2001 9-5

$95 - $5,663  MSRP Range
2001 Saab 9-5

4.2

4 out of 5 stars Interior Design

Have You Driven the 2001 Saab 9-5?

After 8 years and still great!

by old saab 9 from MECHANICSBURG PA on Sat Aug 01 2009

I have had every model since 66. The 95 is outstanding and still in most ways still contemporary. Safe, fast,great mileage and great handling in a unique and comfortable package. Some recalls and a few other repairs have been needed. The car is easy to work on. Many parts are available on line. I have driven it past 100K and expect at least 200k. My 91 9000 made it to 299.7K before a wreck!

I love it! Never wanna let it go!

by Saabulance from Portland, OR on Wed Oct 27 2010

It's almost 10 years old now, and it's STILL sexier than all the other cars on the block. I love the exterior style so much, I can't get enough. I have 110,000 on it right now, and my mechanic and I are fully expected over 300,000 of life, hopefully half a million. The most important part of this car is the great partnership that I have with my mechanic at Atomic Auto here in Portland, Oregon. He cannot be beat. Eminently fair and efficient. Most work I have done has been maintenance related. The 4 cylinder turbo is a perfect combo, and the car can really get up and go. It's so fun to drive. Like any older car, the fuel efficiency is ok, and pretty good when you drive it like a good citizen. Cons: Compared to newer cars, the interior is a bit loud, partially due to my leather interior. The sunroof sometimes leaks, about a tablespoon of water on serious monsoon days. But for a 24 year old with limited employment, this is something I can handle happily. I plan on keeping this car as long as it lives, and I think it's going to be around a while. I rated 4 stars on comfort because sometimes my lower spine hurts in the driver seat over prolonged driving. I've added a little pad for those times. We paid $15000 for this car in 2004, and it's been the best car my family has bought so far in terms of reliability (they've had a Lexus, Cadillacs, Mercedes, Pontiacs, Dodges, Jeeps...big family). But always have a backup key because if you lose that main one, you're in about $1000+ worth of trouble. Spare keys are around $50. Please note: It is more environmentally responsible to keep and maintain the car you have (if it is safe and working), even if it doesn't get a fancy 30+ mpg all the time, than to go buy a new hybrid or other car. My mechanic stresses this greatly. The other best part of the car is how solid and safe it is.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

2001 Saab 9-5 Wagon

by LoveMySaab2001 from on Fri May 04 2012

Hey Readers, I purchased 2001 Saab 9-5 Wagon, 4-cyl turbo, exactly 2 years ago. About 75,000 miles on it, with ONE accident history; vehicle was repaired at a Saab dealership. I was amazed to see A/C ventilation front seats. Didn't know cars this old had such options available. Front seats have 'heated-seats' as well. JD Power gave it a 5-star, and I couldn't agree more w/ them on the subject. Reliability is simply awesome. I have 116,000 miles on it now, and I have no doubt I'll hit 200,000 w/ this car. I send about $500/yr on maintenance, which includes tune-ups and synthetic oil change. Tires are separate. This car's been superb on cost, thanks to its dependablity. Car's main purpose is to be a family-car, and it does everything I ask. Gas MPG is great; I get about 25mpg, combined c/h. Back seats get powerful and satisfying A/C. Very comfortable ride for all passengers. Roomy cargo space. Best car I've ever drove in snow! I really appreciate the outer look, especially the front. Doesn't look like a 2001 model. Interior can be much better. Overall, for a family-car, I was very lucky to have purchased this vehicle. If you are in the market, and worried about Saab's current situation and unavailable recall repairs, do not worry too much. 2001 9-5 is a very well-built car. It won't hurt your pocket. Just make sure to check its history before buying one.

a great car for a ridiculously depreciated price

by Smoop from Seattle on Sun Oct 05 2008

These cars come well equipped and in terms of all around passenger comfort are very tough to beat. Interior space, especially in the back is plain exceptional. I don't care for the Wood grain dash accent but its a small gripe. I am pulling 28mpg average with a v6 model with some 80% of my driving done on the highway. Acceleration is good throughout the range but is unmatched from 40mph to 90mph. Not many cars can keep pace. The show Top Gear has said this car will out run a porsche 911 through the range of 40-75mph and I believe it. I have dusted too many bmws and benzs to have doubts. Maintenance costs are doubled on the v6 compared to the 4 cylinders in a lot of cases so keep that in mind if you are in the market.

