2000 RX 300

2000 Lexus RX 300

4.2

4 out of 5 stars Value for the Money
4 out of 5 stars Reliability

Have You Driven the 2000 Lexus RX 300?

Amazed and Overjoyed.

by Father John from Central Mississippe on Mon Aug 24 2009

I bought my car three years ago with 186K miles on it. Now it has 258K and is still ticking great. Friends who drive it cannot believe it is 10 years old with 250K plus miles on it. I've been to Kenya twice. The car of choice for those who can afford it is this same car, though it is called a Toyota Harrier over there. If it can survive on Kenyan roads, nothing we have will be a problem! I would not hesitate to start out today on a long trip, no matter the weather conditions. It is, without reservation, the best over-all car I have ever owned... and I have owned LOTS over that 50 years.

Luv this car

by Duke from Fresno, CA on Fri Jun 12 2009

Bought ours new and have 147K on it and it still drives great. No problems with the transmission or engine. We bought a '06 RX 330, so our daughter is driving our '00. We were thinking about buying her a new car, but she does not want to give up the Rx 300.

Like a hot knife through butter!

by smart shopper from Hardwick, VT on Mon Sep 10 2012

This SUV drives and rides smoother than the cadillac I used to own. Even though it's a 2000 you would never know the difference. It's so smooth on the road and very comfortable. I love the arm rests on the front seats. It's the little things like those that make this vehicle awesome. Also, the tires are a very common size, which is nice because since they are common they are not as expensive as they could be. Love this ride!!!

2000 RX 300 - 175,000 and still going!

by CarGuy from Chantilly, VA on Tue Mar 20 2012

I've owned my 2000 RX 300 since 2007 and I now have 175,000 miles on it. This model is plagued with transmission replacement within 90k - 120k miles. I replaced my transmission at 140k. Other than this - i plan to run it to 240k. Been a great car for me and my family. Plenty of horsepower and very comfortable ride.

I just purchased it 1/13/2018. It has 163,000+

by GE LO from Grenada on Mon Jan 15 2018

17 years old and still strong, and tight. Usually with a car this old, with this many miles, one would tend to hear noises, something like worn parts rattle when you hit a bump. So far none. Not even wind noise around the door.

276,000 miles

by RandyW from Ohio on Wed Mar 14 2018

We bought the RX300 in 2007 with a 100,000 miles on it. We have put 175,000 on it ourselves and I had to replace the Starter, Alternator, Air Conditioning Condenser and Compressor which were all original equipment and they all went bad between 250,000 and 265,000 and I replaced them all myself with original equipment Denso parts that are now made in America. I really cant complain of the longevity of Denso parts its why I replaced with Denso parts. I have heard of those with Transmission failure in this vehicle and hadn't had any issues but we changed the transmission fluid probably 3 times since we owned it. You have to tranny fluid because if you drive it after it starts smelling burnt you are asking for trouble. Yesterday the transmission finally went and I really cant complain with 276,000 on the original transmission it was due just from a wear standpoint. I am taking it to a shop that guarantees the transmission for 5 years after they fix it. I have replaced coil packs and changed the spark plugs myself not fun or easy but doable. I would say the spark plugs are about the only thing I don't like working on but they last 100,000 mikes with the iridium plugs. I haven't had a car payment for about 10 years plus I drove this vehicle for 8 or 9 years without any issues so I have saved a ton of money and can afford to invest a little into this to keep it going. When the transmission is fixed I may keep it another 4 years before looking at something newer the engine seems pretty strong.

Second Most Reliable Lexus I've Owned

by Applications DBA from Agoura Hills, CA on Wed Apr 30 2014

I purchased this 2000 Lexus RX300 with 168K miles on it and it runs like a dream. Power response is great and drives pretty solid. I noticed the performance and stability when I gunned it going onto the freeway on a test drive. Very nice....in my opinion, it drives like a luxury performance vehicle and not so much like an SUV. I took my uncle, who is a chief mechanic for another well known Japanese luxury car manufacturer (Can't say because I was instructed to "avoid references to other companies or websites"), along with me when I purchased this car. He drove it as well and scrutinized it inside & out and was impressed with the performance but not surprised with the reliability. His one & only concern was the life of the timing belt as there was no documentation that it was ever changed; therefore, I just had it changed for peace of mind. This is my second Lexus and I intend to keep this as long as my first one. (I have a 2000 Lexus LX470 [wife's car] with 189K and never had any issues with it).

The Best

by RobertS from Boston, MA on Mon Jul 07 2014

Purchased mine with 23 miles on it (not 23K) and I just passed 210 K. It runs flawlessly and always has. I will be very sad when this one is gone.

Luxury with Amazing power & reliability

by Malia from Costa Mesa on Mon Jul 16 2018

This car has been amazing to own. I purchased it when it was already 10 years old at 162K miles and it had a rough ride from the prior owners son. Despite rough use this car performed like new and in all these 8 more years it only needed routine time in the shop for struts, tires and lubrications. I had already decided to let the cosmetic repairs be since the parts are expensive to replace. I would say the only negatives about this car is the price of parts and a wide turning radius.

great overall family vehicle.

by erin from santa monica on Wed Nov 07 2007

the reason i give handling two stars is because this vehicle has the turning radius of an 18-wheeler... i've owned it since '04 and it sat in a garage for two years while i was overseas. it still is running very well, held up great in a fender bender last week. i wish there was a child seat anchor in the center of the rear seat as opposed to the less-safe driver and passenger sides. it's extremely comfortable to ride in for my whole family. lots of luxury for a good price. mine only has 70,000 miles so i look forward to many more years of driving it. i get about 16 - 18mpg, mostly city driving.

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2000 Lexus RX 300

Toyota spares no modesty when it describes the RX300 sport-utility vehicle sold by its luxury Lexus division.

"The RX300 sets the direction for future sport-utility vehicles to follow . . . combining the SUV traits most customers want--four-wheel-drive traction for poor weather, commanding visibility and utility--with the luxury, safety and quality of a passenger car."

Mighty big boast in an industry not known for little boasts. But Toyota has backed up its words. The RX300 is the benchmark for others to copy--and improve upon.

The RX300 is what's meant by a hybrid, a vehicle that combines the best traits of car and SUV with a little mini-van cargo capacity thrown... Read More