2004 Ion

2004 Saturn Ion

$710 - $5,878  MSRP Range
2004 Saturn Ion

3.9

Have you driven the 2004 Saturn Ion?

Reliable

by Saturn Owner from KS on Wed Apr 06 2011

Great Car! Have owned for 3 years now with no major issues. Get's great gas mileage and is stylish! Handles well, great safety reviews and features. Tons of trunk space!

2004 Saturn Ion3

by DickJNY from Elmira NY on Sun Aug 18 2013

- Bought this car used with over 100K miles on it, for 2 hour commute expecting great gas milage with the 5 speed automatic. It was also fun to drive with good suspension and seemed to always be in the right gear. Last half of my commute to work was expressway at 85 MPH+ (lots of fun). When that job was over I had 2 compact cars and sold this one because I could get more for it. New owner had the timing belt break. No damage just replaced it and was on his way. - Great car and fun to drive.

love my car

by stephnmills from anderson sc on Sun Apr 28 2013

this is the best car i have ever own love it... never had a problem with this car like others... it is amazing on gas mine gets around 29 in city and 32 on highway...

Saturn. It's out of this world.

by ionRL_585 from Rochester, NY on Fri Jul 02 2010

Well it's been 2 years since I've owned my 2004 Saturn Ion. I purchased this car used with about 54k or so on her for a reasonable price but I have the Redline model which is the sport model. It is equiped with a 2.0 Ecotec motor which is used in almost all the newer GM line up and is supercharged with a 5 speed manual transmission. It is mechanically the same car as the supercharged chevy cobalt ss except for a couple minor things. Now for the nitty gritty. The car is not your average saturn which you can tell from its aerodynamic contours, recaro racing seats, and of course the eaton m62 supercharger, and many other cool things. If you are in to performance then this is a car with alot of potential. GM offers "stage" kits ranging from Stage 1 to 3. The first stage is upgraded injectors and a recalibration on the tune, the second stage consist of a drop in the pulley size which in turn makes more boost making more hp, and stage 3 is a new ecu with many differnt features to truly unleash the beast. A funny thing is after researching the saturn ion redline is that not only is it the same car as the chevy cobalt ss, it actually is the same as the 03+ saab 93 except for the form of forced induction (The Ion is supercharged and the saab 93 is turbo and after doing my schoolwork with a little tweeking here and there you can also convert the LSJ (ion redline/cobalt SS motor) to a turbo using the LK9 (saab 93 motor) and actually be making more power yet staying efficient and saving gas, even so you can open your car up with a tuning software called "HP Tuners" and get your car to run on ethanol which is amazing at making power and its also a heck lot cheaper than regular pump gas. Basically this car is an amazing platform. On top of being a very great performance car it also has the basic options on top of other comfort options. Power windows, quad coupe [suicide doors], sunroof, etc. They offered this car with the competition package which added LSD along with visual mods. This has been a great car to me but I am not going to lie i have put alot of time and money into my car. It has a newer motor put in it from modding and racing it so i blew the old one since i had no supporting mods. Then when the new motor was put in the starter died, and now the intercooler pump on my car has just hit the bed, but overall she has been dependable if you just drive it and dont drive it hard all the time. Totally worth buying and I recommend anyone who is looking into one to not let it get past you.

Hand's down the best car I've ever owned!

by SaturnSusan from Broken Arrow on Wed Apr 04 2018

The most reliable and low maitenance. I've owned mine for 14 years and wish the plant were still around because I would definitely buy another one!

2nd Saturn I have owned

by Meme018 from Northern VA on Fri Jul 06 2007

I owned a Saturn SC2 prior to this car, and I LOVED it. Hands down best car I have ever owned. So when I decided to start a family I picked the Ion, because it was a little sportier than the L series ( and my parents drive an L series so I wanted something different.) The interior is put together very poorly. I too hear strange rattles and the fabric does stain very easily. The interior looks awful and I almost never drink or eat in my car. The windows also leak. This makes me not want to own another Saturn. The gas mileage is so-so

Does not recommend this car!!

