1997 ES 300

4.5 out of 5 starsInterior Design
4.8 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.7 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

A perfect reliable used car.

by Scott in Houston from Houston, Texas. on October 8, 2009

I was searching for a used car at a decent price when I moved back to Houston. Checking reviews, and Lexus stuck out, especially for the 1997 Es300. I took it for a spin, focusing on the engine, power, and response. It isn't short on power, even for a 1997 with 84,000 miles (which is low for a car this age). The car runs quiet , very low road noise, comfortable, easy to see over the hood, and runs so smooth I forgot I was driving a 12 year old car. It has the basics of a luxury car. So comfort is there. For a 1997 you can't expect a whole lot like today's top end luxury cars, and certainly not the new 2009 Lexus. However it is up there with your needs. Automatic climate control is nice and keeps a reliable dependable comfort in the vehicle. Memory settings for your seat settings is handy. As well as the sensors and features for the brakes and other aspects. The car isn't perfect. The leather is soft, which is nice, but on a used car expect some minor blemishes on the leather trim throughout the vehicle. With the right kit, you can blend it out easily even if there are some. The headlight system could be better. Expect yellowing on a used car unless it was already cleaned for you. It is easy to use a plastic cleaner to buff out and smooth the plastic light cover. Condensation seems to build in it and road debris (dust) can build up on this year. I haven't yet, but will open it up, polish the reflective unit up and the inside of the lens, which responds well to fine plastic polish. Such polish will restore any wood grain accents back to a new shine. A common issue to be aware of is the stock radio LCD. The big issue with this year and car. You may have black spots on the LCD. It is no big issue. Now for those that will be replacing it with a GPS/Media center insert, you won't have to worry. The good thing is the size of the radio and slot will fit many medium/larger screen GPS/Media Center/Phone sync devices nicely bringing the car up to today's standards for a low cost. This is a very reliable car and probably one of the best used cars you can get that will last you a very long time. IF you see one at a good price, grab it fast.

Best Car I have ever owned

by Bob from Guam USA on August 13, 2008

I bought this car in 1997 with 1200 miles, fully loaded with all options and it had been on the stree for 1200 miles. I live on a tropical island on the equator with extrem weather conditions. This was my wifes car, I bought her a new one in 2001, we have 200.000 miles on it, the dealer still gives me a new car to drive when I go in for service, they treat me like a King! We spent no money on this car to speak of other than tires, breaks and the $1200.00 bonanza service every 60,000 miles for the timing belt and water pump and preventive maintenant that keeps it trouble free. My wife has the oil changed evey 3000 miles so she can drive a new model, which helps. at 120k we had to put shocks, I went aftermarket on these as I thought I was nearing the end, spent $600.00 when the dealer wanted $2400.00. We live in the surburbs, I get 22 MPG and my wife gets 26. I am buying a new 350 for my wife in October, I will drive the 2001 but, I cannot let go of the 97 Emeral Green 300. I love this car. Bob (Guam USA)

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by Always looking for Value from San Jose, CA on January 6, 2009

I purchased a Lexus ES300 when it had 95,000 miles on it and never had to repair a thing until it hit 142,000 miles. Other than regular maintenance, the only thing I had to replace was the ignition coil and starter. Any Lexus is a great buy and will last you a very very long time. I still own my ES300 and have also purchased the GX470 and love that as well.

Define Reliability?

by Louie from New Jersey, NJ on December 4, 2008

Bought this car used at 45,000 miles, now with 143,000 miles ITS Still perfect! Great CAR! Better then the newer ones, no transmission problems! Silky Smooth Ride! Pearl White with the optional suspension button (Comfort or Sport) Works great!

Lexus ES300

by Joe the Pro from Lemont, IL on June 12, 2006

I bought this car new in 1997 and has been a dream ever since. Performance and reliability are top notch but maybe the best part of the car is how quiet the interior is when driving in the city or on the highway. This car is a great value for the money.

best car i have owned

by wilbill from northwest tn on March 9, 2011

one of the best vehicles i have ever owned very dependable economical to drive almost perfect as long as its being maintained properly

Bought used in 2000 and still driving like a champ

by a cheap driver with expensive taste from Binghamton, NY on May 28, 2006

I bought a 97 Lexus ES300 back in 2000 because all my friends didn't want me to buy a new Accord. People are still amazed after 6 years of driving this car still doing great. I heard about the oil sludge problem with this type of car but so far I have no problem and I only change oil twice per year. (99,000 miles now) Repairs/Broken/Con: 65k tune up, full brakes repairs, throttle sensor, radio displays is broken but still works and that is it for 9+ years. Pro orginal exhaust system, excellent leather, great engine performance (not a racing car but can be on most of the time), great rides. Is fun driving on long trips, it is like sitting on a leather sofa. Just go into a lexus dealership and test one out. I was amazed how different they feel compare to Camry.

Most reliable vehicle that I own

by Olesoftee49 from Evansville, Indiana on April 29, 2018

Personally, I've owned this vehicle since 2005-Had 113,000 when bought-now I have only 141000 on it-2018-I just drive it whenever it's not raining. Right after I bought I had the dog house repainted(front end of vehicle) I've replaced the transmission(due to prior owner/owners abuse),front struts,battery,complete tuneup, had bent wire that opens the trunk lid fixed & upper engine exhaust section replaced. I only paid $5000 for my car in 2005 but, I knew what I bought was what I thought it was worth which in I added another $4000 into it and now I have a car which I can now trust on long trips-400 or miles or so to serve me in future years to come. Heck! I'm only 68 years young! It's really close to show car status but, enough for my needs. A little bit of advice when buying a Lexus-please have your mechanic check it out so, you'll have an idea of what to expect with repairs & etc...

good solid car

by Rocky from Tulsa OK on August 23, 2017

This care was driven by my daughters as she was going to university school. Had some repairs but worked out great for her.

Well Played.

by Mikeeugenew from Cincinnati on December 29, 2017

Driver side mirror sucks. I got a Lexus ES 300. Over all, good deal. I may go back for my next one. Well done guys!

1 2