2012 iQ

4.3 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.7 out of 5 starsReliability

Love my Pacific Blue Scion iQ

by Craftsman from NE Pennsylvania on September 21, 2012

I want to address the bad reviews I have read - Not enough power (It's 1.3 L with CVT ... a Ferrari it ain't; but what it has works fine for me); No glove box (Has a tray under the passenger seat, and I bought a lockable box at the Dollar Store for between the front seats); No center arm rest (if your hands are at 10 & 2, unless you're build like an orangutan, there is no need); Doesn't seat 4 (no duh. What do you expect in a 10 ft long car? - it's a 2 seater on steriods to keep insurance costs low); No trunk room (fold down the rear seats and there's ample room - it's a 2-seater on steroids); Stopping distance is too long (Don't tailgate, fool). Seat headrest is not adjustable (you did not notice this when you bought it? Many cars have this feature, as it is stronger and safer than the adjustable headrests). Bumpy ride (it's a 78 in. wheelbase, only 18 in. longer than my 650cc Suzuki Burgman. What do you expect?) Now for MY complaints - I'm tall, need to sit back - visor is not long enough on the driver's door (I bought a plastic extender - issue fixed). Terrible blind spot on the driver's side (had to tweak my left and center mirrors, but I've got it covered ... look over your left shoulder before changing lanes). There is no cigarette lighter (power port yes, but it doesn't work with a lighter) 8-( Now for my Pro comments. Very comfortable (seating and ride - I have no issues with the acceration, but have not yet taken it out to an area where I can safely test the handling responsiveness), love the default Pioneer sound system (old guy, dropped 3.5 GB music on a $10 USB stick, and I have DAYS of tunes that I can put in my pocket, no need for Satillite radio, CD's etc.), amazing gas milage (with no hybrid battteries to replace, regular gas, unlike the Smart4Two which runs on Premium) combined highway and local getting 37 MPG. A head turning quotient of 9.5 on a 10 scale. I can park 2 of these in my garage, front to back! LOL I can do a 360 in my driveway! It is fun to drive, economical, and looks good.

Best car. EVER.

by Claud from Orange County, NY on July 15, 2013

I've put 2k miles on the car already and I got it at 4k miles certified pre-owned. This car is awesome. plain and simple. Either you love or hate it based on what it looks like from looking at it for the first time. but don't be so judgmental. It's WAY bigger on the inside than it looks, so don't judge it just yet when you first see it. Secondly, this car gives me 41 MPG on average when driven using the eco. I live in a very mountainous area and the car has the power to accelerate over a huge hill/mountain. I was pleasantly surprised to see how the engine actually has power to it. Now, its no mustang, but I used to own a Hyundai Accent and it accelerates better than my old car.... and it has way better fuel economy. I commute 140 miles a day. I really think this is the BEST option for a car if you want a one that comes very close to hybrid fuel economy, without the price and expensive maintenance. Note: the car fits 3 people kind of comfortably, but its really meant for two. My dog rides in the back very comfortably :]

Great!

by Eddy from Georgia on March 30, 2012

I am a 37 Year old man 6'2" tall and weigh 235 lb. You would not think this car would suit me, but you would be wrong! I bought this car for work, I drive mostly in town and wanted some thing that got good gas mileage and was easy to park. This fit the bill for me exactly. I looked at many new cars before I chose this one. At first, I thought it would just be too small after driving my Lexus ES300 for years. But was amazed at just how roomy it really is! Very easy to get in and out of and the front seats adjust nicely. Keep in mind that I normally drive alone so I cant not complain about "no room for others". But if you need to haul around more than two adults, look else where. This car is great for a commuter and fits in places no other car can. If you read a bad review on this car, Stop and look at what they are complaining about. You will quickly see that they bought the car for the wrong reason and should have just bought something else! Always drive every car in the class you can before buying. Don't write bad reviews to cover your own mistakes :)

Seat Four

by Lessismore from on September 5, 2012

This car will seat four but it is a compromise. I am six two and can sit behind myself on the passenger side but not the drivers side, In that area a child would fit. When there are only two in the car and the seats are back there is more room than any car I can mention. A big plus is the width which is wider than any other small car and this provides plenty of elbo room. if you regularly carry four this is not the car to buy unless all are small. Its a short very maneuverable fun to drive, practical and economical highly individual car for nipping about but still capable of making long journey's. Those new owners complaining about passenger space or an uncomfortable seat show a lack of judgement when choosing the car.If I were to change anything it would be the highly reflective glossy center section of the dash that blinds the driver when the sun hits at a certain angle. Inexcusable from the interior designer.