Love this car

by twotall from Tempe, Az on Tue May 05 2009

I have had a saturn ion1 since june of 2007 and havent had many problems with it, the biggest problem was the air conditioning pump going out. This, i think, was caused by the previous owner not changing the cabin air filter and it froze up the a/c system. the other problem i had was the ignition went bad, this is common for this car and the replaced ignition is bad already. nothing huge though, handles relatively well and the tires, if you dont have the alloy rims, are really cheap about $300 four all four 70k mile tires mounted and balanced.

My 2004 Saturn Ion 5-speed is the best car I've ev

by Lady Hunter from Avon Park Florida on Thu Nov 09 2017

My 2004 Saturn Ion 5-speed, that I still own today, has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. I've never had any mechanical issues except for me having to change the thermostat on it. Other than keeping the oil changed on a regular basis, my Saturn Ion has been awesome on reliability. The inside of the car had more room than I expected. Our family fits in my Saturn Ion perfectly with room left. Plus I love the way the dashboard is set up. While driving I don't have to move my hands out of the way to see how fast I'm going, or to look at the other gauges. All I have to do is look to My right a little an I can see everything. I also love how the dash changes color as it gets dark. I also found out looks can be deceiving. To look at my Saturn Ion on the outside it looks like it wouldn't that much room inside, but like I said before, our family can fit comfortably inside with room to spare. My Saturn Ion has exactly 163,835 miles on it, an it still drives like it did the day I got it. I've never had a more reliable car than my Saturn Ion. I put a Hum in my Saturn Ion, so that way I could answer my phone through the Bluetooth, so I can keep my hands on the steering wheel. The OBD reader part of the Hum connects to the OBD port of course. It tells me everything going on with my Saturn Ion. Let's me know if anything mechanical is going on with the engine, including if sensors are going bad. It also lets you know how many miles per gallon of gas the car gets. We found out that my Saturn Ion gets between 40 & 42 mpg. I also found out it depends on who driving the car. My husband used it one week to go to work or town, and when we'd check the driving history, that shows how many miles you went, an also how fast you were driving. The lowest mpg my car got was 38 mpg. That's another reason I love having a 5-speed. My Saturn Ion has out performed itself. I never thought I'd ever find a car I would really like, until I got my Saturn Ion 5-speed. I wouldn't trade it for anything, except maybe a newer model that's just like my Saturn Ion 5-speed I have now. Otherwise I'll keep taking care of my baby so it will last me forever. Thanks for your time. Angela Smith

04 Saturn Ion is a value buy

by Readerx20 from Pottstown, PA on Tue Jul 04 2017

I bought a Saturn Ion as my fist car a couple years ago. The purchase turned out to be well worth my while. The car was fun to drive with nice handles and good gas mileage.

My last Saturn

by A from Hattiesburg, MS on Tue Jan 06 2009

My family had owned six Saturns before the Ions came out. My 1994 SL1 had 180000 miles on it and was a great car. The Ion however is not so great. The transmission has always had a problem with lunging forward (upshifting) and backwards (downshifting) between 2nd and 3rd gear. THE HEADLIGHTS ARE HORRIBLE!! They are way too dim for driving in the country. It was taken in twice before it had 10000 on it due to suspension issues. The rubber seal below the passenger rear window has shrunk and buckled, allowing water to get inside the door. I hope it makes it to 100000!! We also own a 2008 Honda Civic and we love it!!!

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2004 Saturn Ion

Hot rod Saturn wins over brand skeptics on News panel

MILFORD -- Steve Varady always thought of Saturn as a "brand aimed at moms."

But after spending an evening behind the wheel of the 2004 Ion Red Line, Saturn's first supercharged performance vehicle, the Dearborn resident has new respect for the General Motors Corp. brand that's long been a favorite of sensible people looking for affordable vehicles with no-dicker stickers.

"The seats are awesome, the supercharger is great, the tires are sticky and I love the sound of the engine," said Varady, 17, a member of the Detroit News Consumer Youth Panel, who this fall will be a freshman at Chicago's Loyola University. "I only now realize I... Read More