2014 GX 460

4.5 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.8 out of 5 starsReliability

Perfect SUV for me

by David with a Lsxus and a Jaguar from Hurst, Texas on June 3, 2015

I traded up from a 2011 RX 350 to the GX 460, that had 12,000 miles on it.. I have to admit I love the 460. It drives very nicely, the fit and finish are exceptional. The mpg isn't all that good, but with full time 4X4 and the weight, what do you expect?. The GX is so much better than the RX, overall. Having owned a number of Toyotas, I expect the reliability will be as exceptional as it's lesser priced cousins. The RX was very reliable. The performance is good, but not exceptional...but then maybe that's because my other vehicle is Jaguar XK convertible. I have the luxury model with Mark Levinson upgrade audio system. I find it wonderful...and have not experienced any of the problems mentioned in another review. If you have the need for a luxury SUV with very good off road capabilities, I highly recommend the GX 460

Rock solid, great value

by Rich G. from Raleigh, NC on May 19, 2014

After owning a 4Runner for a decade, we were at a point in life we could afford to "upgrade" our ride. We have things to tow, beaches to drive on, kids (and friends) to haul around. Let's be honest, a Lexus is a glorified Toyota (really glorified). After 2 months comparing the Pilot, Highlander, Q7, and Explorer, we settled on the GX. The recent price reduction of the new MSRP of the middle of the road model put it about 2-3k more than a 1 year old, about 4%. Not a bad premium for picking out everything. Ride is perfect. Luxury is great. It does EVERYTHING we want. It is a bit pricey, 10-15k more than the Highlander and Explorer, but once your drive it, you see why. The ONLY con I know of is the lack of 2nd row power. There is a 110v in the rear for tailgating, but nothing for the 2nd row. We ran a 6' power cord for sharing on a recent trip, but that looks cheesy. Everything else is as you would expect. I could write all the pro's, but the idea is read the cons and see if you can live with them. Again, if you can stomach the 20mpg and 50-60k price, it does everything. As someone else wrote, it is a Toyota, you put gas in and change the oil, it will run forever.

Forced to buy it but, don't regret it.

by Mike from Jamestown, Ky on May 26, 2015

I have to admit that I do like this SUV. I am not one for flashy objects so, I think that it is a little over the top for me though. I really wanted a Toyota 4runner but I needed a V8 in order to tow our boat. Unfortunately, the 4runner offers a V6 only and since I wanted a mid-sized Toyota SUV, this is what I had to buy. In that regard, I am disappointed with Toyota for forcing me to buy a Lexus. As far as the SUV, it is very nice. I got the base model because, for me, that came with well more than I need or will ever use. It rides nice and pulls a 6000 pound boat pretty well. Gas mileage isn't all that but, it is a SUV after all. I hate that it requires premium fuel because it isn't a sports car, it is a dressed up 4runner. I will say that the front seats are the most comfortable drivers seats that I have ever sat in. I am very impressed there. It isn't uncommon for people to look at it as I drive by. I'm not sure if it is because they are impressed or if they think it is ostentatious. Either way, my kids like waving at them from the back seat as we drive by.

Uses car for Towing

Fantastic daily driver

by Funindubai from Houston on May 27, 2014

We recently moved to the US from Dubai. My wife drove a Porsche Cayenne GTS in Dubai beautiful car but not comfortable for everyday usage. Before the Porsche she owned a Toyota Prado top of the range. Car had every accessory and she loved it. As we moved into the US she was in no doubt that she wanted a Lexus. She absolutely loves the car all the luxury incl ac seats, DVD, easy to use navigation and beautiful ride. The service centre at Lexus is superior to Porsche. We love Lexus

2014 GX 460

by Pale Rider from Texas on January 15, 2014

Replaced my 2004 GX470 with 110k miles. Same quality ride and fit and finish. Less wood and a more in your face dash, but modern and stylish. Simply the best SUV out there. This is a premium with all the extras. No Luther SUV came close. The Lexus is more than a vehicle, it is an experience. They treats you the way your want to treat others.