It's Bigger On the Inside

by amadcow2 from Columbia, MD on August 8, 2012

I was looking for a good commuter car and settled on the iQ. The four other cars in the running were; Smart For Two, Prius C, Honda Fit, and Golf TDI. The Honda (and I?m a Honda guy) was a little suspect on gas millage, but had many nice features. The Golf TDI was (IMHO) overpriced. That left the Smart For Two and the Prius C. The iQ beats the Smart For Two hands down. Period. The Prius C, however, was a great solution, but in the end it came down to style. A Prius looks like every other Prius on the road, while the iQ is unique. I love the interior of the iQ and it really does feel bigger to drive than it really is. I do wish that there were TDI performance options for air filter and exhaust, but I?ll try to find those on the aftermarket.

My Scion

by RevAl from Anchorage, AK on January 2, 2012

Ordered it in the middle of November, arrived first week of Dec. First one sold in Alaska. Is doing every thing I wanted. I don't fit the young tuner demographic, needed a urban, drive to work, visit my church family, hospital calls etc. Perfect for what I needed. To those of you that have read a marginal review, this one needs about 3 days, not 3 hours, to grow on you. It's not big, fast or a guzzler, it will get you there cheaply and in style. Should change Americas view of micro cars.

I Love my Little Car

by Nugget from Knoxville, TN on February 4, 2014

Everybody loves this car. People ask me about it everywhere i go. People of all sizes have fit in it with me; large and small. I love cruising around in it. I never put more than $23 to fill it up. Only thing i don't like is the gas gauge bars AND IT DOESN'T HAVE CRUSE CONTROL UGHHH! I drove all the way to canada(12 hours) and it would have been nice.

Best Micro Car Available. It's a Toyota!

by Joseph from Oregon on August 27, 2016

My wife and I absolutely love the iQ. We are both 6 feet tall and find it a pleasure to enter and exit it. No more "dropping" into the seat or "climbing" out of it. And once inside, it is surprisingly open, spacious, and very comfortable. The iQ is an ingenious design and purposefully and built vehicle for getting around the city, as well as making shorter trips outside of the city (we know, because we do it quite often with no issues whatsoever). It is a high quality vehicle built by Toyota (quality and reliability). It is a very stable little car both in the city and on the highway. It is a joy to drive due to its' comfortable interior, high/upright seating position, great outward visibility, amazing agility and turning radius. Add to this the ability to park virtually anywhere and 40 mpg (we are averaging 42 mpg) and what more could one ask for in a micro car? Disregard the negative reviews from so-called "professional" automotive reviewers. They just don't "get it". They forget what the purpose of the iQ is all about. Rather . . . you should read all the great reviews by actual owners. This is the only way to get a true assessment of any vehicle--including the iQ. We purchased our 2015 iQ used, with approximately 6,000 miles on it. We love it so much that we purchased a Toyota Factory New Car Extended Warranty (eight years and 100,000 miles platinum warranty) because we intend on keeping it for many years.

Love my iQ

by Pat from Lafayette, NJ on May 26, 2012

My husband and I wanted a Smart car, but my husbands 6'1" and over 250lbs. He test drove a Smart car and had trouble fitting in it and driving it, too small for him. When we saw the iQ parked outside our local Toyota dealer on a Sunday, we stopped and looked at it. We test drove the first iQ the dealer got in. We loved it! It's small but dosen't feel like a small car. The front seats are as roomy as a much larger car. The back seats are small, best for children or pets. We leave the back seats down and put the dogs back there. We wanted the iQ as a "fun" car to drive around town. The price was right and the gas mileage was better than any other car we currently owned. Love the look of the car inside and out. Very "cute". Handles like a sports car, we use super gas and find that we get better pick up. The only improvement we would make to the car would be to the dashboard instrument panel, there is no icon for the headlights when they are on. And no warning sound when you forget and leave the headlights on and exit the car. The Sion iQ is a great addition to our "fleet" of cars, we are car lovers and this car hit our "soft spot".

My iQ

by Cyclerosis from Gerrardstown, WV on May 3, 2017

After returning a Beetle TDI to Volkswagen, I used the monetary award to purchase this car for the perceived fuel economy and am averaging 40 mpg, though often get better. I use it mainly to commute, but it's a capable highway driver as well and is comfortable on longer drives. Because of it's tiny stature, the iQ is incredibly responsive, has a very tight turning radius and with the standard 1.3L engine with less than 100hp, it displays surprisingly good off the line performance, even if highway acceleration lags a bit. The Pioneer sound system sounds very good at lower speeds, but is hampered a little by road noise at highway speeds. Interior quality is very nice and definitely not cheap looking, although, I think Toyota should have offered choices in seating material, instead of just polka dots. I leave the rear seat backs folded down due to the cramped rear space, and while a third passenger could fit fairly comfortably behind the passenger seat, that is not so behind the driver seat. For my daily round trip commute of 40+ miles, this is the right car for me.

1 2 3 4