2020 Subaru Ascent consumer reviews

side view of 2020 Ascent Subaru
Explore the 2020 Subaru Ascent
Shop the 2020 Subaru Ascent
1.7

Poor build quality Subaru compromised with quality

I bought 2021 Subaru ascent and I m disappointed build quality is poor my car seat give noise they try three time to fixed but it’s same they change front router and pads and when I apply for brakes it’s giving noise and they fix three time but it’s still same they said when you drive in traffic it’s give you noise

1.9

Not reliable, really horrible dealer service. Will

I’m working on my third transmission. Not remotely reliable. Had Forester, much better than the Ascent. Will never buy another Subaru. Most expensive least reliable.

Great Quality, styling, reliability, and value.

2020 Subaru Accent met all my needs and dreams. Very smooth, sleek interior, full moon roof, interior exterior lighting is beautiful. Classy luxury SUV able to tow 5k lbs, turbo engine and many safety features .

Super comfortable with many great features

This car is spacious with very comfortable seating and many extra features that make me feel like I am riding in style. It came with a giant sun roof, clear bra, options for navigation and phone apps, choice of car mats (rubber or carpet) and rides so smooth. I love my new Subaru!!

Fantastic Family Car, but frequent gas stations

The amount of safety features on this car is almost too much to count. It’s great that you can turn them on off for when you want to have a little fun without the kids in the car. Plenty of power and love the space. Sad that it only gets 22 average mpg and only has a 17 gallon tank. Biggest complaint is the gas tank size

LOVE my new ride!

I am new to the Subaru family and I really have enjoyed driving the Ascent. Needed an AWD for this area and so far is very reliable. Looking forward to warmer weather so we can travel to other areas.

After one year, this car has operated perfectly

We really like the Eyesight technology which will help us be better drivers as we continue to age. There was absolutely no charge for the one-year maintenance schedule we just had.

Switch from Tahoe to Ascent

3 months and 6000 miles in and I am loving the Ascent Limited. So quiet and comfortable. Love driving it and the safety features are awesome. The lane keeping and adaptive cruise control are really terrific. Getting 40% better gas mileage over my former 2012 Tahoe. Lucky to get 15 in mixed driving with Tahoe, often only 13-14. Ascent has been 21-22. Easily gets 26 in all highway driving when staying around 65-75. 55-65, you’ll get better.

4.1

Very nice, but a couple quirks

This is my first Subaru, and we bought it 6 months ago to use as our family car in lieu of a minivan. My previous vehicle was a Jeep Grand Cherokee which I loved. They are the same price point, but we really wanted the 2nd row captains chairs which wasn't an option on the Jeep. We got the Touring model with all the bells and whistles. And it sure does "whistle" - constantly beeping. Like, a lot. I just don't need that many warnings about my driving. Maybe there's a way to disable, but I haven't gotten that far into looking into it yet. My husband loves the the adaptable cruise control combined with the lane assist which he jokingly refers to as "sandwich mode" because he can eat a meal while driving (we don't actually endorse this behavior...). For the money, I was disappointed that the remote start wasn't included in the key fob. You have to pay extra for that through an App on your phone. And at a mere 16 gallon capacity, we find ourselves needing to refill very frequently considering we don't drive all that much - we're all working from home right now, too (my previous jeep had a 22 gallon tank). Those things aside, the ride is smooth and comfortable, and the interior has good functionality. And LOTS of cupholders.

3.6

More defects than Toyota

I was a longtime Toyota owner, but recently switched to Subaru because of their reputation. Was a mistake. I have experience more defects in the Subaru this year than I have in the last 20 years of Toyota ownership. And, even worse, Subaru's service depart has proven to be inept.