Engineer

by Dan Z. from Qatar on December 23, 2013

I love the car, drives smoothly, has the power. i traded my 2007 QX56 with Lexus GX 460, it is pure luxury. my kids love it as well... highly recommended.

Uses car for Off-roading

Everything You Need in a Luxury SUV Except Tech

by slugbeast from Frisco, TX on May 17, 2017

This is a great SUV if you're looking for a comfortable ride with that soft suspension, having you floating down the roadway. It has room (realistically) for 5 adults and 2 small children in the fold up back seat - don't expect to have any cargo space if you have 7 in the vehicle. It is a comfortable and attractive interior. The seats are comfortable, I've made several 12 hour drives and only had to stop to fuel up and use the facilities. In our Suburban, I had to stop every 2 hours to fix my aching body. This is why we ended our Suburban run, they aren't comfortable. It has a big engine, but carries a lot of weight. Don't expect to beat anyone off the line or be able to shoot past someone on the highway (passing). It takes time to get up to speed. Performance is average, but that's not why you buy a big Lexus SUV. You buy it for the comfort. If they shaved off 800 lbs and added 60 more horsepower, you would have better performance. When it is cleaned and detailed, the black exterior is gorgeous. The shape of the car doesn't invoke any lust (like other vehicles may), but it is pleasant to look at. If they could make it look more streamlined, but keep the size, that would be something to behold. Interior is well appointed. The most disappointing thing, and it isn't a category above but should be, is technology. The technology in the Lexus is frustrating and must have been designed by someone who never drove a vehicle. It is the ridiculous touch screen. Who wants to reach forward to a non-responsive screen? Inputting addresses into the NAV is frustrating, as the technology is not as fast as fingers. There is a pronounced delay. Imagine this typing this, WOODLAWN STREET, but it taking about 5 seconds for it to recognize each key press - so I just use my phone. The voice recognition is horrid. "Find mini-golf" is "Beauty and Nail shops". 95% of the time it responds to me "Pardon?". "Call Deb", "Pardon?" I say "Call Deb" in my BMW and it asks me if I want the home or cell number. It has good safety features, like the vehicle detection on the mirrors is great. Visibility is good and it is high off the ground. We feel safe in the car. It has been a reliable car, but maintenance is high dollar if you take it to Lexus. In 3 years and 45k miles, we have spent roughly 2,000 on regular maintenance including oil changes, alignments, fuel injection cleaning, etc. My BMW we have spent ZERO. It had the engine repaired under warranty, so I don't know what that cost was as it was taken car of by Toyota errr Lexus. If you are a technology geek, you will be frustrated by this car and its silly entertainment, navigation, and voice recognition system. If you don't care about that (and want to just get blue-tooth calls), then this is for you. The only other big complaint is the car clock is at knee level in the center console. To see the time, you have to take your eyes off the road completely. What is so hard about having a programmable instrument cluster so the driver can display what they want to see? Time, temperature, next turns, MPG, etc. We like this vehicle, but we will not be buying another one because of the backwards technology. Lexus, if you're listening, test drive a Jag (we customized the cluster on the fly) or Audi and see what your technology should be.

Great Car

by CMac from Florida on June 24, 2014

Bought this to replace a Highlander Hybred for my wife. It has a great ride, solid, great accesories. Only grip is mpg, but we knew that going in. Some features on our 2013 ES300H are not on this model, like intelligent turn signals. This will be a great long term vehicle.

GX460

by Tans from on March 13, 2017

Big but very comfortable truck.Fun to drive and safe . We got the white exterior and white interior, so clean and neat to see.

Excellent safety luxury auto for the value.

by TinaT from on April 10, 2017

I am very pleased with the overall comfort, reliability, safety, performance, interior design, exterior styling, value for the money of the vehicle. I was also very pleased with the exceptional service by Logan at Lexus of Knoxville and the sales crew.

1 2 3