2001 Pathfinder

4.5 out of 5 starsExterior Styling
4.3 out of 5 starsInterior Design
4.2 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.1 out of 5 starsReliability

Solid as the day I bought it!

by Patrick from Folsom California on December 10, 2009

I have a 114k miles on this suv and it still starts/drives/handles the same as did when it was new. Power to spare and very solid off road. The inside features are simple and easy to use. The only real problem I have had is with the multi-cd changer "its junk" and Nissan has ignored my complaints. If they had had replaced the unit or at least offered a new one at a good price I would have been Nissan owner for life.

Loved my Pathfinder LE

by Pathfinder LE Lover from Kuttawa, KY on October 20, 2010

Bought my 2001 Pathfinder LE Used with 32,000 miles on it. I owned it 7 years and had 83,661 miles when last week it was rear ended at 55 mph. We walked away unharmed. I can't say enough about this SUV. My heart broke to hear they have totaled it. In the 7 years I owned this fabulous vehicle, I put on one set of tires, replaced one battery and did periodic oil changes. I only used 87 octane fuel in it and the Pathfinder ran great. This is by far the only vehicle I will feel safe in and I am desperately looking to replace it.

this thing is awesome

by jfunk from rochester, ny on December 30, 2008

it just goes. i live in rochester and this winter has been nothing with the pathfinder. the four-wheel drive makes this bad boy just go. my driveway and neighborhood are really hilly, and the pathfinder just gets up it, even in thick snow and ice. it handles very well in the snow and in regular driving, and is more like a car than a truck in that sense. the front seats are very comfortable and visibility is great. tons of cargo space (limited rear seat room, unfortunately). the only big downside is that gas goes quickly if you stomp the pedal. but, if you drive like a normal person you can upwards of 15mpg in mostly city driving. the comfort features are nice too, heated mirrors, power everything, leather wheel/shifter, good sound system standard (bose!), and possibly the sturdiest SUV of its size ever built. it feels like it was built to last, and the number of them on the road is proof of this. i adore mine.

Owned this Pathfinder for 13 years

by Sean from New Jersey on August 1, 2013

My family purchased a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE brand new in 2000, and it has my daily driver for 3 years since I started driving. The LE is the luxury model with heated leather seats, upgraded Bose sound system, 6 disc cd changer, my Pathfinder also has 4WD capability. Currently reaching 180,000 miles. The Good: The styling of this pathfinder has aged really well and is still sharp-looking inside and out 13 years later. I like the truck-like boxy exterior but it's not too overdone. It's not as dated and funky looking as the more truck-like pathfinder which came before it, but yet it's more rugged than the minivan styling of the newer pathfinder. The interior has held up really well and the leather seats are in pristine condition. The drivers seat has some wear and tear from so many years of use but is perfect compared to some other cars' leather I've seen. The materials feel like high-quality, lots of leather and soft touch surfaces. The Pathfinder's ride is firm and fun to drive. It rides like a rocket compared to most other trucks and SUVs. The blind spots aren't too bad and I feel like I can take it into the tightest corner and successfully maneuver my way out. The 4WD works well and is a very fun vehicle to drive off-road, almost as fun as a Jeep Wrangler. Much more fun to take off-roading than a clunky pickup. The bad: My check engine light has been on for about 4 years now. Along with almost every other owner of the 2001 Pathfinder, I've had to replace all the oxygen sensors. The CD player stopped working, but the casette & radio works just fine (I use the casette player to plug my ipod in, the quality is great). The dashboard clock has stopped working. The a/c broke last summer. The fuel economy is awful for a crossover. Our 2008 Tahoe gets 1 MPG better and that's a big SUV. It's not the worst gas mileage in the world but you would think a vehicle like this could do better. I only learned recently that it wants premium gasoline (after filling it with only regular for over a decade). It does ride a bit smoother on Premium and accelerate better, and the gas mileage goes further with premium so it pays off (I hope). The front doors are unreasonably heavy. Almost every passenger I have has to shut the door twice because they don't realize how heavy it is & they never shut it all the way the first time. The interior space may be a concern for some. However, it is perfect for me (I'm 5'8"). Getting in and out is a breeze. You don't have to climb up like in a truck (which takes a toll on the seats) and you don't have to squat down like in a sedan, it's just right. The door opens so that you don't scrape your dirty shoes on the door panel. Everything is within reach. If I have something on the passenger seat, I don't have to lean or extend my reach like in a bigger truck or suv. However, if you are a bigger or much taller person you may feel cramped in the interior.

Great SUV, but disappointed with Reliability

by Used to love Pathfinders from Cincinnati, OH on August 10, 2006

After 60K miles had a lot of problems. Overheating (had to replace radiator), Catalytic converters (both needed replaced), Bose in-dash 6 cd changer (needed fixed twice). Expected better reliability. Upto 60K, it was excellent.

Does not recommend this car!!

A Diehard Fun Ride On and Off Road

by Drifter from Wyoming on August 10, 2015

I have owned my 01 Pathfinder for 8 years. It is an exceptionally reliable vehicle, and has been a great do it all ride- daily commute, vacation road trips, and off road weekend adventures. The styling is sleek and I think still looks cool even though it is 14 years old now. The size of this vehicle is perfect for a couple or with a kid and/or pet. Lots of well thought out interior design features. I have worn through the vinyl on the armrest, but I think if I had stored it inside the interior would still be in great condition. The Pathfinder rides very well on the highway and city. I REALLY love its off road capabilities. I regularly take on on dirt roads in the basin and godawful rocky two tracks in the mountains. It has handled it all just fine. Obviously the clearance is not as good as a truck, but I have found it works in 99 percent of off road situations. The only time it has failed on me is when I tried to cross a wide ford in it- the stream was about 4 ft deep in the middle, deep enough that I lost traction on the stream bottom and flooded out. The only other critique I have is I wish the cargo bay was a few inches longer- you can easily car camp in the back with the seats laid down, but I am 6 ft tall and have to lay diagonally to fit.

Best Used SUV

by Pathfinder finds the path to my heart from Chicago, IL on August 2, 2007

I own a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE with the 3.5L V6. That year it had the most power in its class and I can tell everytime I step on the gas. It has a powerful 240horsepower V6 with great pickup and power. I have about 141,000 miles on the engine with a rebuilt trans at about 139,000 miles and it runs like the first day I bought it. No leaks, no noise, no problems. It starts every time and never dies. The gas mileage is pretty good for a 4x4 suv compared to any domestic vehicle. I looked at Toyota 4Runners with amazing reliability but Nissan has just as good, with more power.

Good Vehicle

by 2nd pathfinder. from Poughkeepsie NY on January 11, 2008

Owned it for about three years...got with 20k. Excellent vehicle and very enjoyable to drive. Comfort is unbelieve. Great in the snow. Interior and exterior toughness is some of the best i have seen. Now to the bad...The pathfinder has many little repairs that can be costly. Preminum Gas is a killer. Overall, very good suv for the money as long as you realize repairs will be necessary unlike a honda or comparable vehicle.

Great SUV for the money

by SUV Enthusiast from Atlanta, GA on January 17, 2010

Absolute workhorse and fun to drive. Mine has 115k miles on it, runs like a champ. Only issues were small sensors and a battery or two. Comfortable, can haul whatever you need and reliable.

Sleek Design SUV

by SUV Enthusiast from Chicago, IL on June 13, 2006

This vehicle has all the same upgrades as the Infinity QX4 with a lower price. Drivers very smooth, especially with the new tires. Excellent sound system.

1 2 3 4