Find out if this car is the best match for you.
1996 Maxima

1996 Nissan Maxima

$126 - $6,134  MSRP Range
1996 Nissan Maxima

Have You Driven the 1996 Nissan Maxima?

One of the best cars I've owned!

by Celired from Houston, TX on Wed Sep 30 2009

The 96' Maxima is one of the best sedans I've ever driven. My dad bought it new back in 96' and it's still running great today! The engine is one of the best made in that period and will last usually 200-300,000 miles, but if you take care of the car I'm positive you can get better. Mines about at 180,000 miles and it's still running strong. The car has a powerful V-6 engine, which helps if ever you need quick speed. It's a stick shift, and for being such an old car it shifts so smoothly, you'll love it! This is one of those cars that if you do routine basic maintenance it will last you forever! The steering is pretty smooth, it's not too stiff, and it actually helped me avoid a crash the other day. The seats are decently comfortable, I never feel any discomfort while driving, even for long distances so that's a plus. The backseat isn't bad, but if you have 3 adults sitting in the back, it might be pretty snug. The trunk is really huge! Anything you want to fit back there go for it, you wont have trouble fitting it all. The gas mileage isn't the best when compared to todays cars, I usually get 22mpg, but I drive like I stole the car so that may give you some idea. This is mostly city driving, if you drive mostly highway then you'll get maybe 3 or 4 more mpg. The car is supposed to be pretty safe, I've heard of some people getting their maximas totaled and they survive with minor injuries so that always makes me feel better when driving. Overall, the car is very reliable, safe, and it can be very fast! I'd recommend this car to anyone who needs one that is cheap and reliable, and if you need a first car for your son/daughter, get them one of these.

going on 400,000 miles

by Annimal from Tampa Florida on Mon Nov 26 2012

I bought my Maxima brand new in '96. I love this car. It is a tank and also a quick sporty car. I have a 5 speed and have close to 400,000 miles on it. It is in the shop right now getting a complete paint job, it had some wear and tear and damage from a hit and run. I just can't get rid of this car, it doesn't owe me anything and there isn't another car that I want to go in debt to drive.. If you can find one of these cars that has been taken care of, buy it.....

My almost favorite car

by Fire from Indianapolis, IN on Fri Mar 09 2012

I bought my 96 Maxima SE new and have 160,000 miles on it. Other than brakes, batteries, tires, etc. I haven't spent much money on it. Even though it's 16 years old the paint still shines and the mechanicals are still running strong. I did just have to replace a radiator (which I found out was plastic) and a few other minor items, plugs, etc. I still love looking at this car. I owned an 87 Maxima, 86 Sentra, 90 Maxima, 92 NX 2000 and currently own a 2004 350 Z roadster. The 96 Maxima is my favorite big car I've even owned (have owned Buicks, Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles, etc.). I'm thinking about selling or trading. I've gotten 22-24 MPG, it's comfortable to ride on long drives and handles well. It still has tons of pickup and speed. I would fully recommend this car to anyone, it's a great car. I haven't driven a new Maxima and I'm sure there are a lot of new "things" on it, but I'm not to sure it can improve on the ride, structural integrity and mechanical soundness I've had with this car.

the ultimate driving machine

by paul from Columbus County, NC on Wed Oct 03 2007

The Nissan Maxima is the most enjoyable and the best driving car I've ever owned. The best performance out of this vehicle is to operate it the way it came from factory. To own one is a joy and a pleasure and it won't let you down. I've owned quite a few cars but this one 96 Maxima has been a blessing. Ya gotta get one...

Most Reliable Car I have ever Owned

by Maxima enthusiast from minnesota on Thu Jul 31 2008

The nissan maxima not only has the famous VQ engine known for its reliability and power. it also rides and drives like a sports car. I am in love with my maxima because no matter if everything else is breaking down in my life I can always fall back on my maxima. I have had no problems thus far and I have 140K on mine and drive her hard every day.

Awesome car!!

by Sarah from NJ on Mon Oct 05 2009

I just love my Maxima! It drives great with over 150,000 miles on it. It's definitely a reliable car and I highly recommend it.

1996 Maxima SE

by Car Enthusiast from Pcola, FL on Mon Jul 10 2006

This has been the most reliable work horse that I have ever owned. Nissan did it right back in the mid 90's. It is still a great looking, good performance(190Hp), great handling, awesome interior type car that lasts. My Maxima's interior is nicer than brand new cars like (Scion xA/xB and TC/, Honda Civic/ Accord/ and any Korean car on the planet earth. Not to mention Ford/ Chevy/ Saturn/ and most American manufactured cars. I took my Automatic Maxima once to the Drag strip and beat a Mustang GT down the 1/8th mile strip, he was very embarassed. If you change the oil and just do basic maintenance Maximas will last in excess of 300,000 miles.

3rd Maxima I've owned

by Benny from Dallas, TX on Fri Mar 27 2009

I owned an 86 model an 89 model and now have the 96. When I sold my 89 SE it had 336000 miles. My 96 SE has 350000 miles on it and it still runs beautifully. It's mostly highway miles but the engine runs like a new one. I wouldn't own anything but another Maxima

Best car ever

by NIssanfamilyguy from Chas.,S.C. on Mon Feb 08 2016

I purchased my 96 Max in '01 for around 10K. It was a fabulous car for about 10 years but then the little things started going;cd player,sunroof,window controls. I did drive the HECK out of it and probably could've done better service on it but with even with 241k on it now the motor is still strong. NO RUST!!! I don't know how Nissan does it but there is zero rust on this car...CV joints will need replacing on most models at 100K. I still love this car.

1996 Maxima GLE is the best bang for the buck!

by Driver from NY on Fri Mar 06 2009

This is a great car to own: fast, reliable, good mileage. Mine is 178 K and running better than may new cars I tested. The engine is the best in it's class for sure. I simply change oil every 5K and do basic maintenance, and it's running, and running, and running! Nothing outlasts the Energizer Maxima!

1 2 3

Our Take on the 1996 Nissan Maxima

THE INFINITI I30 and Nissan Maxima are twins separated at birth. The difference is that the I30 grew up in a better neighborhood. Here, then, is a description of how environment influences outcome.

The 1996 I30 looks better than the 1995 Maxima, even though they share an identical platform -- the automotive equivalent of DNA. I have a theory about why the I30 is more attractive.

If you grow up wearing nice-looking clothes, you tend to think better of yourself. If you think better of yourself, you feel better. If you feel better, you smile more often, which makes you look better.

The I30 grew up wearing nice-looking clothes. It has a fancy "waterfall" grille that puts the face of the Maxima to... Read More