Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2000 Grand Am

2000 Pontiac Grand Am

2000 Pontiac Grand Am

3.9

Have You Driven the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am?

Great Car

by Blue 2DR. from Kennewick, WA on Tue May 23 2006

I have a 2000 Grand Am SE 2DR. at 6'3" i can fit in the car with room to spare. it has a little over 73,000 miles on it and in the last 3 years i have not had to replace a single thing. i have a 800 watt amp hooked up to the stock altenator and have no problems with the headlights dimming or anything. Transmission still shifts great. I have driven the car from Washington State to Michigan, and back, pulling a 31 hour marathon drive were we only stopped for gas and food, and never had one problem with the car, even after driving it 2,000 miles in 31 hours. I would take this car cross country and back in a moments notice without a single worry. The car did excellent in the Michigan winter as well. Started up every morning even when the wind chill was in the negatives. I won't get rid of this car!

It's Reliable to a Fault and Fun Beyond Compare

by One Happy Owner from Pacific Northwest on Fri Jun 15 2012

Purchasing this car with 116,000 miles on it was the best decision I ever made with a car, bar none. Regular oil changes are all I've put into it for two years, and it has rewarded me with hours of delight and impeccable service. I've never had a car that handled the road so well. I think the only thing I would change is to add a little more padding to the seat, but that may have just compressed over the years. Some of my padding could use adjustment, too, so I'm not going to be very hard on it for that tiny of a thing!

Sporty car but

by Not 17 ;-) from Michigan on Sun Aug 16 2009

This is a great sporty car. Almost every time I go through a fast food drive-thru I get comments on it - not sure what it says that I am a grown-up and drive a car that 17 yr olds love. I love to drive it. It handles perfectly. Controls in steering wheel are amazing. BUT - This thing eats brakes and rotors. I had an independent shop do the brakes a couple of times, then gave up and took it to a respected dealer nearby. Same thing. I don't ride the brakes so not sure why this thing eats brakes. The window motors will break. I've had to replace both driver and passenger sides. If you're looking at a used Grand Am, ask if these have been replaced. I guarantee that they will need to be replaced before the car hits 120K. I paid about $280 each. The gasket referred to in other reviews will have to be replaced. My shop knew exactly what was wrong when this part went. They said this is very common in the Grand Am. My car has 130k on it, and all things considered, I don't regret buying it. Love the way it drives.

Wonderful vehicle

by Black GT from Sachse, TX on Thu Apr 02 2009

I purchased my 2000 GT1 sedan back in 2005, with 84,000 miles. I first owned a 2003 but with the cost per month, we decided to purchase this car so I wouldn't have a car payment. It can get a tad expensive. I was so happy with my first grand am that I had to purchase another one. I absolutely love my car. So far, only minor issues with the car, which will happen with a 9 year old car with now 118,000 miles. It is a sedan, so the motors in the back two windows did go out, but my fiancee was able to purchase the part online and install in the car himself. Most other issues have been typical wear on this age of vehicle and the Texas sun is no help. I have had no engine problems, and change the oil every 3,000 miles. It has great handling, even in the rain and has plenty of room. I will be devastated when my car finally dies, but I've gotten 4 great years out of it and hopefully many to come.

GREAT!!!!

by GA lover from Mt. Vernon, IL on Sun May 21 2006

I've had my Grand Am SE now for about 6 years. It was a program car when I got it, so it only had 6000 miles on it. This car has been the best vehicle I've ever driven. As I speak to you now, (May 21,2006) I have over 215,000 miles on it, with NO major mechanical problems. The only thing that I've paid to have done on it is routine maintenence. NOTHING has been replaced. And, after 215,000 miles, I figured something would have went bad...but no, nothing! I'm simply amazed.

Great Car

by Paul from NT NY on Fri Apr 11 2014

I owned a 2000 GT 2dr. Loved the car. Very dependable. Very sporty ,quick car with good mpg avg 25. Great monsoon sound system, Comfy seats ,had 120,000 miles till i traded it in. VERY HAPPY with the Grand am.

most reliable car I've owned

by al from bridgeport, ct on Mon Sep 21 2009

I bought my grand am in 2006, as you guys said, problems allover, fuel pump went 2 days after I bought it. 3 years later needed head gascket, intake gascket. shocks/strats front, swaybar bushings front and rear, bolt joints front,outer tie rod front/left,rack and pinion, 2 head light had to replace them front lenses fell off. and now rear suspention it's making noise I gues needs shocks/ strats the turn signal was going crazy, ignition switch, radio is bad, horn does not work i don't know why but as I turn dhe steering it goes crazy too . But now the car is great after I've done all of these things to it accept the radio and horn.

Only 1 major problem....

by J-man from on Wed Jan 12 2011

Overall I have been happy with this car. I purchased it in 2005 with 60,000 miles on it, and currently have 105,000. The only real major issue I have had is the intake manifold gasket, which is a common issue. I suppousedly had that fixed shortly after I purchased it, but then more recently over the summer it almost overheated on a hot day, causing coolant to bubble over and out the overflow tube and onto my driveway. After taking it to the shop they said that once again, oil was leaking into the coolant "pretty bad." So I had to get that fixed again, and its a 600 dollar job each time. I have a feeling it was not properly fixed the first time...but who knows really, the mechanic I had do the job originally is now retired. Other than that my issues have been extremely minor. Occaisionally the turn signal "clicking" noise will just randomly go off, which is annoying, but it dosent seem to affect anything. That seems to come and go. The windshield wipers will "stutter" pretty bad in cold weather when using the delay setting. Strangely, they are fine on the normal or fast setting. The windows freeze up really easily, which is no big deal, except when going through the drive through and I realise my window wont roll down, thats kinda embarassing. Luckily, I can live with all these minor issues if the car gets me from point A to point B with no other major issues, and it does. Everything else has been just routine maintenance. Starts on a dime every time, and has nice power and MPG. Besides the intake gasket thing, I really cant complain.

Most UN-reliable car I've owned!!!!

by Very unimpressed pontiac owner from OH on Tue Apr 24 2007

This car seduces you for the first few months with its smooth handling and sporty engine, but then the honeymoon is over. I have a 2000 SE with the 3.4 V6. It has 70,000 miles on it now. I have had to replace every window motor, the driver side motor twice. The window switches have had to be replaced. I have had two major power outages due to circuit board shorts. None of the gauges worked, the a/c would not work and none of the windows would roll down. I have had to replace the signal cancel switch twice because the directional signals would not work. I have had to replace the whole instrument cluster on the steering column because the car was constantly clicking double-time like I was signalling. I have had to replace the engine gasket (which is plastic?? I mean come on people...plastic....in the engine??) it was replaced with a metal gasket. We have had to put new rotors on two times because of warping. Now the blower does not work on 1 and 2. I would love to push this car off a cliff. Stay away from Pontiac Grand AMs please.

Does not recommend this car!!

Great Car but lots of electrical repairs

by Loves Mothers Brand Wax's from Concord California on Sat Aug 09 2008

Have 84K on it. Turn signal indicator replaced at 40k and 84K, three window motors replaced, Had to replace driver side automatic window control panel as well as two door lock solenoids. Had to replace two turn signal light bulbs including a rear light circuit board. Current issue is key goes in but won't turn. Small coolant leak from bad seals (leak stop worked) Not going to keep too much longer. Have enjoyed driving it, good power and handling. Nice exterior.

1 2 3 4