2017 Legacy

4.9 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

I Bought My Legacy for its Safety Features

by Peter from Newark, DE on March 11, 2017

I was looking for a sedan that would be significantly safer than my older cars. It wasn't a matter just of airbags and protection in a crash. My old car had air bags, so how much safety would a few additional bags add? What I wondered was whether any of the ACTIVE safety features really work by keeping you out of accidents in the first place. I only compared cars that already have top government and insurance safety ratings. It soon became clear that a few cars really stand out: among the sedans, the Volvo S60 (great but far too expensive), the Mazda 6 (but only the top of the line model) AND, the eventual winner, the Subaru Legacy (a car I was not considering when I first started looking). In all cases, what you get depends which OPTIONAL safety features you buy. My list of desired features included a rear camera (available on almost all cars and soon to be required on all cars), warnings when you stray out of lane (very common but far from universal) and indication of when a car in in your blind spot. I also wanted more advanced features such as for the car to intervene if an accident is on the verge of happening, by automatic braking etc., both driving forward and in reverse. An additional feature that really intrigued me was adaptive headlights, headlights that aim to the left or right when you turn to your driving path is illuminated. I also liked lane assist and adaptive cruise control. The first gently keeps you in your lane on the highway, and the second keeps you the right distance behind the car in front of you. In addition to these core safety features, I was also interested in a car with reasonably modern electronics. I hoped for an easy integration of my car and my iPhone. Of course, seat comfort, economy and a generally pleasant driving car were important as well, but I hoped that most new cars would be OK in those respects. Style, color etc. were on the bottom of the list, but still in mind. My general evaluation is that the 2017 Legacy exceeds expectations with regard to safety. I love the rear view camera and the beeps when I stray out of lane. I hope the active crash protection works. I have seen demonstrations on You-Tube, but I would rather not need it in real life. When the salesman was demonstrating the car, he put it in cruise control while following another car. When that car stopped at a light, so did the Legacy! That was pretty impressive, but I have no desire to duplicate the experience routinely. I do use the lane assist all the time. It works. You can see how we are moving toward self-controlling cars. The safety feature I am most disappointed with is adaptive headlights. I don't think I see into curves any better than I would otherwise. The headlights are fine as such, but I see no advance over conventional headlights so far. So for safety, I would give the 2017 Legacy, equipped with all the safety features, an A Minus. I am happy. It really is much better than earlier cars, but more improvements are clearly possible. The improvements so far do seem to justify buying a new car if your old one lacks most of these features. Electronics is another story. Here the 2017 Legacy has the feel of 2007, not 2017. Yes, you can make an iPhone or Android use the sound system as a hands-free, but the built in GPS system feels old fashioned compared with Google Maps on my iPhone. It has been announced that the 2018 will integrate with Apple Car Play, but judging from the Impreza, which has those features now, that is not much better. Most people prefer Google Maps to Apple Maps, and that is not available in 2017 or in 2018 apparently. I am not sure any car on the market really gets this right. Maybe we have been spoiled by our phones. The cars have a way to go to catch up. What I can praise is the upgraded stereo on the Limited trim level. The sound is great. It is possible to listen to Pandora and get a wide choice of music (if you don't mind using up your data pla

Great all around vehicle

by Car Guy Rob from Sparks, MD on August 15, 2017

This is my second review of this car since I bought it. I love this car. It's comfortable, quiet, and performs and handles well. It has good acceleration for a 4 cylinder (on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it an 8), but having all wheel drive and 30 mpg with mixed driving, I'm happy. If you want more oomph, get the six cylinder. This is my tenth Subaru, and I've always been amazed by the AWD performance. I look forward to winter, because the AWD system has been made even better.

