2000 Outback

2000 Subaru Outback

$267 - $6,087  MSRP Range
2000 Subaru Outback

4.2

Have You Driven the 2000 Subaru Outback?

12 years and going strong

by Subaru Owner from Rhode Island - Ohio on Sat Apr 28 2012

I bought this car new and it has been great. I chose it for the look, handling and the AWD for New England winters when I was commuting quite a distance to work. It never failed me. I have had to do some minor repairs on the exhaust system and a torn CV boot and replaced the brakes and the hydraulic hatch opener thingies, but other than those smallish issues it has been smooth sailing. Complaints: the interior has way too few cupholders (yeah I know, that's crazy to focus on but it actually has been an issue); the driver's side mirror basically fell off pretty early on so there are some issues with the quality of the interior construction; the car holds on to moisture (it can fog up *on the inside* sometimes, which is weird- but it's only happened a few times), but on the whole the car has been everything I wanted. It drives through deep snow like it's nothing; it can haul a ton of stuff; passengers have loads of legroom; I can parallel park it with ease. It's actually a really big (roomy inside) vehicle but it drives like a much smaller one - very manageable. The minimal (almost lack of ) "blind spot" is also great. I love my Subaru and will hate to sell it...hope that day doesn't come for a while!

Best In SNOW

by PamAtHome from Traverse City, MI on Tue Jan 31 2012

This is my second Subaru, I owned a 1991 sedan, which was very small. I live in the Michigan snow belt and NEVER got stuck in snow with either vehicle. Repairs are a little high, but this car is worth it.

I have owned them 2 times!

by Aspen Sports minded AWDer Lady from Aspen, CA on Thu Feb 15 2007

My husband picked it out for me to take the girls golfing and fit everything in and give me a safe and sporty ride. Living in Aspen I needed an AWD vehicle that offered comfort, reliability, room, pickup when needed, great handling and BOY this car gives you that! I put the mt. bike on, skis, or toss in the golf clubs and hit the road and ride in style knowing I will not have any problems with my car. NEVER HAVE! All I do is change the oil and do the basics! I love it!

Cost me thousands of $$$ for head gasket repairs

by Disgruntled Subaru owner from Vancouver, WA on Mon Aug 15 2011

This was my first new car, and I enjoyed the driving experience-- until the head gasket started leaking and needed replacement at around 60K. After that, the replacement seals leaked and needed replacement every other year to the tune of around $600 per replacement. This occurred three times until the gasket blew and wasn't noticed until the block had cracked-- after the original + 3 replacements = four gaskets. It died at 120K, which is "fair" for any car but I had certainly expected a much longer lifespan for the vehicle, which was otherwise running and was maintained fine. The only other criticism was the placement of the drink holders: the dual holders pop out above the climate and radio controls: When you have a drink being held, it is impossible to access either of these.

Does not recommend this car!!

I own a 2004 Forester and needed another auto.

by RG1 from Florida on Wed Feb 08 2017

I loved the Subaru I own and bought the 2000 Outback for that reason. The price as right and the Outback meet all my expectations.

Goes the Distance

by DefendTheFort from Spring Creek, NV on Fri Jul 14 2017

I have 234,000 miles on my Subaru and it still gets 27 mpg. Hard to argue with the longevity and fuel economy. Also goes great in the snow.

It's a Subaru. I take good care of it

by Flyboyron from Medford on Fri Jun 15 2018

I think that any Subaru between 1997 and 2002 is well worth buying used at the price they are asking. As long as mileage is below 200,000. I see a lot of people having issues. Head gaskets for instance. I don't have those issues

one of the best cars made.

by notle raeps from ALBUQUERQUE on Thu Aug 02 2018

absolutely the most reliable,versitale sure footed,fun,dependable,easy to maintain,efficent,and safe cars on the road..i joke that it could clime a tree if u could get the wheels /tires on it.in short,very good cars.,indeed.

Car is in nice condition

by Subaru from johnstown, Pa on Sat Apr 07 2018

The vehicle is in nice shape for the year. Drives and runs out well for a 2000 vehicle. Paint is nice and looks real clean

Maybe mine's a lemon?

by Anne from Washington on Wed Feb 06 2008

I bought this Subaru (the limited--fully loaded version) in 04 for its reliability. After three and a half years, I've put more than $4000 of repairs into it with another $1200+ needed. I've replaced head gaskets . . . twice. My catalytic converter is going out and the speedometer stopped working last week for awhile. Brakes & windshields I've expected, but every time the sensitive check engine light comes on (which is ALL the time), it seems to promise another $1000 repair. I shall never buy another Subaru.

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2000 Subaru Outback

When we tested Subaru's so-called Sport Utility Sedan last year, we told you we thought it was a silly concept, worthy of that old huckster P.T. Barnum.

Apparently Subaru's marketing wizards have seen the light, and have rechristened this otherwise competent all-wheel-drive sedan, which gets a substantial redesign for 2000 and a new name: The Outback Limited Sedan.

Subaru has made some notable mechanical improvements to the car, and loaded it up with all kinds of accessories. But is the $26,650 Outback Limited Sedan really superior to the regular Legacy Sedan, which lists for under $20,000?

She: I'll answer that question right away. Save your money and go for the Legacy with its standard all-wheel... Read More