2000 Outback

4.2 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.4 out of 5 starsReliability

12 years and going strong

by Subaru Owner from Rhode Island - Ohio on April 28, 2012

I bought this car new and it has been great. I chose it for the look, handling and the AWD for New England winters when I was commuting quite a distance to work. It never failed me. I have had to do some minor repairs on the exhaust system and a torn CV boot and replaced the brakes and the hydraulic hatch opener thingies, but other than those smallish issues it has been smooth sailing. Complaints: the interior has way too few cupholders (yeah I know, that's crazy to focus on but it actually has been an issue); the driver's side mirror basically fell off pretty early on so there are some issues with the quality of the interior construction; the car holds on to moisture (it can fog up *on the inside* sometimes, which is weird- but it's only happened a few times), but on the whole the car has been everything I wanted. It drives through deep snow like it's nothing; it can haul a ton of stuff; passengers have loads of legroom; I can parallel park it with ease. It's actually a really big (roomy inside) vehicle but it drives like a much smaller one - very manageable. The minimal (almost lack of ) "blind spot" is also great. I love my Subaru and will hate to sell it...hope that day doesn't come for a while!

Best In SNOW

by PamAtHome from Traverse City, MI on January 31, 2012

This is my second Subaru, I owned a 1991 sedan, which was very small. I live in the Michigan snow belt and NEVER got stuck in snow with either vehicle. Repairs are a little high, but this car is worth it.

I have owned them 2 times!

by Aspen Sports minded AWDer Lady from Aspen, CA on February 15, 2007

My husband picked it out for me to take the girls golfing and fit everything in and give me a safe and sporty ride. Living in Aspen I needed an AWD vehicle that offered comfort, reliability, room, pickup when needed, great handling and BOY this car gives you that! I put the mt. bike on, skis, or toss in the golf clubs and hit the road and ride in style knowing I will not have any problems with my car. NEVER HAVE! All I do is change the oil and do the basics! I love it!

Cost me thousands of $$$ for head gasket repairs

by Disgruntled Subaru owner from Vancouver, WA on August 15, 2011

This was my first new car, and I enjoyed the driving experience-- until the head gasket started leaking and needed replacement at around 60K. After that, the replacement seals leaked and needed replacement every other year to the tune of around $600 per replacement. This occurred three times until the gasket blew and wasn't noticed until the block had cracked-- after the original + 3 replacements = four gaskets. It died at 120K, which is "fair" for any car but I had certainly expected a much longer lifespan for the vehicle, which was otherwise running and was maintained fine. The only other criticism was the placement of the drink holders: the dual holders pop out above the climate and radio controls: When you have a drink being held, it is impossible to access either of these.

Does not recommend this car!!

I own a 2004 Forester and needed another auto.

by RG1 from Florida on February 8, 2017

I loved the Subaru I own and bought the 2000 Outback for that reason. The price as right and the Outback meet all my expectations.

Goes the Distance

by DefendTheFort from Spring Creek, NV on July 14, 2017

I have 234,000 miles on my Subaru and it still gets 27 mpg. Hard to argue with the longevity and fuel economy. Also goes great in the snow.

Car is in nice condition

by Subaru from johnstown, Pa on April 7, 2018

The vehicle is in nice shape for the year. Drives and runs out well for a 2000 vehicle. Paint is nice and looks real clean

It's a Subaru. I take good care of it

by Flyboyron from Medford on June 15, 2018

I think that any Subaru between 1997 and 2002 is well worth buying used at the price they are asking. As long as mileage is below 200,000. I see a lot of people having issues. Head gaskets for instance. I don't have those issues

one of the best cars made.

by notle raeps from ALBUQUERQUE on August 2, 2018

absolutely the most reliable,versitale sure footed,fun,dependable,easy to maintain,efficent,and safe cars on the road..i joke that it could clime a tree if u could get the wheels /tires on it.in short,very good cars.,indeed.

DO NOT BUY A 2000 SUBARU....OTHER YEARS ARE GREAT!

by jslice5454 from Denver, CO on December 16, 2009

TWO WORDS: HEAD GASKET....yes subarus are awesome cars, and all I even wanted was a subaru becuase all my buddies had one and all of them made it close to 300,000 miles or more...BUT BEWARE!!! the 2000 model was redesinged and the HEAD GASKET were designed poorly and they rupture and this repair job is almost 2,000 dollars and it will rupture again right around 50,000 miles after the first 2,000 grand leaves your pocket...THIS IS NOT JOKE! SUBARUS ARE AWESOME CARS JUST STAY AWAY FROM THE year 2000 model and you will be safe. Done belive me...type in Google, "Head Gasket blown in my 2000 subaru" and then talk to me. I have had the worst experience with this car and I am not alone. Google it and see.

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2 3