1996 Impreza

4.8 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.3 out of 5 starsReliability

It's got 9 Lives!!

by Adventure Girl from Lititz, PA on July 23, 2010

I bought this car used at about 110,000 miles. Tomorrow, I will be selling it to my cousin, 6 years later, at 212,600 miles. While there were constant minor problems with the car, I learned to work around them, and to enjoy the essence of a well-built vehicle that seriously has 9 lives. There were so many times in the past 6 years when I thought it was finished, due a poor inspection, but after a couple hundred dollars worth of work (and later, a couple of man hours by my husband, dad, and brother), it would pass and give me another complete year of great performance. Although the "check engine light" is eternally lit in this car, it's been soooooo good to me through every winter, and it's gotten me safely to and from work over my hour-long commute, while I travel 90 mph on the highway (please don't tell anyone). It's a safe powerhouse of a car, and the thought of getting rid of it has truly brought me to tears multiple times. It has very attractive, sporty and youthful exterior styling with a very comfortable and sensible interior. I seriously don't know if I'll ever feel the same about another vehicle. It deserves a second chance, as it will last well into the 200,000 miles - have a heart and give it a chance! You can thank me later! : )

A good little car

by VT Driver from Vermont on June 1, 2006

I bought this car last April when I sold my old Toyota. I love my Subaru, the 4WD is excellent and I have never gotten stuck, even on my unplowed *steep* dirt hill of a road in the winter. It is a bit more costly to maintain than my old Toyota, but still a good value, I feel. It is very peppy and takes all my abuse--hauling lumber, dirt, dogs, etc.

Awesome little car

by Unverviking from Rochester NY on December 8, 2008

Bought used w/113k for myself, and lost it to my wife after 2 days. She loves driving it as do I. Now almost 2 years later it has over 131k on it and nothing out of the ordinary mechanicaly done to it. Runs like a champ. Added a trailer hitch and pull our small popup camper in the summer with ease. This is our 3rd Subaru, all have been great. Wish that we never traded our 1st one, big mistake, thought we needed a mini-van. Oh Well, recommend this one to all. Funny story, my wife was the Cookie mom for my daughters brownie troop, she fit 71 cases of cookies in it. Just had enough room to drive...

outback sport owns

by kilo from unityville, pa on January 25, 2009

go by the stars. car is amazing in every aspect. fun to push in corners and off road with. buy one!

Uses car for Off-roading

Great Car

by commuterman from charlotte, nc on December 14, 2006

extremely reliable. surprisingly quick. would highly recommend this vehicle to anyone. the all wheel drive will spoil you. great car for commuting in good or bad weather!

Great Winter vehicle

by lk2sk8 from Minneapolis, MN on August 8, 2018

Bought my '96 Outback wagon with 5 speed from original owner in MN, where I live. Car had 83K when purchased, now has 255K. Is pretty much done due to rust. Gas tank leaks, muffler has hole. Had a front end crash a couple years ago and was so rusty only one body shop would repair (Maaco). I am giving this to a friend in need and found another '96 in Portland with no rust. I bought it sight unseen and am having it shipped. Great handling car, I drive manual transmissions only. Excellent in snow. Issues I've had are problems with rear rotors rusting. AC compressor went out. Seal replacements and power steering pump went out. Replaced the rack. I've started to do my own maintenance to save money. Looking forward to my "new" 1996. I have driven newer Subaru's but the 1996 cannot be beat. Great visibility and seating position. Great handling and road feedback. This particular year of car has no head gasket issues which was a compelling decision for me to buy another. I would like a WRX but they are getting pricey and becoming collector items.

Our Expert Review: 1996 Subaru Impreza