2001 Forester

$929 - $6,005  MSRP Range
2001 Subaru Forester

4.4

4 out of 5 stars Comfort

Have you driven the 2001 Subaru Forester?

My Forester is a True, Reliable Friend

by OTL Himself from Collinsville, VA on Tue Nov 29 2011

I bought my '01 Forester in 2005, and it had 59,000 miles on it. Six years later, it's approaching 172,000 miles and has given me and my family outstanding service. I'm the type of driver who tends to run cars through the wringer, and this one runs as strong as it did when I bought it. It doesn't burn a drop of oil, and hasn't lost any fuel mileage. The only breakdown I ever experienced was due to the clutch failing, and the clutch that had failed was an aftermarket clutch I'd had installed two years prior, after the original clutch had gone for about 130,000 miles. During college, I commuted 40 minutes one-way over winding mountain roads for 2 years. Afterward, I commuted over an hour to work each day for seven months. NOT ONCE did this car let up on me during all of that. I've taken it on countless trips out of town for concerts, camping trips, and sporting events, and it NEVER fails to get the job done. Over the years, my "Silver Tank," as I call it, has become considered a longtime, trusted, valued friend to me.

RELIABLE WORK HORSE WITH FEW PROBLEMS

by Romo from Accord, NY on Wed Jan 16 2008

It starts up, runs great, has few problems. The body hardware is rugged and its a practical car for driving on back country roads especially in the winter. I wish it got better than the 24 mpg and the cup holders seem to have been an add-on afterthought. They are cheap plasic and always spill the coffee. Overall, its a great car.

Like my Forester

by Morgante from Chicago, USA on Thu Oct 23 2008

Pretty solid and reliable ride. We got ours late model used in 2002 and have had no major problems and no time at the shop outside of routine maintenance. I recommend this body style (2002-2008) for it's size: it's not the best looking, but it's smaller scale is able to squeeze into tighter spots when parallel parking in the city. I expect to drive this car into the ground.

Should have kept it

by 3rd Subaru from DC on Tue Nov 26 2013

I test drove this car with 142,000 miles on it. It was a dealer sale and they had just changed out the head gaskets and a rear axle bearing. It looked new inside and out and they only wanted $4500 for it. I banged around in it for several years until the mileage was 189,000. My kid needed a car so I gave it to him. It still looked like new inside and out. I informed him that it would need a timing belt at 220,000 miles. Several years later I asked him about the mileage and he told me it was 232,000 miles. I told him to take it to the dealer and I would pay to have the timing belt changed. Several years passed and he didn't do it. One day he called me and told me the car had stopped running. The first thing I asked him was how many miles are on it. His response was 259,000 miles. He got a mechanic to look at it and sure enough the timing belt broke. The mechanic gave him $500 for it and he was without a car for awhile. These cars are very reliable although the head gaskets leaking were a problem in certain model years.

Love my Forester

by Subaru Mom from on Fri Jan 02 2009

We love this car so much, my husband and I each own one. Very easy to drive and very handy. Drives like a sedan, but gives your more cargo room. Great height for getting small kids in and out of car seats. Good handling and great in snow and ice conditions. The AWD always finds traction for us. We have not had significant car repairs with the exception of a couple CV boot replacements on both cars. But that was over 8 years of ownership. Everything else was just regular maintenance.

Best Car Ever

by Multi Tasking Mom from Pocono Pennsyviana on Thu Jan 16 2014

I purchased this car used with low milage when it was two years old from dealership as a leased return. I have owned the car for thirteen years, putting 200,000 miles on it. My children have grown up in the car and it has been nothing but good to me. It has had little to know problems other that regular maintenance. Unfortunately the body has deteriorated around the rear wheel wells from the salt used here on the PA roadways. Now that the car is showing its age we are planning to retire it since the cost of maintenance is out weighing the value of the car. I am just heartbroken about the decision, and since it is paid for I did persuade my husband to garage it for winter days. That is how much I hate to let it go. The only complaint I can say is that there isn't enough room in the interior if you have a growing family. To anyone who is considering a Subaru Forester, don't hesitate and buy it!

Great for Colorado

by KittyHawk from Golden, CO on Mon Feb 12 2018

Meets all my expectations of an off-road vehicles that does amazing on-road with snow and ice conditions. Very pleased with the handling and all wheel drive! Still in great condition almost 20 years old.

I love mine!

by Nora Bryant from Cape Elizabeth, ME on Tue Mar 13 2012

I love my subaru forester! It's great off road and in snow and just on the pavement! It has a six disc cd player and heated seats and mirrors. I wouldn't trade it for anything!!

It's a Subaru. It performed as I expected.

by Hartmut Spetzler from Erie Co on Sat Nov 11 2017

After 16 years the interior still looks like new, while the exterior has suffered from a hit and run fender bender while parked. The car has been across the country several times and has never left us stranded. We are very happy with it and just resurrected it to mint condition even though its market value would not justify it. We just like its reliability and practicality.

Great car for the $

by haba from Stafford Springs, CT on Sun Feb 10 2013

Great car for the money! Bought as my daughter's 1st car, due to the all wheel drive feature. So far it's been great on the snowy roads in northern CT.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2001 Subaru Forester

I thought I had a six.

It felt like it, drove like it, made me smile. But when I popped the hood of the 2001 Subaru Forester S AWD, there it was — the workhorse horizontally opposed, 165-horsepower, 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine routinely used in the Subaru Legacy Outback wagon. I'd been primed for a six-cylinder version because of the hype over Subaru's soon-to-arrive H6-3.0 power plant — a 3-liter engine with horizontally opposed cylinder banks designed to develop 212 horsepower at 6,000 rpm.

Because that engine is scheduled for the 2001 Outback wagon, I thought Subaru might drop it into the Forester, too. After all, the two vehicles are thematically similar. They are station wagons... Read More