2005 Pathfinder

2005 Nissan Pathfinder

2005 Nissan Pathfinder

3.8

Have You Driven the 2005 Nissan Pathfinder?

Mechanical Problems

by bubsie from Somerset, Ky on Tue Jun 28 2011

Problems with fuel level sensor and transmission. Transmission problems caused by radiator leaking into transmission. Both reoccuring problems with 2005 pathfinders. Google to find out just how bad. Bought used and began to have problems around 85,000 miles. Nissan not taking any responsibilty. Own 2 altima's and no problems.

Pretty good after 5 years

by Shirt from Nevada City, CA on Wed Mar 17 2010

I'm puzzled at all the "hate" reviews for this car. I've used and abused mine for nearly 5 years and have few complaints. The reliability has been rock solid, the mileage is to be expected for a 270hp, 5,000 lb. vehicle, and the ride is great for a solid-rear axle vehicle. If you have complaints about all these things you should be in a Highlander, not a Pathfinder. I have two gripes for which Nissan is truly at fault. First, the standard headlights are lousy. An SUV should have brighter, wider-discharge headlights than normal, but these are sub-par on any scale, even with the fog lights on. Boo. Second, chains will not fit on the front wheels because they're too tight in the wells. I live down a 26 percent, unpaved road that loads up with snow in the winter. 4WD is not enough, and I can only fit chains on the rear. Is this an SUV or isn't it? My antique Land Cruiser pounds the off-road far better. All that said, I'm pleased with the ride, the power, the interior ergonomics, the towing capabilities, the remapped throttle when in compound low, etc.

Even better than my Honda Pilot

by Nissan and Honda Fan from Davenport, IA on Wed Jan 11 2012

The 2005 Pathfinder has performed even better than my Honda Pilot (which I didn't think I could beat). It's been reliable, provided all the comforts I was looking for, and an all around great SUV. I recommend Nissan now as much as I always recommended Honda.

Very dependable

by 30 year old. Married w/one child from Los Angeles, CA on Wed Oct 01 2014

I bought this car in 2005 brand new, when I was a single person. I thought about selling it and getting something smaller, but I always ended up needing the space or seating capacity every now and then so I kept it. I had read all of the horror stories regarding the transmission/radiator fluid problem - so guess what? I spent $200 and replaced the radiator. Problem solved. My Pathy also had that annoying timing chain lifter WHINE when I hit the gas pedal. Nissan is already aware of the problem and even sells pre-packaged repair kits for that problem. $110 dollars. The ONLY thing I can complain about is once a sensor went out on me and my car shut off, but it started up again and I drove it to my local mechanic shop and $65 later - it was fixed. This truck has been bulletproof for me, so far. I got rear ended on the freeway by some idiot who was texting. I was at a dead stop and he hit me doing about 45 - his car was wrecked and completely totaled - I sustained about $2800 in damages. I've towed a 3000 lb trailer from LA to Salt Lake City in the dead of winter, 3 times. This beast has been to Dallas TX, Guadalajara Mexico, Portland Or, Las Vegas about 20 times...and has never let me down. All she needs is a little preventative care and TLC just like any other vehicle. The interior room is amazing (my only wish would be 2 more inches of leg room in the 2nd and 3rd row) and I couldn't be happier with my Pathy. I will keep it until either it does or I do.

LOVE THIS CAR!

by LOVEMYPATHFINDER from PATTERSON,NJ on Tue Jan 16 2007

I own and i absolutely love this vehicle!! for the price it is extraordinary and would recommend it to anyone! I feel extremely comfortable driving this car around and it gives me a comfort of feeling safe. The seven seating is an added plus and the car is very comfortable to drive.

Ran good, but had many stupid problems

by DonaldDKerby from Tucson, AZ on Tue Apr 17 2018

This car always ran reliably, but over the course of 13 years of ownership I noticed that there were always dumb problems cropping up. Switches and dials on the interior would break, the 'check engine' light came on often, and there were problems with the airbag sensors. Overall, although it always ran, it often needed repairs.

Great Car

by Marcus G from Hallandale, Fl on Wed Jan 08 2014

I have been more than pleased with the reliability of Nissan trucks and was very comfortable in the purchase of the pathyrun like a top, I have driven it all over the western United States on many occasions and never had a problem

2005 pathfinder le 4x4

by Lee from Florida on Tue Feb 11 2014

Purchased this vehicle a few months ago because I have a 93 pathfinder that has been an awesome vehicle. Had the 05 for two months and transmission went out. $3600 later it runs like a champ. Dealer suckered me and I payed the price. It is quick, powerful and very capable on all surfaces and has a lot of refinement in a small package. Engine noise can be loud with acceleration but quiet with normal use. Wish drivers seat was a little lower but I'm 6'2" and I fit in ok. It tows my boat and seats a family of 5 when needed.

Worst car I've owned

by Phoenician from Phoenix, AZ on Wed Jun 18 2008

Let me phrase it this way... Do not buy this car. This car is a dispicable trashcan and has few features unless you spend thousands of dollars extra, bumping up the price about $5k. The ride is uncomfortable and the AC unit broke within the first few weeks of owning the vehical. Nissan then made it very difficult for me to get my car reparied, though it would take a long amount of time for me to say how. If you want a decent car, this is one isn't a good bet. Fuel economy could be a bit better too.

Very reliable car. Rides very smooth and seats 7 c

by Love traveling from Atlanta, Ga on Thu Jul 05 2018

This car is very comfortable to ride, with lots of leg room in front and back, used it mostly for traveling. Has a nice Bose surround system, so you can listen to your favorite music during riding

1 2 3 4 5 6

Our Take on the 2005 Nissan Pathfinder

Compared with the competition, Nissan was way, way behind the curve when it came to capitalizing on the sport-utility-vehicle craze. Economic hardship required the company to rely on the Pathfinder and its Infiniti derivative, the QX4, for far too long. By the time Nissan launched its entry-level SUV, the Xterra, for the 2000 model year, Toyota had been selling the RAV4 for four years.

An influx of cash from new owner Renault allowed Nissan the luxury of designing and building more vehicles. Nissan and Infiniti now offer a total of six SUVs, and a new car-based, sub-Xterra model may soon be added.

The problem with having lots of SUVs - and it's a problem Toyota and Lexus have encountered with their eight... Read More