2006 Ion

2006 Saturn Ion

4.1

4 out of 5 stars Interior Design
4 out of 5 stars Reliability

Have you driven the 2006 Saturn Ion?

Surprisingly Awesome Car

by Glennwood from New Jersey on Fri Oct 21 2011

I bought this car after a really traumatic accident, which left us thankfully ok, but sadly killed my beloved custom v6 Dodge. After a shock like that I decided safety was my top concern, and I found my Saturn Ion which admittedly was a big change for me. I was a 6 cyl girl and this little car seemed like a one way ticket to the realm of boring soccer mom. I was wrong! I was happily surprised how much pick up he has and how well he handles. Gas mileage is excellent, durable interior and exterior that stand up to a 9 year old AND a toddler's car abuse, huge trunk, comfortable seats which are totally adjustable so even my dad and brother who are well over 6ft can drive comfortably. Radio/cd/sound is great, plus theres an aux jack for ipods. The layout of the car took a few days to get used to, but overall I feel it keeps your eyes more focused on the road. The center console is a bit small, but there are plenty of other places to stash napkins and stuff, so it makes up for it. Huge pocket behind front passenger for extra storage. Plus its a great looking car, not boxy or bubbly, nice and streamlined. Most importantly, he is a reliable car and I feel safe. Excellent value and a gem of a car!!!

saturn ion 2006 "A GREAT CAR"

by SATURN FAMILY from princeton ma on Thu Jul 01 2010

i have been driving my daughters 2006 saturn ion for 6 months. it's a great car!! i find it very comfortable, it handles well and the gas mileage is awesome. this is the fourth saturn that our family has owned. it's a great car and very reliable.

No problems whatsoever

by Mark from Atlanta, GA on Sat Jun 20 2009

I've had my Saturn for five years and have put on 80,000 miles in hard city driving. The car has required nothing beyond oil changes, front brakes, and a set of tires. That's it. The paint quality is outstanding. Fit and finish are good, and the ride is smooth, provided you buy quality tires and rebalance them occasionally. Ions came with electric steering, which reduces noise and allows the car to vary the steering response depending on vehicle speed. They also have drive-by-wire throttle control, providing snappy engine response. My Ion is the RedLine version, which comes with an Eaton supercharger, intercooler, and a heavy duty five speed transmission. The car puts down 205hp yet weighs 2800lbs thanks to the aluminum block and transmission case. You can't find a car this fast for the money. Overall I'd highly recommend it.

Great car

by Love my redline from Rochester, NY on Tue Oct 11 2011

I've had my Saturn Ion Redline for 6 months and I absolutely love it. It's a great little sports car. It has a few modifications and it's supercharged, so it really gets up and goes for a 4cyl car. I haven't had any issues with it, only thing is I need to warm it up a bit on cooler days or she hesitates a little. Other than that it's perfect.

Bob

by Bob from PHX on Wed Jul 05 2006

I've had this ION for three years and have experienced no problems. It's a five speed with enough get up and go to be fun, but it is still affordable. I enjoy drivinig it. It also looks as good as cars costing twice as much!

Long-Lasting, Comfortable Car

by SaturnIonFan from Weschester County, NY on Sat Nov 11 2017

I currently have 120,000 miles on my 2006 Saturn and it still runs like a clock. It is the right size for easy parking, gets 30 MPG, and has enough performance for my needs. The body rear quarter panels are made of fiberglass. I was once bumped hard on the NJ Turnpike by an impaired driver at high speed. The panel caved in and then bounced out again. All I had to do was wipe off the offending car's paint! The car looks as good now as it did when new. I always follow manufacturer's maintenance schedule. Only major work: The transmission rebuilt at 100,000. I wish they were still making Saturns with the these plastic panels.

Good car

by NT from Loveland on Thu Mar 29 2018

The Saturn had a good car. It was reliable and needed few repairs throughout the years. I would say Saturn's are great cars. I had this car for about ten years and it was a great car to own.

Amazing first car

by Geehad from Whapeton, ND on Mon Oct 21 2013

I've had my Saturn ion 2 for over 2 years now, never had a single problem with it what so ever! The handling was unbelievable, even at higher speeds, the acceleration performance on my manual is really good! Overall i would defiantly recommend this vehicle for anyone who's looking for great gas millage and performance for a good price.

Its been good to me.

by Ozvalen59 from Denver on Tue Apr 17 2018

Im very happy with the quality of the car. The engine has 11500k miles and the oil still looks like honey. I have used synthetic oil from the start. Ive maintained it to schedule for the most part. I had to replace the ignition once and im going to have another replacement soon. That seems to be an inherent problem with ions. The car serves me well and i hope it will last me 10 more years.

Great First Car

by LilBambinos from Erie, PA on Wed Apr 18 2018

We bought this vehicle for my daughter when she obtained her driver's license! It is a beast! This was the worst weather on record for us, and she had no problems getting around.

1 2 3 4 5

Our Take on the 2006 Saturn Ion

I have to admit I'm spoiled by the test cars that I drive on behalf of Mother Proof; so spoiled in fact, that when I get into the Saturn Ion-3, I am kind of disappointed. Where is my sunroof? Where are the dual-zone climate control and heated seats?

Then I have a reality check. I have been driving some cars that are priced in the $30,000-plus range, and I better change this rotten attitude! So I start over with a new perspective. The Saturn Ion-3 is priced starting around $14,000, so I prep myself to give this underdog a go.

The Ion has lots of features. The problem is that all of them are so oddly engineered that I just wind up hating them. It attempts to make up for lacking certain things by tweaking... Read More