2013 GL-Class

2013 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class

2013 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class

4.5

Have you driven the 2013 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class?

A tank on wheels

by Allen from New York, NY on March 19, 2017

This vehicle has earned my respect even with couple of headaches it has given me. Bought it certified with 34K miles. After little over one year I have put about 50K miles on it. I use it for work, and I really mean for work. Engine on this vehicle starts around 6 am and works for 7-12 hours straight non-stop. I had couple of issues with engine mounts and one of the exhaust valves, both issues were taken care of by MB dealer. Right now starting to have minor problems with front suspension. But to be honest, with NYC roads I don't blame the car. This vehicle is a true character of German engineering and American assembly. Do yourself a favor and get one of these certified or brand new with warranty, other than that, stay away from it, because it's very expensive to fix. Overall, great vehicle! Drives great, comfortable, and very safe. 7 passenger truck but handles like a sedan, great in big city driving, not too big and easy to maneuver in tight spaces, turn radius is great as well. Gas milage is typical for V8 engines 8-11.5 mpg in City and 16-22.6 Hwy.

GL350 Bluetec

by Fuel Saver from Maryland on September 1, 2015

This is my First Diesel fuel vehicle. So far, I love it. Great gas Milage. I would definitely recommend this to friend. The GL350 rides very smooth for a diesel SUV.

The best car I've had in years!

by WongWifey from on March 19, 2017

We were car shopping for a few months with 4 different SUV's in mind. The Audi Q7, Lexus LX570, Cadillac Escalade, and the Mercedes GL550. We found the Audi was to small and the dash board was very basic and was hard to find with DVD players in them. The Escalade, for its size, was lacking size on the inside. The Lexus was too expensive for the year we wanted, leaving the Mercedes perfectly right in the middle of all of them. The price was right, it had everything we wanted and it is sporty and fast!! Also there isn't too many of them around. It's nice not seeing one on every corner.

Third times the charm!

by 3 GLs from LBI, NJ on November 23, 2013

This is my 3rd GL. I have owned an 07 and 10. Both of these I gave to family members. This is hands down my favorite out of the three. I had test driven the Escalade, QX56, Navigator, and LX570, but this has always come out on top. It is comfortable, stylish, and roomy for my family of 4. Bottom line: GET IT!!!

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by Hamedo from vienna,va on July 15, 2014

"This is my 4th GL450 and now 2013. There are marked improvements in the handling and the ride. The twin turbo is very responsive, while getting better gas mileage than the previous GL's I have owned. I only have 10000 miles on it, but so far, not one thing to complain about or change. Way to go Mercedes!"

Safe, luxurious, comfortable family car

by Steve_Thompson from Sausalito, CA on August 12, 2018

Upraded to this suv after having a van for several years. After we upgraded, my kids actually fell asleep on long drives (something that was hard in our minivan) due to sound and ride quality. This suv is extremely plush and easy to drive, park, navigate. Not to mention it has suspension that rises at a push of a button (was helpful when we drove up to the hills to cut down our own xmas tree).

Amazing SUV but prepare yourself for maintenance

by Chris from Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW) on February 22, 2018

Wife and I loved it. It is stylish, strong (powerful engine), very comfortable, and it looks like a lasting vehicle. All the trimmings are very sturdy and durable, the leather is double stitched and very thick. The MPG hover on the mid teens to the low twenties, but the car is a tank, so not an issue there. The hauling/Towing abilities are amazing (easily 8 to 9k towing capacity). Suspension is AirMatic (so comfortable). Ground clearance is adjustable by sensor and manually if you are driving in a gravel area and etc. Lots of pros. However after an extensive research, and engagement with owner and dealerships, we confirmed that the maintenance is very unique. From and oil change to the Air suspension which almost certainly will break within the first 100k miles, costs are very high to maintain. Recommendation is to purchase a good warranty, a very thorough warranty.

