1998 Nissan Maxima

Solid, sporty and dependable

by from Rochester, NY on August 28, 2008

Have owned my 98 Maxima SE with a manual 5 speed since 1999. It's an outstanding car, and still runs like a top in 2008 (90,000 miles). In all these years the only feature I wish it had was a fold-down rear seat for larger cargo area on occasion. The v6 engine is peppy, strong and reliable and as long as you do the regular maintenance (oil & filter) will perform for years and years like mine has. Has been great for winter and summer driving.

Outstanding reliability

by from on August 27, 2011

Bought this car used and have zero problems with the car for 6 years. With over 210,000 on the original engine and transmission it drives like a new car. The interior is completely quiet while driving, no rattles, squeaks, wind noise. Unbelievable for a car this old. The paint is still great, the best car I've ever owned along with my Infiniti I30.

BEST IN ITS CLASS!!

by from San Diego, California on November 1, 2010

I have had my car since it had 33k miles and now has over 60k. I have changed the oil, tires, and the brakes. Thats all I have done to this car. Drives better than any 2005+ cars. It is much reliable, faster, and looks better than most in its class. If you like a sporty car with luxury this is for you. I cant find words to describe how good of a car this is. The torque on this car is amazing. At 80 mph, you hit the gas and it pulls like a bull. Great balance and light weight. It is better than 240sx and 300zx if you know what I mean. With full tank which has about 16 gallons I drive 420 miles on highway with average speed of 70mph. anyway. I would also recommend salvage maximas, IN GOOD CONDITION though. I bought mine 6 years ago with 33k miles salvage title for $4800. And if I want to sell it today I can easily sell it for the same price. Thats the advantage you get with salvage title. And like I said I have only changed tires, brakes and oil.

I love this car so much awsomeness

by from Minnesota on February 12, 2007

I love the performance. The 3.0l is one of the best engines Nissan has ever made. It looks so good and there is a ton of aftermarket addons for it. lots of maximas made so easy to find parts.

Had car 12 years, no engine problems

by from Minnesota on June 25, 2010

This has been an excellant vehicle. Fun to drive and still looks and feels new. Has had brakes done 3 times in 175,000 miles. My neighbor bought one a week after I did and has 225,000 miles on his. My son's friend had a '96 and was in a head on crash at 65 MPH and credits the Maxima with saving his life!

Has Served Me Well

by from Massachusetts on September 23, 2012

First things first, my car was purchased used at a good price in a private sale. Since purchasing the vehicle I have had to replace a knock sensor, a purge valve, the starter, and had the front sway bars replaced due to a broken end link on one side. The repairs have been relatively cheap, and for a car with 130k miles on it, I am surprised that I have not had to make more serious repairs. With regular maintenance I imagine this car will continue to serve me well as it has for the past year of ownership. The car gets pretty good gas mileage, and I feel comfortable driving it. Plenty of power. Its definitely a solid first car and if you can get it at a good price with relatively low mileage you will have a car that can serve you for years to come.

Great Car

by from Lynchburg, VA on January 24, 2015

I bought a new Maxima in 1998 and put over 200k miles on it with no issues. Mine was a black SE with the automatic transmission. It ran well, always was dependable. I regretted the day I let it go. I recently found another one with 73k miles on it. Yep, I bought it! You just cannot beat these cars! I am looking forward to a lot of trouble free miles on this black 1998 SE as well. I met my wife in the first Maxima. Now after 15 years of marriage, we decided to be nostalgic and get another one! Lovin' it and love our Max!

Maxima

by from on August 29, 2012

My 1998 Maxima has over 200,000 miles and is still going strong. I would recommend this car to anyone that wants something cheap and reliable.

Love this car

by from Pennsylvania on July 17, 2012

I've owned this car since driving it off the showroom floor when it first came out in Summer of 1997. Never had a problem, have done all required maintenance. Everything still works great, heated seats, Bose stereo, electric sunroof.

what a car

by from long island on June 15, 2006

the nissan maxima is the best inexpensive choice for a used vehcle.it offers reliability with very little mantinence.comfortablle nice looking,just a great ride.

Our Expert Review: 1998 Nissan Maxima