money here. You're biggest problem will also be finding a good foreign auto mechanic who can service you. Unless of course you want to pay dealer labor rates;). The parts are very expensive and regular oil changes anywhere can run around 70.00+. Synthetic oil and non-standard filters. All that being said I do enjoy it but do wish I had purchased something less expensive to maintain. Don't look for a bargain with this vehicle.

it's a car

by korea guy from Buffalo, ny on Mon Nov 09 2009

This Suv is a good car but breaks down to easy. I have had trouble with the ac.Also the engin light has come on way to many times for the smallest things. I would buy a another car if I could.

Rugged compact SUV

by Peterisms from Las Vegas, NV on Fri Nov 10 2017

The Freelander is not as luxurious nor as rugged as it's more expensive cousins, but it's surprisingly fun to drive and gets decent power and gas mileage for a six-cylinder compact SUV. True to its Land Rover badge, the AWD system can competently handle off-road trails, though the lower ground clearance can be somewhat limiting.

Least Reliable Car I have Owned

by Anush from Tennessee on Sun Jan 07 2007

I babied my Freelander for 55000 miles. Not a scratch. Never replaced rotors & replaced pads only once. Loved the handling & snow traction (800 miles from TN to DC & back in 8 inches). No problems until transmission started slipping at 45000. It was replaced under warranty. Engine made noise when I picked it up at Dealer. Noise continued in cold weather at startup. Dealer said "not to worry". In August noise started & engine disintegrated at 55000 miles. Land Rover said it was my fault & out of warranty.

lots of repairs

by kc freelander owner from denver colorado on Tue Jul 14 2009

The Freelander SE is a real nice looking SUV but the repairs are outrages. I wish i would of done a little homework on the car before I purchased it. I like the all wheel drive and it does great in the snow.

Piece of junk

by Strand Rover from Ohio on Tue Sep 02 2008

I was a big LR fan till the Freelander. The Freelander is a total lemon. Mine needs $12K+ to be road worthy again. All the horror stories are true. For those stating they haven't had problems, give it time. Window motors deficient, sunroof problems, coolant resivoir and thermostat leaks, transmission didn't last 75K miles. Those are all specific problems I have had with my Freelander. Futher, LR doesn't make any parts for repair. Didn't know about that one, huh? That means even the most minor defect or maintainence results in a huge repair bill. The sunroof doesn't seat and seal itself- LR dealer wants $1400 to replace. This, despite the fact that the sunroof is about 98% operational. I cannot warn you in strong enough terms to avoid this vehicle, regardless of date of manufacture. Don't be sucked into the LR brand like I was.

Does not recommend this car!!

Add me to the list, it's as bad as you've heard

by No More Land Rovers for Me from TN on Sat May 30 2009

I bought this car during its first year being produced in America. I thought it was an attractive truck for the money, & was impressed when the salesman drove us up onto their on-site obstacle course. Being fairly petite, it fit my size well. I never felt overwhelmed by its size and it handled very well. My tall husband, though, could never adequately see out of the windshield. During the 2nd year I owned it, the windshield wipers started blowing out the fuses when used at anything but the lowest setting. Soon the power locks went out and the power windows failed. I drove around in my car with these annoying problems for years because I didn't want to pay hundreds or thousands to fix things I could work around. This year, the car began utterly falling apart. First the air intake had to be replaced for $1000. My car began overheating and leaking coolant, and even after LR service replace the thermostat, it continued to overheat and leak coolant and the engine started making a strange noise and completely died. My non-LR mechanic told me the intake manifold ($1600 part) was also dead so he couldn't even start the car to diagnose the engine problem, though he could clearly see fluid leaking from the main gasket. So my 6.5 y/o 70k mi car is an attractive-looking shell that's dead beyond any reasonably-priced fix besides a total engine replacement. I've fled far from British engineering and have purchased an 08 Toyota Sequoia (JD Powers class winner for dependability), while I figure out how to dump my Freelander parts. I'm sick reading the other reviews here detailing the same problems with main gaskets and engine failure. PLEASE be warned. Everything they say about Land Rovers IS true! Don't be fooled by their cool styling or rugged image. If you buy a Land Rover, you do so at your own risk.

Does not recommend this car!!

Same issues as the rest!

by landroverhater from dallas,texas on Sun Sep 28 2008

I bought this car used with 15k miles on it. At 20k the transmission blew. at 25k I had to replace all the brakes. Now I am at 35k and I feel this transmission is about to go too and now I am out of warrenty.

Freelanders Have Significant Engine Problems

by Carguy1 from Flanders, NJ on Sun Mar 03 2019

While nicely designed, these vehicles have had significant engine problems. www.lemonlawclaims.com/land-rover-freelander-engine-transmission-defect-claims. Head gasket issues have led to engine failure and significant costs. Try another year and model.

Danish

by SUV lover from Greenville, South Carolina on Wed Jul 12 2006

I purchased this vehicle for my daughter and we have had too many problems with the car. I believe it is a lemon.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2002 Land Rover Freelander

It’s taken five years, but Land Rover has finally brought the “baby Land Rover” stateside.

Dubbed the Freelander, this little sport utility vehicle is meant to compete against the Honda CRV and Ford Escape, albeit at a higher price.

Available in S ($24,975), SE ($27,775) and HSE ($31,575) trim levels, the Freelander is novel not just for its size, but for its construction.

Until the Freelander, all Land Rovers had bodies that were attached to a rugged frame. This allows the vehicle to haul heavy loads or traverse tough terrain. But the Freelander uses unibody construction, like a car. The body and frame are a single unit. So, the Freelander isn’t meant to face... Read More