No better Luxury SUV at any Price

by MB Fan from Dallas, TX on January 10, 2018

I have own my 2013 GL-450 for more than two years. Purchase it CPO and I'm the second owner. I purchased it with extended CPO warranty that is even better that new vehicle warranty. The experience of owning this vehicle is exceptional. This is the only 7 seat luxury SUV with a twin-turbo V8, 0-60 mph under 7 seconds. Taking in consideration that the size of this vehicle that is truly impressive. The ride quality is great as it has he perfect balance of isolation from the outside world and drivers right feedback.

What an SUV should be

by drpeck from Hartford, CT on June 9, 2017

The GL is deceptive in that it looks and drives smaller than it is. Its every bit as spacious as an Escalade while driving like a true Mercedes which is why despite a hefty MSRP it is the #1 best selling SUV in its class. Unlike a Cayenne, it doesn't pretend to be a sports car. Its a luxurious uber comfortable, capable and safe large SUV.

Guarded Recommendation

by Family Guy from Chicago on March 24, 2014

This car was my wife's choice. Though we got a 2013 with under 10 K miles on it, there is virtually no change on the 2014 model. It fills a niche' in the luxury SUV market where it is just big enough that the third row seat is usable for bigger people, but not like driving a bus, in the case of the Escalade or the Navigator. It is true that the Escalade and Navigator have more room in the third row, but the Mercedes gives you just enough that you can squeeze by. Unfortunately the Lexus GX and LX are not competitors because its third row sits on the floor, making it only suitable for small children. This is inexcusable for the Lexus brand. I hope they come to their senses soon. And if you really want people in the third row, do not even thinking of looking smaller. There are a lot of SUV's in this smaller size (such as the Audi Q7) that CANNOT seat a normal human in the back. My six year old child got his foot stuck in the Q7 just trying to point his toes forward. There are a lot of SUV's in this size class that say they have three rows which should not legally be able to advertise this. Back to the Mercedes GL 450: In this middle size, really the main competitor is the 2014 LR4 by Land Rover. I actually liked the drive of the LR4 better, it had better pick up and handled more like a car than the Mercedes GL 450. The new engine on the LR4 improves upon dismal gas mileage making it more competitive. But the LR4 is less refined inside, the manipulation of the third row seat takes either two people or someone from Cirque du Soleil to raise and lower it. And there is a lot of exposed piping in the LR4 that makes it look rugged. My wife wanted a more elegant look. As far as driving the Mercedes, I am actually very disappointed. It has a biturbo V8 that is sluggish, it drives like a truck, it sounds like a truck (no, this is not the GL 350 with the diesel engine), and the gas mileage is about the same if not worse than others in its class that have greater pick up. I traded in a Lexus GX470 that blew this car away in acceleration and comfort. That brings me to the seats. The seats have a lot of adjustments but despite this, I just can't quite get comfortable. I am 6'5" so this can be difficult, but I have found many cars where the seats are much better. We have had it only 3 weeks when we blew a tire in a pot hole which is probably just bad luck. I know it sounds like I hate this car. I don't. And my wife absolutely loves it. In fact, I think she would divorce me if she knew I was speaking ill of it (or "her"). It does exude luxury and it looks great when it is not sporting the undersized spare. But it is expensive to buy, expensive to own (takes premium gas, synthetic oil, etc), and I just expected a little more comfort and a little better performance than this.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2013 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class

Piloting the redesigned 2013 Mercedes-Benz GL450 feels like driving a massive bank vault — solid, quiet and heavy. And if you're not careful with the option sheet, you'll need your own bank vault to pay for it.

Certain vehicles are made with specific markets in mind. The Mercedes-Benz GL-Class is one of them — an expensive luxury SUV designed for the American market, built in Alabama and aimed at wealthy Americans' love for big, fancy trucks.

Larger than international luxury SUVs like the Land Rover Range Rover but smaller than domestic models like the Cadillac Escalade, the GL-Class has been a hit for Mercedes-Benz both in the U.S. and internationally, spawning several powertrain options... Read More