2006 MX-5 Miata

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata

Have You Driven the 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata?

Nice car, spoiled by low quality interior

by Michigan Miata Guy from Northern Michigan on Tue Jun 05 2012

Mechanically, the car is excellent. Mine has the 6 speed manual, and it's smooth as silk. I opted for the sport package, and got the suspension upgrades. I absolutely love the car. I've owned it for about 6 years now. It was my daily driver when I lived in Los Angeles. Now that I've moved back to Michigan, it's stored in the winters. The engine is fantastic, and more has very good power for this chassis. The brakes are excellent, and the car stops in very short distances. It corners like it's on rails. What's bad about it? Mazda used extremely low quality materials for the interior. It has less than 34,000 miles on it, and the driver's seat has developed at split in it from wear. Contrast that to my Honda products that had over 200k on them when I traded them in, and the interior looked perfect. I rated it low for comfort, but it's a Miata, if you're looking for comfort, you'd probably select a different car anyway.

Fun!

by Cats and Dogs from Hollywood, FL on Wed Apr 21 2010

I was looking for a convertible, and didn't even considered a Miata. I drove Crossfires, 325s, a C class, a Sky and even an Eclipse- nothing was a much fun as I wanted it to be. I only looked at the Miata after I had exhausted all of the other possibilities. I now know how much time I wasted- this is where I should have started. This car is a blast! It is fast, it rides like a roadster (if you want a cushy ride, go somewhere else) and the handling is magnificent. It goes where you point it just as fast as you want to get there- nothing is loose, there is no hesitation. Are there things I would change? Sure. I'd love to have gotten more options (upgraded stereo, 6 speed), but it is, hands down, the most fun I've ever had on four wheels.

Best handling car I've owned

by MX-5 enthusiast from Maricopa, AZ on Tue Nov 29 2011

I bought this car with less than 30,000 miles on it. With the manual 6 speed I averaged over 32 mpg on a 400 mile weekend trip. It shifts effortlessly. The sixth gear could be a little higher to reduce rpms at 75 mph and improve mpg. Excellent cornering-feels like tires glued to the road. Manual convertible top better than electric because it takes about 5 seconds to lower. Quite noisy with top up. Passenger window leaks where top folds. Difficult to get in and out of. Seats could have more side support. I forgive all its faults since it is the best sports car for the price.

Fun car to drive

by Miata Enthusiant...Fun Fun Fun.... from Orange County, CA. on Fri Nov 19 2010

Wanted a fun car , good mileage ,good on gas and it also had great reliability reviews.... Had it all ..... Looks like a new car...INSIDE AND OUT. Awesome Bose sound system... Turns on a dime, fast performance & handeling I'm KEEPING THIS CAR FAR ALONG TIME...

Sporty ride

by Freeturide from Bristol, Ct. on Tue May 28 2013

Probably one of the best driving cars I ever owned! Drives as if on a track, no rattling, super tight, stops on a dime, accelerates quickly and great on gas.

WOW! Terrific car. Like a motor bike on 4 wheels

by Formerly Fiat Lover from London, Ontario on Thu May 01 2008

I bought my Fiat Spider in 1980 when I lived in Calgary and almost froze to death driving home from the mountains at Banff. I bought my Miata used this year to replace the Fiat while I repaired it. I love this car! I may never work on the Fiat because this car is soooo much better. Zoom, Zoom is right (and good gas mileage to boot)

My Second Miata a Third Generation

by Tweedy from Peoria, IL on Tue Sep 24 2013

My first Miata was a 1999 I bought it in 2002 and used it as an everyday driver. 112,000 miles later, I decided it was time to move up to my next car with a few more current features. I have had this Miata for about two weeks and really enjoy driving it both in town and on the highway, including a half hour rain a few days ago. We are looking forward to some road trips and one of my wife's complaints about the old car was the cup holders. The 2006 Grand Touring Miata has holders in each door that are easier to use with bottles. There are two in the center console, but they are bothersome when shifting. The stereo system was a pleasant surprise, it has seven speakers, and a sound leveling system that adjusts to road noise. The sound is much improved over the old system. Storage is all new. The trunk is deeper since there is no spare tire I found it accommodates a large grocery box with room left for other items. It seems roomy enough to handle three soft sided travel bags and maybe a camera case. Inside there are storage bins behind both seats as well as one behind the center console. I do miss the sleeves for maps or an atlas on the seat backs. The glove box holds enough but the inside isn't smooth, so it's hard to organize. There is also a small net next to the passengers left leg. Every drive is like a vacation.

great car

by Seabreeze from Americus, Ga. on Mon Sep 19 2011

Rides a little rough, kind of like a go-kart but is extremely fun to drive. Great gas mileage-22 in the city! I have driven on the highway but not checked mileage yet. A pleasure on the highway although the seats do tend to get a little hard after a couple of hundred miles!! A little noisy with the top down but much better than I expected with top up. Bose speakers are great but the radio itself leaves a little to be desired. Mazda says you can put 3 carry-on sized suitcases in the trunk but I can't figure out how they did it! I met a man who put a supercharger on his but I don't understand why, this car has more power for a four cyl. than I will ever need. This is a great little two-seater and I fully recommend it.

I LOVE this car!!

by Miata4Ed from Upland, California on Thu Aug 14 2008

Sure, it's not spacious inside. And yes, it does bounce around on the freeway a bit. BUT...it just so much fun to drive! The top flips down in about 2.1 seconds and folds itself behind the seats. Not an inch of trunk space is used for the top. The 6-speed a/t is wonderful, and it even has paddle shifters! The engine is plenty peppy and I've gotten as much as 36 mpg going out to Palm Springs. If this car were to be stolen or totaled, I'd take my insurance money and go buy another. I LOVE this car!!

A real drivers car

by BC from Ottawa, Ontario on Sun Oct 18 2009

I enjoy this car more than any I have ever owned. I'm amazed that for its size, how comfortable it is on long drives,you can stay in for hours and it doesn't beat you up. The handling and braking are fantastic and the engine has more than enough power. The car is really well balanced and the Mazda engineering team really did an excellent job.. My one dis- the "handling packing". Why is this an option on the top GT trim level but standard on the lower GX trim level ?????? . I was into 5.0 litre Mustangs and having made the switch must confess that the MX5 "ain't no girl's car". It is a really nice fun car and I have received compliments from both men and women.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Our Take on the 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata

Always with the Miata, there was the knee problem. Everything fit in a Miata but my right knee, which seemed to intersect with the console in a manner that I found unacceptable. Several times I've been tempted to buy a Miata, and several times, I've decided that the knee room was unacceptable.

Funny, isn't it? Little things can make or break your relationship with an otherwise ideal car.

So when the all-new 2006 Miata -- which Mazda would prefer we call the MX-5, as it does elsewhere in the world -- showed up, the first thing tested was right knee room.

Better. Much better. Due in part to the redesign of the interior, and in part to the extra width of about an inch and a half, my knee decided we could... Read More