2004 Cayenne

3.9 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
3.8 out of 5 starsReliability

2004 V6 Cayenne

by Car Nut from Falmouth, MA on March 13, 2014

A very solid safe reliable German SUV. The V6 is more fuel efficient than the V8 but lacks the engine performance. Nonetheless, the V6 is perfectly adequate for the vast majority of SUV drivers and I have never had a problem accelerating and passing with ease. I have maintained my Cayenne religiously every 7500 miles using synthetic oil and rotating the tires. Try to find a high end independent car mechanic and avoid the Porsche dealers like the plague as the parts and labor will kill you. But they are no worse than VW, Volvo or Audi. At just over 10 years (other than replacing pads and rotors in the normal course) - I have only had only two problems. I had to replace all the engine coils at around 63k. The coils were only about $55 a piece so not too bad. Then the rear hatch would not stay up in cold weather unless you held it up with a hand ( a common issue for all SUV's) - its an easy fix. The best thing about the 2004 Cayenne is its handling in the snow. Its nearly flawless. I have had other SUV's and they were not nearly as stable.

Turbo fun, SUV convenience

by lottofst1 from Richmond, VA on December 29, 2010

This truck is so much fun. It does things that SUV's shouldn't be able to do. Fast, fun, worst gas mileage I've ever had.

2004 Porsche Cayenne Turbo

by Porsche 955 from Covina, CA. on December 7, 2016

My Cayenne, at 143k, needed $5,500 worth of neglected maintenance. The above sum was deeply discounted, and could not ignored. Oil and water leaks, rear coolant tubes, drive belt, lower suspension arms, tie rods, tires, drain turbos, engine/transmission mounts... After the work, this s.u.v. is all fun. You need to own a gas station to drive this thing, though.

Porsche the best autos for your money!

by AlexDual-Teq from el paso, texas on May 30, 2017

Simply the best, it has being my baby for four years now and I'm not planning to let go. Looking forward to buy a newer version I just love it.!

Porsche Cayenne S

by Enthusiast from New York, NY on December 13, 2011

Very Good vehicle? worth every penny paid for. I have owned a few different model Porsches but this is my first SUV ever. I am pleased with the handling verse the power output, space and comfort. Terrible gas mileage but then what would you expect if you have a heavy foot? I was reluctant in purchasing new due to being a diehard 911 enthusiast so I purchased it used with extremely low mileage. Very reliable; a few negative take always regarding electrical gremlins. Not too crazy about the flat spot on the throttle though due to the drive by wire system. Every now and again I get a rear glass hatch open warning. I have searched high and low for a bad contact or ground; have even taken it to the dealer and the cause is still a mystery. It has proven to be a very versatile vehicle that can take some punishment if need be. Over all I am very pleased with the ending result and more so impressed with the capabilities in which it can perform.

worth every penny

by porsche gal from Denver, Colorado on April 10, 2014

We bought used both 2004 Cayenne S and Cayenne (V6) (his and hers, have had both for 4 yeas). Have never had a problem with either and both have 95k miles. Best vehicles we have ever owned. The Cayenne Base (V6) averages 20-21 miles per gallon and the S averages 18-19 miles per gallon.

2004 Cayenne S

by V from Indy on March 9, 2011

I have an '04 with over 120,000 miles on it. It is the best SUV I have ever driven for comfort and ride. The only major repair so far has been the water pump. The driver seat is second to none in comfort. I am a bit biased perhaps as my other car is a 911 Carerra.

Ridiculously Fast

by Chris from Cincinnati, OH. on February 24, 2015

A very fast and comfortable SUV. I bought the Turbo version, and later found out that it had a prohibitively expensive upgraded engine/turbo/intake/injector/exhaust system already installed on it, supposedly making 650hp+ on pump gas. I love surprising Corvettes, GT Mustangs, and SS Camaros. Handles great for having so much weight behind it, and the brakes are amazing. A few minor electrical issues have come up (that were not present during warmer weather), but I can live with that until it warms up again. Service is, as you might expect, pretty pricey from the dealer. The car I bought already had most of the upgrades completed (coolant pipes, coil packs, etc.), so you need to watch this on these cars. As long as gas prices stay reasonable, I will keep this one for a long time!

Wife's winter car

by Ira. from South Dakota on August 29, 2011

I have read the reviews of others and being a 2004 Cayenne owner I would like to say what I have experienced. I have just went over 100K and have not had a problem. I do the maintenance myself (oil and tune-ups) I have always used mobile 1 oil 9 Qts. When I looked at getting my wife a car that she can drive in the winter I looked at several 4x4 vehicles and with the resale value holding well I chose the Cayenne. It has power that I have tried and in turns it can run like a sports car but it is a 5,000 lb car. I haven't used it for a drag/sports car just a car. It is comfortable and nice to drive the gas is bad but if your worried about that don't buy a Porsche. I may be just lucky with mine but I think some abuse plays part of some problems.

Home work

by gene from Kingston Wa on July 16, 2012

A very different kind of car than I am used to,being a Ford man. Do your home work before buying one of these, If things are not right it can cost you a lot of money,plastic coolant pipes,drive shafts, starter & tires. Porsche parts are very expensive never mind the labor costs. The car is a pure pleasure to drive as you get feed back (feel) of the road. It tracks as if it is on rails and once the tach get above 2000rpm hang on.

1 2 3 4