Best All Around Car Ever.

by Mattlach from Boston, MA on Tue Apr 03 2007

This is it. I have yet to drive a car as perfectly suited to me as my 9-5 Aero. I am currently renting a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix while my Saab is being worked on after being rear ended, and I CAN'T WAIT to get my car back. Where the GP feels cumbersome and heavy, the Saab feels light, perky and eager to go. Where the GP feels cramped, and uncomfortable, the Saab fits my 6'3" stature with comfort, and has some of the most comfortable seats for long rides in the industry (possibly only rivaled by Volvo Seats) The car has plenty of power when you floor it, but also fuel efficiency when you don't. Don't believe the EPA rating. When set in cruise control at 65mph on the highway, this car gets 35mpg. The car is also an amazing drive in the snow. I recently drove up a hill 4x4 SUV's couldn't manage getting up. Some cars are faster, some handle better, some are bigger, some more fuel efficient. This car is near the top in every category, and the best all around car I have ever owned. Reliability is "only average". Not terrible but could be better. This is the only blemish on the record of an otherwise utterly fantastic vehicle. Just stay away from the V6. it's nothing but trouble. The I4 Aero is faster and much more reliable.

Glad I bought

by Happy from Memphis on Tue Jun 05 2012

I looked and researched for several month before buying my SAAB. I've had the car about three months now and i'm more impressed than ever. I was lucky and found one that was locally owned and serviced. It was also driven less than 10 thousand miles a year. The car looks good and has exceptional power. Also, the SAAB dealership here has been outstanding.

Good car for the dollar

by bahguy from boston on Wed May 16 2007

Bought my Saab 9-5 used. I have put 50K on since(85K total) with no real issues. Fun car to drive and priced better than others in same category.

Major issues, major repair cost on 2000 9-5 Aero

by Peter from Denver CO on Sun Sep 03 2006

Think twice before you purchase this car! How about a $1500 repair on a timing cover oil leak, which is apparently a "known" and "common" problem on these cars. Get ready to fork out some serious cash! Fun to drive, but the fun's gone when it's in the shop all the time.

Does not recommend this car!!

'01 9-5 SE is an excellent vehicle overall

by Saab driver from Newport News on Wed Jun 28 2006

I got an unbelievable deal on a '01 9-5 SE and I LOVE this car. It really flies when you need it to, and talk about loaded with features... I've been getting 19.6 city / 30.1 highway... which I was amazed with since my research said 19/26 mpg. The only complaint I have about this car is the lack of cupholders up front. Mine didn't come with the center console one and the tuck-away one sucks. It rattles if it's tucked in, but I'm going to fix that with some weather stripping. Other than the lack of cup holders I love this car.

This car is amazing for the money.

by Marshal from Colorado Springs, CO. on Wed Aug 30 2006

I have never owned a car with so many features. It's a blast to take a road trip with. I got 44 miles to the gallon when I drove from Colorado to MN. Very safe car and so comfortable. You'll love it!

1 2

Our Take on the 2001 Saab 9-5

At one time, calling a station wagon beautiful or sporting was a humorous non sequitur. More likely, such words as boxy or awkward came to mind.

No more. Premium automakers from Europe have been transforming stations wagons from the necessary craft of harried parents into something more attuned to stylish touring.

The Euro wagons have become quick, classy and sporty, almost something of an art form. Even utilitarian Volvo wagons are now attractively svelte.

The Saab 9-5 wagon is another fine example that combines practical space utilization with innovative features and exceptional driving characteristics. Unveiled in 1999, it's designed for those who want roominess and flexibility, but who... Read More