1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse

Not Dependable

by from Maine on November 24, 2010

I bought a 91 Eclipse off a friend a while ago, and I got ripped off. The transmissions in these cars are weak in the first place, and right now it is sitting out back of my house, waiting for a guy to come buy it as a parts car. It has the second transmission in it, and the car will not shift into gear. The transmission is most likely shot once again. The clutch is fried, the rear brake rotors are warped, the front end bucks and jumps up and down (broken CV joint or possible broken front axle), and there are many more smaller problems such as oil leaks and it dying on me while idling. It was a fast car when driving, and it sounds very nice with a performance muffler on back, but I would definitely not recommend this vehicle to anybody.

best used car I ever owned

by from Birmingham, Alabama on March 17, 2011

I bought a base model Eclipse from a friend in 2000 and drove it for 10 years. I changed the clutch slave, replaced the heater core, replaced the clutch safety switch, replaced the timing belt when I first got it with 86,000 miles and at 160000 miles and performed all of the OEM recommended maintenance in between. It has the 1.8L engine and will scoot right along with traffic, no problem. I averaged 32 MPG in spite of a somewhat 'spirited' driving style. It now has 186,000 miles on it and I intend to keep driving it for as long as I can.

Our Expert Review: 1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse