2004 Forester

4.6 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.7 out of 5 starsReliability

Lots of power

by ForesterXT from Reedsville,Pa on May 17, 2011

I bought the 2004 Subaru Forester XT(Turbo) and it has lots of power and speed to pass other vehicles or entering a on ramp and it is really nice in the interior as well as exterior. I really like the car. The down side is the ride is a little rougher than the legacy outback and if you do your own maintenance work, the spark plug replacement on this forester is next to impossible due to lack of space between the head covers and the frame on each side of the engine compartment especially on the #4 cylinder next to driver firewall. I will be taking my forester to the garage and let them fight to get the sparkplugs out and new ones in.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Bar none, the most car for the money!

by Quick from Alaska on May 11, 2008

My wife's car, an older Honda Civic Si had served us well for years (150K +). It was time to consider a more appropriate vehicle and I was thinking CRV and RAV4. Cartalk had mentioned small SUV ratings of Consumer Reports, and Subaru Foresters were recommended. So off to the dealers I went. After unimpressive road tests in the CRV and the RAV4,the Subaru salesman said he had just the spot for me. We drove out to the end of a road, and he suggested that I drive up to the base of a cut bank at roads edge at about an 1:3 slope. I tried the normally aspirated X and XS models, but they were only 50% successful. The Forester XT climbed all the way to the top... Braking? No problem, I took my hands off the steering wheel, and gradually left off on the brakes, backing down without a hitch. I was impressed. Comfort? When it came time to move to Alaska, we put our top-side carrier (with camping gear)on top, our black lab with 'his gear' in the wayback, our luggage/gear in the back seat and headed north. 3,978 miles, 7 national parks, 5 states, 3 provinces later we pulled into our new home. Repairs? We had a oil temperature sending unit go out, still warranted and fixed. Dependable? It has never failed us, come rain or shine. Traction on glare ice? With studded snow tires (Nokian Hakapeliita 2), we'll drive confidently over glare ice that I'd hesitate to walk across. Features? Seat heaters, huge sunroof, mag wheels, defrosters for front and rear windshields and power mirrors, and last but not least, a turbo-charger. This last option is the best...boosting enormous additions of torque and horsepower, there is no lack of power for passing, climbing, and you can stay with the flow of traffic until way beyond reasonable. Mileage? When I'm driving the Forester will get between 17-23mpg; when my wife is driving, it'll get 22-28mpg. Unquantifiables? Smileage! Lots of smiles... Have we named the car? Yep, Quicksilver.

First Subaru

by I-5 Road warrior from Eugene, OR on October 8, 2006

It is a very nimble nice handling vehicle with plenty of power for interstate driving. Road noise is very bad though. I have had to resort to using ear plugs to keep my sanity and to be able to hear normally after the weekly 5-hour drive to Seattle. The cruise control also is in serious need of improvement. If one accelerates and passes another vehicle and then releases accelerator, the speed drops 5+mph below the set speed before slowly recovering. This makes the now following driver think you are an idiot or someting worse.

Incredible Value in this Car!

by Granite Junkie from Fresno, CA on April 28, 2009

I have to say this Subie has been one of my favorite cars. Its not a Lexus or Infiniti, but it has practical creature comforts (heated seats, mirror and windshield defrosters, auto climate control, etc) combined with industry leading reliability and function, especially for those that live in harsher conditions. These vehicles are made for people that want safety and reliability that may venture beyond the pavement or deal with snow, weather, etc. If you will do any mountain driving, this car handles incredibly well, especially if you upgrade the tires a bit. Visibility is exception, as is the usable cargo space...MUCH bigger and square-shaped than the other small crossover SUV competitors. We now have a 2008 Toyota Highlander, but even with the sport suspension, it is not even close to the handling ability of the Subie in the twisties. We just needed a bit more room, but I really miss the Subie for drivability. With the nice improvements in the 2009, I will likely get another Forester later.

Great year-round car.

by Snowshovel from Chambersburg, PA on July 12, 2009

When I bought this car, on Car Talk recomendation and safety ratings, I was worried as I had a beautiful Nisson Maxima; a beautiful luxury car that I loved. I needed a car that was a little tougher, and this great car fits that bill, from mountain roads covered in snow to driving on the sand in the Outer Banks. I drive through twisty, mountain areas and need a car that is good in snow. My grandkids love the huge moonroof. My original brakes lasted 50,000+ miles. No major problems or repairs, honestly no minor problems either. It has loads of room for gifts, groceries,my huge dog. I am short and I love that I can raise the seat to be able to see clearly, and yet my very tall "friend" can also adjust the seat for his driving comfort.

Subarus don't die

by EddieSergeant from Rochester Ny on February 6, 2018

It's been very practical and has never left me stranded. It's got it's quirks but what car doesn't. Only complaint is the noisy door seals at higher speeds.

Happy and Safe

by ConnieC from Elkhart, IN on August 18, 2017

It handles well at high speeds and it is 13 years old! This is my first Subaru and I may only buy these cars in the future!

Safe, Reliable, Easy Maintenance, Snow Hound

by Arcadia from PA on June 5, 2018

Engine barely broken in at under 100K. Premium amenities at reasonable /affordable price. Approximately 23 MPH city, 26MPH highway. Only vehicle on the road in blizzard of 2016! Comfortable ride, great seats, lots of storage nooks, plenty of room for cargo inside and in roof rack. Lots of glass: no blind spots! HUGE electric MOON ROOF! Sadly, for sale and looking for a new home.

Solid vehicle with some quirks

by SubieNJ from NJ on February 9, 2011

The car is solid. Doors slam shut and feel solid. It is like driving around in a nimble little tank. That is the best thing about the car...the gas mileage, nimbleness and handling are all really good considering the solid feeling of the car. So far so good on reliabGas mileage is solid for a car with awd and this size cargo area. ility, but mine only has 62,000 miles on it. On the downside: Excessive wind-noise at highway speed. I think the boxy shape of the car and window design cause this problem. It is really loud on the highway. There is also some kind of rattle in the engine when accelerating. I have researched this issue and it is common and difficult to fix. If you can deal with these quirks, you got yourself a solid car that is a pleasure to drive.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Excellent Car for the Money

by PAC from Vermont on June 8, 2010

I've had my Forest for six years and it drives as well as it did the day I bought it. I live in a snow belt and have never had a problem getting anywhere, even in 2ft of snow. I also live on a dirt road and the Forester handles both the mud (in the spring) and the bumps with ease. While not the most exiting car to drive or look at, it is one of the best most reliable cars I've ever owned. Its got 109,000 miles on it and no major maintenance other than standard things like timing belt replacement. In fact it still has its original exhaust system.

1 2 3 4