2013 GL-Class

4.5 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

A tank on wheels

by Allen from New York, NY on March 19, 2017

This vehicle has earned my respect even with couple of headaches it has given me. Bought it certified with 34K miles. After little over one year I have put about 50K miles on it. I use it for work, and I really mean for work. Engine on this vehicle starts around 6 am and works for 7-12 hours straight non-stop. I had couple of issues with engine mounts and one of the exhaust valves, both issues were taken care of by MB dealer. Right now starting to have minor problems with front suspension. But to be honest, with NYC roads I don't blame the car. This vehicle is a true character of German engineering and American assembly. Do yourself a favor and get one of these certified or brand new with warranty, other than that, stay away from it, because it's very expensive to fix. Overall, great vehicle! Drives great, comfortable, and very safe. 7 passenger truck but handles like a sedan, great in big city driving, not too big and easy to maneuver in tight spaces, turn radius is great as well. Gas milage is typical for V8 engines 8-11.5 mpg in City and 16-22.6 Hwy.

GL350 Bluetec

by Fuel Saver from Maryland on September 1, 2015

This is my First Diesel fuel vehicle. So far, I love it. Great gas Milage. I would definitely recommend this to friend. The GL350 rides very smooth for a diesel SUV.

Third times the charm!

by 3 GLs from LBI, NJ on November 23, 2013

This is my 3rd GL. I have owned an 07 and 10. Both of these I gave to family members. This is hands down my favorite out of the three. I had test driven the Escalade, QX56, Navigator, and LX570, but this has always come out on top. It is comfortable, stylish, and roomy for my family of 4. Bottom line: GET IT!!!

Most troublesome car I own

by K SS from TORONTO, ON on January 16, 2018

Lot of trouble in 2013 have extended warranty otherwise its not worth buying OIL LEAK, ENGINE SIGN O2 SENSOR CHANGED, INTAKE INTERIOR CENSOR CHANGED

Does not recommend this car!!

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by Hamedo from vienna,va on July 15, 2014

"This is my 4th GL450 and now 2013. There are marked improvements in the handling and the ride. The twin turbo is very responsive, while getting better gas mileage than the previous GL's I have owned. I only have 10000 miles on it, but so far, not one thing to complain about or change. Way to go Mercedes!"

The best car I've had in years!

by WongWifey from on March 19, 2017

We were car shopping for a few months with 4 different SUV's in mind. The Audi Q7, Lexus LX570, Cadillac Escalade, and the Mercedes GL550. We found the Audi was to small and the dash board was very basic and was hard to find with DVD players in them. The Escalade, for its size, was lacking size on the inside. The Lexus was too expensive for the year we wanted, leaving the Mercedes perfectly right in the middle of all of them. The price was right, it had everything we wanted and it is sporty and fast!! Also there isn't too many of them around. It's nice not seeing one on every corner.

Guarded Recommendation

by Family Guy from Chicago on March 24, 2014

This car was my wife's choice. Though we got a 2013 with under 10 K miles on it, there is virtually no change on the 2014 model. It fills a niche' in the luxury SUV market where it is just big enough that the third row seat is usable for bigger people, but not like driving a bus, in the case of the Escalade or the Navigator. It is true that the Escalade and Navigator have more room in the third row, but the Mercedes gives you just enough that you can squeeze by. Unfortunately the Lexus GX and LX are not competitors because its third row sits on the floor, making it only suitable for small children. This is inexcusable for the Lexus brand. I hope they come to their senses soon. And if you really want people in the third row, do not even thinking of looking smaller. There are a lot of SUV's in this smaller size (such as the Audi Q7) that CANNOT seat a normal human in the back. My six year old child got his foot stuck in the Q7 just trying to point his toes forward. There are a lot of SUV's in this size class that say they have three rows which should not legally be able to advertise this. Back to the Mercedes GL 450: In this middle size, really the main competitor is the 2014 LR4 by Land Rover. I actually liked the drive of the LR4 better, it had better pick up and handled more like a car than the Mercedes GL 450. The new engine on the LR4 improves upon dismal gas mileage making it more competitive. But the LR4 is less refined inside, the manipulation of the third row seat takes either two people or someone from Cirque du Soleil to raise and lower it. And there is a lot of exposed piping in the LR4 that makes it look rugged. My wife wanted a more elegant look. As far as driving the Mercedes, I am actually very disappointed. It has a biturbo V8 that is sluggish, it drives like a truck, it sounds like a truck (no, this is not the GL 350 with the diesel engine), and the gas mileage is about the same if not worse than others in its class that have greater pick up. I traded in a Lexus GX470 that blew this car away in acceleration and comfort. That brings me to the seats. The seats have a lot of adjustments but despite this, I just can't quite get comfortable. I am 6'5" so this can be difficult, but I have found many cars where the seats are much better. We have had it only 3 weeks when we blew a tire in a pot hole which is probably just bad luck. I know it sounds like I hate this car. I don't. And my wife absolutely loves it. In fact, I think she would divorce me if she knew I was speaking ill of it (or "her"). It does exude luxury and it looks great when it is not sporting the undersized spare. But it is expensive to buy, expensive to own (takes premium gas, synthetic oil, etc), and I just expected a little more comfort and a little better performance than this.

Great SUV

by New GL Owner from Chicago, IL on August 17, 2013

Great SUV! Stylish, powerful, functional and comfortable! The ride is smooth and quiet. There is a powerful growl with the V8. This is a truck that you can take to soccer game, grocery, off road, and even an opera and it will fit wherever you go. We checked in at a Four Seasons and the valet kept it up front. Steering is quick and precise. Navigation is nice to use. I did not get the rear entertainment package since I don't want my kids to watch TV all the time. To my surprise, the standard dash screen can play DVDs when parked and function with audio only when moving. Great feature so I can keep the kids in the car during grocery run and they can watch a movie with me while my wife dash out, take her time for errands etc. MB aspires to make this the S class of SUV. Agreed indeed!

Love it!

by New GL Owner from St. Louis, MO on July 30, 2013

Just got mine with P2 plus all the different safety features, love it, love it, love it. Handsome styling. The power is amazing. There is a slight turbo lag within half of a second but one can get used to it and step on the gas differently. The interior is great. Third row is truly useful. Still have room behind the third row for storage. It's quiet and yet powerful. Traded my X5 for this and my kids are loving it. Gas mileage is so so. However, one should not even worried about mpg when driving a 6000 pound bi turbo V8 that costs over $80K. The new GL450 is a want, not a need. Drive one and you will see!

Best SUV even if you cannot afford

by On the road again from Kansas City, MO on June 30, 2013

This SUV is so nice. Tons of meaningful safety features, blind spot/lane keep/cross wind/ terrain assists... Have it for about a month, love driving it. So smooth and quiet. I am planning a road trip just so I can drive if for a long distance. Test drove the GX, ML and X5, there is no comparison between. 3rd row is USEFUL, can't say that for my old GX and X5. Pay cash if you can afford it, if not, get a 48 month loan or lease it and enjoy the best you can get for you and your family.

1 2 3