2003 MPV

2003 Mazda MPV

$805 - $8,277  MSRP Range
2003 Mazda MPV

4.5

Have you driven the 2003 Mazda MPV?

Great all-timer 7 passenger van and car

by Japanese MPVs Lover from Los Angeles on Sun Sep 13 2009

Hey for all those who don't know much about Mazda MPVs. 2000-2001 are with 170 hp only. 2002-2006 are with 200 hp and 200 lb-torque. Do not be misguided, the 200hp is very powerful for a 7 seater that weight only 3880 pounds. The Odyssesy and Sienna weight about 400 pounds more. You notice immediately the nimbleness of this Mazda. Braking is great and affirmative, cornering is a joy in this van. The 200hp engine ones will outrun in 0-60 compared to the 230hp equipped Siennas. Yet, the power was raised later for the Siennas. Taking seven people together has been no problem and it is a very reliable vehicle. I love the power doors feature, the big sunroof and the 17 inch alloy wheels. It look so sporty for a van. It is smaller too and I have parked it in tight spaces where the Siennas or Odyssesys before me have no choice but to leave the tight parking spaces. I love this Mazda, only drawback is the lack of a semi-manual-auto transmission, like the ones in a Mazda3 or Mazda5. Yet, the transmission is so smooth and power delivery is very linear. Max Torque comes so early at only 2,500 rpm. This is a keeper to me. Thanks Mazda. When shopping, keep in mind that this Mazda is cheaper than the bigger vans, park easier and mpg is about 21-22.5 for me. Sometimes 25-26mpg on mostly freeways only long driving. I really love it, and unlike the Odysses that use premium fuel, this Mazda MPV can use regular fuel.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Good Investment

by Chesterson from Milwaukee, WI on Sat Apr 19 2008

We purchased this vehicle new, off the lot. The van now has 180,000 miles on it (90% city driving). and we have only had to replace the water pump ($360). Although my wife really likes the van, she is the type who likes to get a new car every couple years. She fears the van will go 300,000 miles before it dies. I hope she is right.

Money's worth out of this van

by MPV-CALIF from San Diego, CA on Tue Aug 22 2006

This van was a great buy when bought new and has been perfect for our family of four. Most reliable car we have owned from a list that includes Accord, Passport, BMW 323, and Corolla. Only bad thing was that the original Dunlop tires wore out after less than 15,000 miles. It has enough power when needed, shifts smoothly, and averages about 22 mpg mixed city/hwy driving. Power sliding doors are the best feature because you can press the key remote to open the doors long before you walk up to it (a plus when shopping with kids).

Great small van

by Doc R from Maryland on Sat Jul 01 2006

Tough to get too excited about a van, but this has been everything advertised. Its size and handling make it more carlike than larger competitors. Reliability has been quite good. A few minor glitches have been taken care of by the dealer at no cost to me. It's not huge inside, but this is the trade-off for the smaller exterior dimensions. Not a good choice for a family of 6, but an excellent choice for a family of 4 (or 5, if the kids are young).

Never thought I would own a van

by non mom from Austin, TX on Sat Jun 04 2016

We got this used in 2013 with 114,000 miles. It was a great investment. It made a trip from Seattle to Austin Texas hauling a Uhaul trailer and doing 80 mph. Gas mileage suffered with the added weight but it made it here with no hesitation. It is a very powerful little van. With regular maintenance it will last a long time. Oil changes and one big tune up has been it.

Good choice for minivan

by mpvowner from Wilmette, IL on Mon May 15 2006

The MPV was a good choice for us because we specifically needed a car that seats 7, and we didn't want to buy a big-boat minivan like the Odyssey. This car handles a lot like a sedan. We've been generally satisfied with the car, which we bought new. It's needed only routine maintenance. The exterior is a little sportier as minivans go, but that's all relative. The interior is fine and comfortable, but nothing special. It seats 7 fine, although you'd have trouble seating 7 adults.

Good choice for minivan

by mpv owner from Wilmette, IL on Tue May 09 2006

We bought this car new from Muller in Highland Park. It's a good choice, especially if you're looking for a vehicle that seats 7 but is relatively small and easy to drive and park. (You'd have a hard time seating 7 adults, but fitting a bunch of kids is no problem). We have the LX version, which is fine. It was hard to think of springing the extra money for the higher trim to get a leather interior -- for a minivan! The car handles fine and we haven't had any maintenance issues.

Solid for impacts

by TT from Abbotsford on Fri Aug 09 2013

I bought a used MPV LX for $3800 and it has been excellent! My kids fell in love with it as did my wife and I. We just moved from Tokyo so had to set up house and it has been great for hauling furniture too. Some idiot in a hage Dodge RAM rammed my from behind two weeks after I had bought it - I was alone but the impact sent me into the car in front. Apart from flying glass I was fine as would have my family. And, ICBC valued the car at $6800 so they are repairing it. I know it is very strong in a high speed impact and holds its value and it fun to drive.

best choice

by rickruler from Kalamazoo on Sat Sep 24 2011

Just starting to rust, under doors other than that it is a low cost to own van, Super value. It rides good do not require a lot of maint. oil changes, small in the back ,But we are not big people, cant go wrong buying the MVP.

Bought it new in 2003 and still love it!

by John on long Island from Sea Cliff, New York on Fri Sep 01 2017

I bought my 2003 MPV new and I still have it 15 years later. I have always found it to be comfortable and reliable. We put well over 100,000 miles on it before it ever needed a repair. The engine and transmission are original and still work perfectly. It is versatile as a minivan should be with fold away and/or removable seats and plenty of cargo space. The engine is plenty powerful and smooth. The body has not yet started to rust and the paint, despite my neglect still shines great when I occasionally wash and wax it. It has started to need some repairs lately because some parts have simply worn out. But with 200,000 miles on it now how could I really complain. If I had to complain about anything it would be that the check engine light goes on for the most minor reasons. The van still runs perfectly but the light makes my wife nervous so we have been to the mechanic for dumb reasons like the gas cap is not screwed on tight enough! Another problem would be that on cold mornings the doors freeze shut. I once ripped the door handle right off trying to open it when frozen. We live on Long Island. I could only imagine how annoying this problem would be if we lived somewhere really cold! My only other complaint (and this is picky) is that the headlight bulbs are very difficult to replace. I have to remove the battery and some air vents to get to one of them. But over all this is a great van. It has never been towed home from anywhere! All accessories still work including the Air Conditioning which has never even been serviced. It has now been demoted to our secondary vehicle but we're keeping it. If I could snap my fingers and make it new again I would drive it for another 15 Years!

1 2

Our Take on the 2003 Mazda MPV

When it comes to describing the MPV, Mazda spares no hyperbole in boasting that it "has the body of a minivan, the soul of a sports car."

Sure, and after dropping the rugrats off at the field, soccer moms bond by spending the day autocrossing in their MPVs.

While it's a bit of an exaggeration to say the MPV has been blessed with the soul of a sports car, have to admit it isn't your ho-hum minivan.

We tested the '03 MPV ES. The thing has some guts, thanks to replacing the 2.5-liter, 170-horsepower V-6 that had been in it with the 3-liter, 200-h.p. V-6 from Ford Motor Co., which owns 33 percent of the Japanese automaker.

Kick the pedal and the V-6 responds with energy. No hesitation, no... Read More