2005 Legacy

2005 Subaru Legacy

2005 Subaru Legacy

Have You Driven the 2005 Subaru Legacy?

Legacy 2.5GT sportshift is great

by Cruze from California on Tue Nov 30 2010

Read on the net a couple professional reviews for this car, don?t take my word for it. Subaru really hit the mark with this one ? the ?05 is the first year of the 2nd gen, and ?06 is nearly the same car (front scoop tad lower). Sure it?s not quite as ?on & svelte? as a BMW M3 or 330ci, but it holds its own with 250 hp and Subaru?s smooth full time AWD, and for once, it?s not ?Subie funky? as a few older models. Interior and body fit-finish is very good. Plus, it's 10 grand cheaper for similar performance. GT drive train is derived from the WRX STI 2.5 liter turbo & World Rally Car racing circuit ? very solid. The auto-sport shift (not manual), is truly a shocker as how well it works ? shifting aggressively to pass, or stuck in traffic on full auto. After driving a Mitsubishi VR4 360 hp, AWD, 6-spd, then to the Subaru GT ? frankly, the GT is far more useful while still sporty ? and way cheaper to maintain. GT back seat, tho bigger than a VR4?s joke 2+2, is quite cramped for a 6 ft adult ? teens and smaller folks OK. GT gets up to 30 mpg in ?real world? if light on the pedal, and 21 mpg if you?re juicing it. I?ve owned four Subaru?s, two of this generation GT - Reliable, fun, and economical. No weirdness, everything simply works. Legacy is a tad lower suspension than the Outback?s, if you?re bashing lots of snowdrifts and dirt roads ? Outback is the higher clearance choice. Weekend cruze to the snow, or commute traffic, Legacy GT is simply great. Note the GT is a 5spd with 75 more hp than the 2.5i (4-spd), which is a noticeable delta. The one negative reader below `Pathetic? complaining about noise and ride height, frankly, must have been driving a modified car or something was screwed up; ten of eleven reviewers rate the Subaru GT car very highly. New Car test, Tom Lankard, "Subaru now wants to be viewed as a premium brand, not a luxury brand like Lexus or Mercedes, but premium in the level of technology it offers. Subaru certainly lives up to that. Its all-wheel-drive systems are among the best in the world, honed through its success in the World Rally Championship, and Subaru designs its awd systems specifically for each model and driveline offered, ensuring optimum performance. Subaru's premium technology goes well beyond all-wheel drive, however. The engines and suspensions are highly engineered, resulting in a car that offers excellent handling on paved and unpaved roads along with a smooth, comfortable, though not cushy, ride quality. All Legacy models come with a full array of safety features, including dual-stage frontal airbags, front seat-mounted side-impact airbags, and full-coverage side curtain airbags. The front seats have active head restraints. Antilock brakes (ABS) with electronic brake-force distribution (EBD) are standard across the line. And all-wheel drive is certainly a safety feature. All this stuff is standard. Many other vehicles with lower base prices, sell these features as extra-cost options. "

Best car I have ever owned

by Legacy driver from Jaffrey NH on Thu May 28 2009

I bought my 2005 Legacy 2.5i new in June 05 and as of this writing it has 110479 miles and has never broke down. I have a 120 mile round trip commute and it averages 30 mpg. 70% of it is backroads, hills and the rest is highway. Its all wheel drive and its not rated for that kind of economy. I love the looks of my Suby even after 4 yrs of ownership. Winters in New England are no problem with this car. I run all season tires year round and have no issues in the snow, even on steep hills, due to the amazing all wheel drive system. We also have a Ford Escape with all wheel drive but that one needs to have slip before it kicks in which can cause problems in the snow and ice. The Subaru system is always on and it always grips and goes, the Escape slides and then kicks in. Not fun! Some things I dislike: Base radio is just that, basic. Seats are uncomfortable on long rides. 170 hp of the base engine, wish it had 20 hp more Things I like: Great looks Fuel ecomony Handling Reliability Best headlights I have ever had. Over 110000 miles and body and paint still look good, interior is holding up very well also. I would not be afraid to buy one of these used.

