2002 Forester

2002 Subaru Forester

$947 - $7,323  MSRP Range
2002 Subaru Forester

4.4

Have You Driven the 2002 Subaru Forester?

Great Utility Car

by Outdoor Driver from Pacific Northwest on Sat Dec 25 2010

I own a 2002 Forester S and am quite satisfied with it. The difference between a L and S are worth saving for the S. It has the best sun roof I have ever seen in a car, heated leather seats, heated mirrors, heated windshield wipers, a 6 CD player/radio that sounds quite good. The car has been quite reliable, and drives great. The view from the drivers seat is wide, helping with safety. The car handles great in all conditions, especially snow. It looks a little boxy, which turns some people off, but performs well. I don't want to sound negative, but buyers want to know: The biggest knock on the older Subarus are the seals. Expect to change some of the gaskets before 200,000 miles. The head gasket being most expensive. I have yet to do this on mine, but have recently done the valve gasket and oil seals. You can delay this issue by changing the oil and coolant on time, every time, using oil treatment, or synthetic oil. The good news though is once you are over this bump the car will likely last 300,000 miles before something else major goes wrong. Outside of the above, I've had only a spatter of tiny issues, such as headlight bulbs, wiper blades, or dash bulbs, that are common and easy to fix. - Overall, this is just a great car.

Absolutely Amazing Vehicle

by Vehicle Enthusiast from New Paltz, NY on Fri Dec 08 2006

I bought this car and used it to travel 90 miles each way to work each day. I never had to worry about bad weather or even bad gas mileage. I could easily get 330 - 350 miles per tank while commuting. I have the huge sunroof with heated leather bucket seats and all the accessories - I couldn't be happier with this car. My 2002 with 115,000 miles runs smoother and more quietly than my wife's 2004 Rav4 with 25,000 miles. This car is going to last me another decade easily.

Best Car and Reliable for a Single Momma of 2

by Vee from Los Angeles on Tue Aug 24 2010

i bought this vehicle brand new in 2002 and it runs spectacular. There have been no issues. I have towed a Boat and jet ski's as well as another car and no adverse reactions. This is a very depependable car.

Great car! Incredible Value

by Lou Bones from Ulster County, NY on Sat Aug 07 2010

I have loved this car since I bought it. It handles really well, and is especially reliable in snow and rough winter weather. It's a really classy car. In dash cd changer plays 6 cds; sound system is incredible. Retractable sun/moon roof. Power everything. Decent gas millage. And reliability. All for a reasonable price. I love it.

What a SUV

by Epi117 from Portland, Oregon on Sat Jul 19 2014

We purchased a used 2002 Forester with 135k miles, had a pre-inspection done all the service records were available, timing belt and seals had been done. Amazing SUV, she runs great, lots room for stuff, love the moonroof and all leather interior of the S model. Cant wait till winter, this is our first AWD and our first Subaru and I'm happy. Do you home and make sure timing belt and seals have been done and you will be happy.

The Adventure-mobile

by Fiona from Hartford, CT on Wed Sep 06 2017

This was my daily commute and the weekend family adventure car. perfect for both. Said to see it go but it was totaled when a distracted driver drove me off the road against a guard rail and scraped up the drivers side. at 128k miles she was still young.

Good commuter

by Candyman from Oregon on Thu Aug 17 2017

Agile handling with good ground clearance. Works well in snow. Upright ride position with lots of big windows and few blind spots make it easy to drive. Not great on gas mpg in town (mine gets 23) but hwy is good at 30 mpg. Typical Subaru, exterior noise is loud especially on rough road. Fit and finish is good. Car can haul lots of stuff especially for a small car. Plenty of space inside. At 106 k mine has now developed a rattle in main drive shaft (either loose bolt or need replaced) but till now has done fine. Happy with car and with proper maintenance will serve me just fine.

cant beat a subaru

by Sean from harrisurg, pa on Mon Jun 19 2017

For my first Subaru, it is a great car. Good on gas, yearly costs are low. I have not done any major work to it but head gaskets like the 2.5 says every 100k miles to do. Seat are comfortable, the back should only have kids in the early years.

Safest Car for my daughter

by Lina from Denver, CO on Wed Nov 01 2017

Recently bought a 2002 Subaru Forester for my daughter and absolutely loved. It has low miles 106K even though its an older model. I liked the all wheel drive feature and the fact that it is reliable and the safest car to drive during the Winter. The only thing I notice on this Forester is that it has a soft brake touch feel compared to the other cars I'm used to. I Googled on it and I guess this is how Subaru brakes are. Just have to get used to it. Other than this I absolutely love the Forester.

I've had it for a day

by LoganH from Massillon on Tue Mar 13 2018

Being a single father with a child in a car seat going from a stick shift coupe to this, I am in heaven. It is so spacious on the inside, yet is still a manageable size on the outside. I got mine with 75.5k miles, it's 16 years old and still runs like a champ. No complaints yet. I'm confident this vehicle with be with me for a very long time.

1 2 3 4