My dream car - my new 2017 Subaru Legacy!

by Nancy J from Boise, ID on March 16, 2017

I just bought my very first new car, a 2017 Subaru Legacy, and I am thrilled with it. It is a super attractive car that has every feature I could possibly desire. It is exceptionally comfortable to ride in & a joy to drive. It is the safest car I could find. Subaru has even made everything under the hood easy for a senior female like me to maintain. The oil & fluids that I need to check routinely are easy to find by their colorcoded yellow caps, & the fluid containers are see-through so I can tell when they need to be flushed or simply filled. The Subaru Legacy is fantastic! I recommend it without any reservoations whatsoever after much comparison shopping of other makes & models. I wanted a wonderful car that would not disappoint me and this is it!

3.6R is the way to go!

by Manny from Seattle, WA on February 23, 2017

Fun to drive, handles very well, AWD and Subaru's EyeSight system makes you wonder how you ever drove without it.

My First Subaru...

by A Car is a Tool -- But a Fun One! from jacksonville, fl on August 23, 2017

Purchased my first Subaru Legacy Sport six weeks ago because of its many safety features...especially the all-wheel drive. I now found I also enjoy many other features ... it handles beautifully, is supremely quiet, and ... IT IS CUTE!

Does not recommend this car!!

An excellent vehicle

by James Herald from Florida on September 12, 2017

The 2017 subaru legacy 2.5 i is an excellent drive. The engine is nice and powerful thus allowing you to take off smoothly and quickly from a stop. The vehicle supports transmission supports manumatic driving which can be quite enjoyable. The shift paddles are positioned nicely to move with the wheel thus allowing for easy shifting even during a turn. I somewhat dislike the wood paneling on the interior of the doors. The steering wheel based controls are excellently positioned for easy control of cruise control, hands free phone, and radio control. The lane assist works excellently and will steer you back in automatically. The auto adjusting cruise control excellently maintains the number of car lengths you set between yourself and the car ahead of you. My favorite part of the above features is that they can be turned off for the enthusiastic driver. Overall I quite like the Subaru Legacy and would highly recomend it.

Our Third Subaru

by Golf Rules Official from Green Valley, Arizona on April 25, 2017

This is our third Subaru, but the first Legacy. We replaced our Forester with a new Legacy and love the car. It is a great road car and we take long trips. And the average lifetime mileage to date, after 2, 100 miles and a mix of local a highway driving, is 32+ mpg. We have the 4 cylinder engine and find it to be plenty adequate for our driving. The Eyesight safety system is awesome!

Amazing safety features

by Subaru Steve from Utah on August 15, 2017

I drive 50 miles each way to work in eradic freeway traffic with many sudden stops. I choose the Subaru because of its Eyesight and other safety features. It took a few days to build up enough trust in the system to fully let it work. Now I set the variable cruise control at the speed limit and keep my feet off of both the gas and brake. It just works! It handles the freeway ebb and flow, including the sudden unexplained sudden traffic slowdowns and stops. The lane keeping features nudges if I drift near the lane edge of my lane. I appreciate the blind spot indicator on the side mirrors instead of the navigation display. The cross traffic backup warning works for both cars and people; a real help in the hectic parking lots on the military base where I work. There are many other "nice" features that make driving a joy.

Another Subaru for our family

by WIscMike from Waukesha,Wi on March 12, 2017

Bought this Subaru Legacy Limited about 3 weeks ago. Love everything about it. It has the Eyesight package. The gps interface is clumsy but it l has some features I like with its maps but continue to use my Garmin. Fuel mileage and power with the 4 cylinder and cvt are fine. Visibilty, comfort and handling are fine. Nice amount of interior room. Ride on the 18 inch tires is firm but not punishing. Like the Eyesight and associated tech. Seems to work well in my car and my wifes 2017 Outback 3.6R which convinced me to buy the package.

Very reliable, fun car to drive!

by Jason D from Klamath falls on May 22, 2017

I have had 4 Subaru's over the years, my new Legacy is the best one yet! It's easy to drive, it's roomy and it is comfortable and quite. I'm not expecting it drive like a WRX ( Which I own one) im looking for a daily driver. And it does that with no problems, and get 27 mpg in the city and on road trips it's getting 42 mpg. Love it!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9