2002 Boxster

2002 Porsche Boxster

2002 Porsche Boxster

Have You Driven the 2002 Porsche Boxster?

No compromise!

by Lucky Porschephile from Northeast Texas on Sun Aug 26 2012

I got in the market to buy a car and started looking at my dream car, the 911. Soon realized that the cost to run one would probably push me out of my price range. I started looking at Boxsters, per recommendation from my father, with some skepticism. I didn't think it would be anywhere near as sporty as the 911. Couldn't have been more wrong! I bought a 2002 base model Boxster, with that small 2.7L engine, and it'll run from 0-60 in just under 6 seconds, ridiculous performance and still gets around 25 mpg. And if you'd think that you'd have to give up practicality for sportiness, think again. The Boxster easily has the largest trunk space in it's class, mostly because it has 2 trunks. You can put about 4 good sized suitcases between the two trunks, and I also take it grocery shopping. Have had it for about 3 years, and put 40k miles on it without a single mechanical problem. Only thing to change on it was the tires, ran on factory standards for 73k miles, and brakes. I traded out of a 2004 infiniti g35 coupe. So far the Boxster is faster, more reliable, more fuel efficient, cooler, amazingly less expensive(cost much less in fuel, priced $8000 less than the G). Nothing beats that rush of outrunning the rednecks in their supe'd up mustangs and camaros. It'll also get 20mpg at 100 mph all day without any fuss at all. If you want the best valued sports car around, look no further!!!

Love the boxter

by big boxter fan from Bucks County, PA on Sat Dec 04 2010

we purchased a red 2002 and have had it for a few months. We drive it only on sunny days and always with a big smile. the 5 speed transmission shifts with great smoothness and the engine pulls nicely in all gears. For us, the smaller engine is super as I prefer the joy of driving to super power (I am getting older). Ours has a removable aluminum top that we can now get on and off easily - it did take some learning at first however. The car handles curves so well, and is just as sweet on the highway. We have every intention of keeping the car for a long time and baby it with a car cover and a carport, we even have a ceramic mouse deterrent under the car at all times. And the trunks! yes the two are big enough for a few small things - we went to a game at U. Penn and packed a tailgate in front and back. it worked fine, I have not tried to put a suitcase in it yet. guess I will need to pack lightly. the odd part of the car is of course that you can not see the engine - no neat polished rows of valve covers, no polished throats of weber carbs as in my cars of old, one must take it on faith that there is an engine and that it will increase your heart rate to get it moving. do watch the speedometer however as at the standard highway speed limit the needle is still barely moving off of zero. In short, we LOVE it.

Great sports car

by Sports car enthusiast from Mandeville, louisiana on Sat Mar 23 2013

I bought a 2002 boxster with 33,000 miles and in excellent condition. It is fast and fun to drive. Most people believe I spent a fortune but got it for less than 16k. My wife and I love this gem of a car.

Drive a Boxster and You Will Be Smiling

by Porsche Owner Now from Austin, TX on Thu Feb 07 2013

I bought a 2002 Porsche Boxster with 48k miles on it. The car was clean and priced well so I had to look at it. I was not in the market for a Boxster but after driving it I had to have it. The car was a certified used car and I was able to get a factory warranty from Porsche for around $1k a year for 3 years. I was interested in a newer corvette or a new Camaro but then I found this gem. I have a classic 1978 Corvette and was thinking of adding another. The car was at a local dealer that was on my way home and I couldn't believe that a 2002 still looked better than a 2011 Camaro SS sitting right next to it. I am 6'3 and can fit so the car is roomy enough for a sport car. I took it out for the night from the dealer since they were about to close and had it all Day Sunday before gonig back. The car just feels good when you drive it. It handles like it is on rails, yes I have heard this before but never said it about a vehicle, and the take off is great. What really impressed me is that I took it up to 103 and it didn't take any effort at all. Having the top down and enjoying a nice day made this car even better. I drove a newer one about two years ago and have always thought of getting one, but the price was always more then I want to spend. The only reason I could see negative reviews on the car is that people didn't do their homework. Check the caps for a mayo covering if so walk away. Try to find one without high mileage and make sure it is certified. Get the warranty incase anything goes wrong from your local Porsche dealership. A new engine is over $10k and a tranmission is $3k. Good -Comfortable for the type of car. -Outstanding performance. -Still is as sharp as the day it came out. - Convertible. Bad -Can be expensive if you don't know cars and it breaks down. -Accessories are expensive. Overall buy this car!!!!!

Great car , fun to drive

by Having fun from Arden, NC on Wed Dec 22 2010

Just got this car a couple months ago and love it. It is fun to drive and corners like its on rails. I put the top down every chance I get and just go. I traded my Harly for this and have no regrets.

Best Handling Sports Car Ever

by Porsche Fan from Chicago on Thu Jun 08 2006

With race proven superior mid-engine design, the handling of this Boxster S is second to none. It takes corners like it is glued to the pavement. S model is far more powerful than base boxster. Smooth, powerful acceleration and the world's most powerful brakes will stop this beauty on a dime. For the experience of a lifetime, you have to drive this magnificnet machine to believe it.

It doesn't get any better!

by aaron from Pasadena, CA on Thu Jun 15 2006

I've tried almost all the sporty convertables and this Porsche is by far the best. The Boxster S does everything well. It looks great, sounds great, handles great, and is a pure joy to drive. Even without PSM the car corners well. You have to hit the gas in a corner to break the tail loose. Sticks corners like rails. Responsive and fun. Best to buy one used with a Porsche Certified Warranty.

The best cornering car built!

by Fureyus from Los Angeles, CA on Tue Aug 29 2006

Hands down, NOTHING beats a Porsche in fit, finish, and feel. The Boxster S will out perform a Carrera in the slaloms. If you like the balance of a mid-engine sports car, this is it!

Perfect car for sunny California

by Oski on Tue Jun 19 2018

Well built convertible with just enough accessories to make the ride comfortable and fun, e.g. cruise control, tiptronic transmission, heated leather seats, etc. Handles really well thanks to a true mid-engine design

geat car

by Caune 1 from on Thu Jun 19 2014

Just bought 2002 with 40k miles for just over $12k. delighted with the car. I've never driven a better handeling car and I'm on my 7th BMW. Top goes up and down effortlessly. I can't speak to reliability issues as I've not had it long enough. Love the car, recommend you get one. It's a blast to drive.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2002 Porsche Boxster

Porsches are conceived as driver's machines. They are twisty-road dance partners, not to mention fashion statements extraordinaire. Few other cars have such a recognizable shape and sound.

The entry-level Boxster is one of the most livable sports cars around. Starting at $42,600, it has the style and performance of the more expensive models, yet it is as livable as a family sedan. It feels as much at home in the grocery parking lot as it does blazing down the highway. Point it toward a track and you can almost feel it smile. Competitors include the Corvette and Honda S2000.

The Boxster first hit the road as a 1998. In the last couple of years it has been given a shot of adrenaline, in the form... Read More