Legacy GT Limited

by Sprovi427 from South Barrington, IL. on Thu Jun 26 2008

I bought my '05 Subaru Legacy GT Limited this past December and I absolutely love it. After being in SUV's for years driving an average of about 25k miles a year, I decided it was time for me to stop dumping my paychecks in the gas tank. The Legacy I got is completely loaded including a 6-disc in dash CD changer, Titanium Trim, dual power heated seats, moonroof, auto-dimming mirrors, windshield wiper deicer, 17" alloy wheels, and rear spoiler. The 2.5 liter high output turbo is incredible, with very little turbo lag and amazing performance. Handling is like a dream, and I find myself going out of my way to take curving, winding backroads. The symmetrical AWD system is key in this, and even in the snow the car handles surprisingly well given it's low stature. On the outside the car is sexy, sporty, and definitely a looker. The inside is much of the same, although the front seats are a bit hard and horrible for long travels; I took it to Ohio, about a 6 hour drive from Chicago, and never wanted to sit in the car again. However, the seats are perforated which keeps your backside cooler in the scorching summer sun. I thought the gas mileage would be better than it is, considering it's a smaller car with a 4-cylinder engine, but I average about 19.8 in the city and 28 on the highway. Premium fuel is recommended and I'm a little skeptical about putting in mid-grade, but with today's gas prices I don't really have a choice. With Subaru being the No. 1 car company with 10 year old cars having over 250,000 miles on them, reliability is definitely not an issue with this car. The handling, looks and style, acceleration, motor, sound system, options, etc. + reliability DEFINITELY make purchasing this car a split second decision. While shopping I looked at the Acura TSX, Audi A4, VW Jetta, Saab 9-3, Lexus IS300, and Nissan Altima, but fell in love when I saw and drove this car. When I first started looking and my friend told me about the Legacy my response was "I don't want to drive a Subaru, they don't excited me." This is because generally when someone says "Subaru" you don't think of this, you think of the AWD Outback station wagons driven by Mr. Crocodile Dundee. But trust me, if you're thinking about a smaller than mid-size sedan, take the time to look at the Legacy GT, or new Legacy Spec R, Limited. You won't be disappointed.

LGT

by leftyLGT from CA on Sat Jul 24 2010

Great Car, most bang for ur buck. Rivals BMW's or Audi's. Theses cars are fast and handle great in all kinds of weather. Also highly upgradable.

best bang for the buck

by sport car enthusiast from Westchester , New York on Mon Jun 29 2009

I bought this car in May of 2005. I have maintained it carefully and it has never failed me.I now have 87,000 miles on it. I have taken this car on the track and drive it very aggressively. It has been fantastic car to own. I enjoy driving it in any weather. The AWD system is excellent. The turbo is well designed with very little lag. I have surprized many people with the speed and agility of this car. I would recommmed the car to anybody who wants to have a sporty 4 door and does not want to pay 40,000 or more. I bought the car for $27,500 and get my money worth every day.

Solid, Dependable and AWD!

by Japanese Car Afficianado from Hudson Valley, NY on Wed Aug 31 2011

I am 6' 4" and found this to be one of the better economical and dependable cars for someone my height. The car is peppy and does great in the winter.

A sports car disguised in a wagon

by Tchintchin from Hartford CT on Thu Feb 10 2011

I bought the car new in early 2006. I was considering a regular Legacy wagon. There was none that I liked on the lot and the dealer showed me a 2005 left over GT Wagon(Turbo). The car is very powerful and fun to drive. It has stronger accelerations than the Porsche Cayman that I recently drove. Four wheel drive, low road clearance, plenty of power, and good brakes make it a very safe vehicle. It is well equipped with a 6CD in dash player, heated seats, defrost rear view mirrors, and defrost element at the bottom of the windshield. It handles any snow very well. The car has 45000 miles and has only been to the shop for regular maintenance. My main complains are(1) Not very comfortable for long distance because steering wheel is not telescopic and seating is very low like in a sports car (2) car requires premium gas because of the turbo. Gas mileage depends very much from the driving style. I managed to get up to 28 mpg on long highway trip. This is one of the prettiest and fastest wagons ever build. It is a pity that Subaru does not manufacture it anymore. But what the heck, the new Subarus are so ugly that they became totally unattractive

Love everything about the GT, but the auto

by 2005GT from Chicago , IL on Fri Sep 17 2010

Love this car! Only complaint is the auto trans... it shifts too early and is not very smooth. Otherwise it's a GREAT year round car!

Love love love this car

by WempenHeegsta from Riverton, wy on Wed Sep 05 2012

I previously only owned trucks, but after getting horrible gas mileage and not very good traction in the winter I was looking for something better. My husband is a mechanic and recommended I look at subarus, now I'm not too big of a fan of the wagons so I was a little hesitant. I started looking around and found that the legacy fit my style.... Subarus are well know for lasting forever, being super comfortable and great on gas mileage. After purchasing this car I could not be happier. I would recommend this car to ANYONE!

Great value for a used car

by Good value purchaser from Brevard, N.C. on Fri Dec 22 2006

I can't believe, but I now own two 2005 Subaru Lagacy's (one is a GT). For a smaller sedan, not a compact, it handles great being low to the ground. Big difference in power from the GT model, but the standard model can hold its own. I've found people don't think of this car for a used auto purchase and that makes it a great buy for Lagacy purchasers. Safety features and AWD makes you feel safe for trips. Repairs have been 0%.

1 2 3 4 5

Our Take on the 2005 Subaru Legacy

I've long considered Subaru's Legacy GT sedan the dark horse among midsize sedans, particularly those labeled sport sedans. The country is full of buyers who will do anything to avoid buying a Toyota Camry — a perennial cars.com Best Bet and an excellent car overall, but one that's not sporty or compelling to behold. Recently redesigned, the 2005 Legacy GT sedan combines sharp looks with performance that surprised even me — for how good it could be, and how bad. I drove both the manual and the automatic, but only in the GT version, not the regular Legacy sedan or wagon.

Ride & Handling
Until Subaru introduced the WRX version of its Impreza, the brand wasn't known for sportiness. Even so... Read More