2000 Cougar

3.8

Have You Driven the 2000 Mercury Cougar?

A prime example of a great Sport Compact

by an anonymous street racer from Indianapolis, IN on Tue Jun 01 2010

I own a 2000 Mercury Cougar V6 and have since I bought it used with 46,000 miles, 4 years ago. I have since made many aftermarket customizations and additions to it for racing. The vehicle has proven to adapt well to parts that weren't necessarily made for it. For a sport compact, it has a lot of free space under the hood which makes customization a breeze. I have had to put in only a few hundred dollars for expected repairs. Considering the car is now a decade old, it has been very cheap to maintain the few parts that are stock. For the sports car enthusiast or racer, this is a great car to start with and has many aftermarket parts available for it. Even for a casual commuter who's just looking for a little sportiness, the Cougar is great. With good fuel efficiency and an amazing stock body, this is an excellent sport compact car!

Love It

by rosey the red cougar from New Jersey on Tue Apr 14 2009

I bought the car used and while driving home I got an engine light for the intake manifold, when I reseached the car in forums this seemed to be a common problem in the cougar but i was able to fix it with used parts from a salavage yard for under 200 dollars. I drive it hard and it still performs excellently, had few transmission problems that were easy to fix and normal for a high milage car, but cheaper because they are domestic parts. I love the cougar because I seldom see any others on road and it turns heads as a stock inexpensive car. The only downside I don't like is the styling differences between the 2000 and 2002, such as the custom leather seats with the emblem on the headrest, and the emblems elsewhere in the interior. Overall I love the handling and the power you get from this very small but classy car. It especially turns heads when I can out perform high horse power cars with only a 170hp v6. Excellent gas milage for a v6, when I cruse on the highway I can reach up to 34! I also love the computer which tells how many miles till empty so when I don't drive my cougar I feel weird with not having that knowledge. This review is also written while my car has been in the shop for a month because of a deer collision and I have been driving a 2006 Jetta and now greatly appreciate and miss my cougar. When she gets back from the shop I will definetly pamper her with some highend detailing and make sure I keep her looking her best from now on.

by Ash from on Mon Nov 23 2009

I have had my Cougar for 2 years and I havn't had any problems with it at all. It is a VERY good and VERY reliable vehicle.

Great car

by John from New Jersey on Tue Jul 03 2012

After 12 years, I still own my 2000 Cougar. I bought it new off the dealer showroom floor and I just hit 200,000 miles. I've only had to perform basic maintenace - tires, brakes, fluids. At 150,000 miles I replaced the suspension which was costly, but the parts greatly outlived their lifespan. I'm a big guy and this car is very comfortable and it has a really good amount of cargo space considering its a sport coupe. The cougar has also handled very well in all weather conditions to include snow, with its front wheel drive. I financed the car for 3 years at 0.9% and ended up spending about $300 in interest. This has been a great car. Reliable, comfortable, stylish, multi-functional, and well worth the money.

It is definitely a great car!

by CougarMan from FL on Mon Jul 13 2009

I just sold my 2000 Mercury cougar. I had it for 2 years and that car was very loyal and it did took me everywhere with absolutely no problems. The body of the car is really y nice and the interior too. It was worth every penny!

great on gas,and a very good car!

by dewey from chadwicks,ny on Sun Nov 25 2007

I own a 2000 cougar with the sport package.the car handles better than any car i've ever owned! It has alot of power for a small 6. (2.5L) and the only thing i didn't like were the stock tires.once i changed them,the car has been awesome.for the money it performs better than vehicles in the high $20,000'S!if you ever get a chance to test drive one i think you'll be surprised.if you like soft riding cars,your not going to like it. it's firm,hense the great handling. also i bought this car used 4 years ago with 35,000 miles on it,now it has 94,000 miles and other than brakes,battery,and front wheel bearings(normal repairs for a 90k car!)it has been very cheap to own!

Reliability of a Mercury, pep of its pony car past

by Brickashaw from on Fri Aug 28 2015

Purchased my 2000 Cougar 12 years ago with less than 40,000 miles on it. I have the V6 5 speed model. The car's design is one of a kind. Car takes kindly to aftermarket parts. It is a sports car so it is low to the ground and may not be the best in the snow but sure is quick and hugs the road with it's tight suspension. With the rear seats folded down I've been able to fit 2 adult sized bicycles in the trunk. At over 150,000 miles I've had to replace the battery just 3 times and the alternator once. If required, replacement parts are cheap because they are domestic. Great gas mileage (over 30 mpg in 5th gear). Great value. Great car.

Hot Hatchback

by Fx4R30 from Sciota, NY on Mon Mar 19 2007

I own a 2000 Cougar. With its sporty exterior it really turns heads. However, the real deal is on the inside. The impressive interior is way ahead of its time and seems to be nicer than many 06-07 interiors in other vechicles. I love the leather seats and shift nob. The Cougar's high-points don't end there... its impressive handling and great gas milage (for a V6) make it a hot buy.

Sporty yet affordable

by DaNo from Lac du Bonnet, MB on Wed Nov 01 2006

I own a 2000 Mercury Cougar with the v6. I love the overall look and it's nice to have some extra power when passing. Overall awesome sports car for the money.

WE WANTED A 2 DOOR

by THE ARTISAN from WAPAKONETA, OHIO on Mon Oct 02 2017

THE VEHICLE WE PURCHASED HAS EVERYTHING WE WANTED, EXCEPT A MOON ROOF-WHICH IT HAS BUT IT DOES NOT WORK AND IT WILL BE VERY EXPENSIVE TO REPAIR IT.

1 2

Our Take on the 2000 Mercury Cougar

We first tested the Mercury Cougar when it arrived in Lincoln Mercury dealerships more than a year ago. Our harshest criticism of the car - a rather cheap-looking interior - has yet to be addressed on the 2000 model. But our overall impression of the Cougar has been tempered somewhat, if not downright improved, after comparing it with Toyota's all-new Celica, a head-to-head competitor that we wrote about last week.

He: Normally, we don't review a relatively new car in its second year. But the 2000 Cougar is such a better car than the new Celica in so many ways, we felt compelled to give it some ink. The one place where Toyota still wins is assembly quality. Our Cougar had some trim out of place... Read More