2001 L

2001 Saturn L

2001 Saturn L

4.1

4 out of 5 stars Value for the Money

Have you driven the 2001 Saturn L?

Exceeded Expectations

by Silver Saturn from New Mexico on Wed Mar 25 2009

I bought the car new in 2001 and thought I would only keep it for 5 years. I also never planned to buy an American car. The car has exceeded my expectations and been very reliable. It started needing repairs in the fall of 2008: -water pump -fuel pump -heater core -axle shaft The car now has 134,000 miles. I was hoping it would make it to 200K but now I'm not so sure. I am happy to so far have 3 more years out of the car than I originally thought. I plan on keeping it through the rest of this year.

2001 Saturn 200L- nAERLY 200k Mile and still going

by Sir Lawrence from Wesley Chapel, FL on Sat Aug 28 2010

Ha, I bought this car used at 36k miles.. I have nearly 200k miles on this babe. Yes, I had to change front and rear brakes,rotors,tune ups, and a/c compressor and catalystic converter. She has been been very reliable. Just keep up with the oil changes and maintenance as schedule. Its easy to work on to say the least. the engine compartment is very spacious to work and not cluttered with stuff. I am really happy with its performance, cause its not a sport car.... with the car . Its not the greatest looking car , but reliable.

Worth Every Penny! A Fabulous Awesome Car!

by Saturn Fan! from California on Thu Mar 31 2011

This is my third Saturn, an L300 2001. I love the car. The repairs over the years have been minimal, and maintenance has been easy. I have had no major mechanical problems either. I would buy another Saturn for sure. I think it is a fabulous company. Too bad no one bought them. Now they are not making any new cars. Clearly a reliable and well made American vehicle.

ONE OF THE BEST CARS I'V HAD

by THE DON from OLEAN, NEW YORK on Thu Nov 15 2012

IN VERY GOOD SHAPE, IT HANDLES WELL, GOOD ON GAS, VERY SAFE CAR TO OWN, KEPT THIS CAR UP AS BEST I COULD, NEVER HAD ANY BREAK DOWNS WITH THIS CAR, GOOD CAR TO DRIVE IN THE WINTER

Best car I ever owned!!!

by alk from Atlanta on Mon Mar 22 2010

I bought it used 2 and a half years ago. It had 76,000 miles on it. I love this car! The seats are less than comfortable on a long trip, but more comfortable than most out there. The power the engine puts out just flat out snaps my neck. Of course I mean the V6. I researched that after I bought it. Turns out the Saab used the same V6. Sure, I've had issues with my car. I've had a rogue short in my lighting system... either the driver side fog light or driver side tailight takes turns blowing. I've had just a few repairs done, though all have been major expenses. It started with a blown MAF, shredded timing belt, and most recently the oil cooler went out, spewing oil on the pavement faster than I could put it back in. The a/c went out last summer too. But it's now almost 10 years old, with 130,000 miles on it. It's going to have issues at this age/mileage. But other than that, I plan on driving the car til it just won't drive any more. It's been relaible other than that, because it's never left me on the side of the road!

Such a great car.

by D - NJ from on Wed Jul 29 2009

This was my first car, obviously i have another car now (Nissan Cube) and i loved it. So reliable and i would recommend this to so many people looking for a bargain. Saturn, you have out done yourself.

Great car after the recall repairs

by Saturn L200 owner from Orlando, Florida on Sun Jul 20 2008

When I bought the Saturn 2001, L200 in 2003, with 16000 miles on it, the car drove great however it started to accelerate slow however after taking it to the dealership I found out about the recalls and I had many repair done at no cost. After the repairs the Saturn L200 preformed great, I now have 70,000 on it. The reason for my review is to allow owners to check for recalls. The car was a lease, used.

Look out for used models

by coachgeorge from VA on Fri Mar 23 2007

I loved everything about this car until it hit 70k miles. I have now discoverd the history of what goes wrong between 70k and 80k: 1-Body Control Moduel-BCM computer 2-Water pump leaks 3-Something called MAF sensor 4-Oil Cooler 5-Timeing belt 6-Solonoid in transmission 7-Thermostat To repair these things costs in excess of $5000.00. More than the car is worth. If buying a 2001 L300, check to see if these things have been replaced. Considering I paid full retail when I purchased it new, I expected better. The car runs great for the expected first owner. Typically people take a 5 year loan and run 60 to 70k in those 5 years, then trade in for a new one. Used car buyer beware.

Does not recommend this car!!

This car is great

by nik from maine on Tue Nov 20 2007

Appart from my volvo this is the niceiest car i have ever owned. It is safe and reliable. The car is smooth compaired to my old chevrolet metro. The contols on the steering weel are great and the leather around the E break and the shifter is lushious. When i baught it every one of of my friends said it was a sexy beast I love this car.

Not What I Expected From Saturn

by Kaoscapt from Brandon, FL on Sat Aug 04 2007

When I acquired the Saturn L100 a year ago from an older sibling who had purchased it new and chosen to replace it with a new Honda, I was very excited. I was hoping that the car would be a fitting replacement for my 1993 Saturn SC2 that I had purchased new in 1992. It's not. The drive train is very underpowered, and the transmission always seems to take too long to shift (both up and down). I really wish it was a manual. At highway speeds, the car vibrates. I've replaced tires and had them balanced, as well as having the alignment checked, yet the vibrations come and go seemingly at will. The interior is extremely spartan. Granted, it wasn't in the best shape when I got it, but nothing I've tried has gotten the carpet or seats clean. The plastic dashboard is cheaply made and utilitarian with absolutely no bells or whistles. The console has no storage at all and is basically a pointless shelf. The seats are hard - very hard. Like sitting on a plastic or wood bench hard. Definitely not good for long trips. The basic CD player/radio that (I think) came standard in the car doesn't play any CD past track 4 without skipping, and at least two of the speakers have blown (keep in mind that this vehicle was never owned or driven by anyone under age 50). One positive note, the A/C works extremely well. Exterior styling is extremely blah. The polymer body panels are holding up well, but the paint is not - it's begun oxidizing in the Florida sun. Unfortunately before I got the vehicle the finish wasn't well cared for, and it shows. In addition, I appear to have the only L series car I've ever seen without the reflector panel on the rear trunk lid which takes away any charm that the rear of the car might have had. There is little I can do to improve the appearance of the car, because there are no commercially available accessories for the car. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. I really had thought that this car would have at least been as good as my older car, yet I could not have been more wrong. I know that this car was a compromise for Saturn, based heavily on the european Opel Vectra. Having had an Opel in the family before (a 1974 Manta) and being an Opel and Vauxhal fan I am doubly disappointed. I'm counting the days until I can replace the car with something more family friendly and comfortable. And I don't think it will be another Saturn.

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2