1997 LX 450

1997 Lexus LX 450

1997 Lexus LX 450

Have You Driven the 1997 Lexus LX 450?

Lasts forever

by MechEng Colorado from Colorado on Sat Dec 13 2008

I bought my '97 in '07, w/256K miles on it. Just finished a year and 12K miles. Reliable -- needed headlight connectors replaced, cost $7. I changed all fluids, filters, that's all. My '88 Land Cruiser went 260K, then got totaled :-(. The '97 is quieter, smoother, more comfortable. Bulletproof, it seems. AWD sticks better than the '88's 4WD. A bargain considering what a new, similar-sized car costs -- I would have bought a new Honda CR-V $25K or Pilot $37K, but the Lexus for $10K is much more satisfying, and will last another decade easily. I love it.

built like a tank

by Tony from Encinitas CA on Fri Feb 15 2008

If you are looking for an SUV that all you need is Gas, Tires, Brake pads and no electronics this is it. I owned many many cars from Mercedes, Audi, BMW and other but the LEXUS is in a league on is own...THE MOST REALIABLE CAR EVER....That why many many off road/safari/war zone lovers always look for this incredible Model and year...because they are BULLET PROOF 300k 400k no problem and the Lexus is just an extra nice compared to the Toyota Land Cruiser. They exactly the same car only the Lexus comes with allots of extras.

Great Safe Family Wagon

by Safari enthusiast from NJ on Mon Feb 16 2009

I can haul anything thanks to the foldable 2nd & 3rd row seats... LX450 beast can accommodate at least 2 babies with their carseats/trollers, including their respective moms and dads, 1 toddler, and their belongings! In congested roads, the LX450 gets right of the way without feeling being squeezed between lanes. I just traded-in my sedan bimmer in order to get the LX450. It is gas-thristy beast but with regular unleaded fuel you do not feel the pinch as the Land Rover Discovery owners who have to deal w/Premium unleaded fuel costs!

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Good solid built SUV

by yajcaivplawv from Colorado on Wed Jan 14 2009

I've owned mine for nine years now. It is a solid built vehicle, though pricey. I bought mine because I wanted the in-line engine with a timing chain that will last practically forever and low rpm with good torque. I recommend buying this vehicle with locking differentials because if you plan on off-roading there is a good chance of being stuck. This is where the lockers com into play; it is nice to use in deep snow! The only draw back is that it is a gas guzzler, it's a heavy vehicle. I also wish that it had more cup holders too. I owned another 4x4 too and this has a much better 4x4 system.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

The Beast

by wheelin from springfield on Thu Sep 24 2015

Got this lx450 four years ago and wished I got one long ago. It is a wheeling beast that will not get stuck anywhere I go. I'm looking for two more of them, one to just wheel in and one for everyday use. the 4.5 is just right, but I'm going to swap with a diesel engine.

Uses car for Off-roading

Best 4WD every made in my book

by TAZ from Alabama on Mon Mar 12 2012

I owned a Lexus LX450 in 1997 thru 2001 until my wife totalled it out and in 2012 I had to get another one because no one makes a better, tougher, good riding, reliable 4WD. I wouldn't have any other 4WD SUV.

Uses car for Towing

Timeless and desirable

by Love of Cars from Hendersonville, NC on Thu Sep 05 2013

I am amazed at my 97 LX450. I have had 4 people in the last month ask me to consider letting them know when I am ready to sell. I am very confident in saying if you buy a 1996-97 LX, you are buying a future collectable SUV. The only things on his car that may seem to be an issue is the check engine light has a temper. I am still working on that issue and think I will have it conquered in the next week or so. The front seats do not go back as far as I would prefer. I am 6'0 tall, yet I can take a 7 hour drive in this car and still be ok, but not without leg stiffness. To be fair I am 52 years old but in good shape. I am more than willing to throw plenty of money at this car as I have that much love and confidence in it. My best advice is to dive in and grab it no while they are affordable, five years from now will be too late!!!!

Reliable, but Handles Like a Truck

by Random Driver from OK on Wed Mar 26 2008

The solid front axle leads to a less comfortable ride than a modern independent front suspension. The 212hp straight-six could use a little more power to move this heavy vehicle. The brakes are merely adequate. It's performs well off road.

Does not recommend this car!!