2011 Outback

4.7 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.8 out of 5 starsReliability

Great Car

by Happy Convert in Wylie, TX from wylie, TX on December 31, 2010

After researching almost every samll SUV, mid size sedan, and compact hatch back for 7 months, my wife and I decided on the 2011 Outback. We have now had the car for close to 7,000 miles and six months. While browsing the cars.com blogs, I found the video review for the 2010 redesigned Outback, and was immediatley impressed with the new exterior design. I have always found Subarus to be kind of goofy looking, but this model really caught my eye. So, the following weekend my wife and went to a dealership to take a look first hand at the vehicle. After taking our first drive and exploring the vehicle, the Outback became the benchmark for all other test drives. Once we started to narrow our search to small SUV's, it came down to the Outback and the RAV4. What seperated the Outback for us from the RAV4 was the overall ride and comfort. With the standard all wheel drive mated with the CVT transmission, the Outback accelerated quickly but smoothly and navigated bumpy roads with ease. Since we live on the outer edge of the Dallas area, we deal a lot with poor roads. The car handles beautifully for its size in quick response situations, plus is able to get up and go when you need it. The interior of the vehicle was layed out with ease of access in mind. Now we went for the base model, without any bells and whistles, so there is no nav system or any screens to look at for us. The radio and cruise controls on the steering wheel are easy to get to without looking down, which I found to be a problem on other vehicles. My only complaint is when you try to direct a/c to the rear seats with the vents in the center dash, the air is obstructed by the people in the front seat. Other than that, I love the material of the seats; nice and hardy with out feeling rough. Easy to spend a couple of hours in the car without feeling uncomfortable. Since we went base model, the features that came standard compared to other small SUV's in the same price range, my wife and I could not be more happy with our purchase. We both would highly recommend this vehicle. To anyone looking at purchasing a vehicle make sure you spend as much time as you can in the vehicle before you sign on the dotted line.

First Subaru

by Ninham from North Jersey on September 19, 2011

After 25 years of only driving trucks/SUV's, I have finally purchased my first Subaru. I have driven only Jeeps for the past 15 years and I was hesitant to go in a different direction. I test drove the Outback and that was it. It's combination of comfort, versatility, and economy made it the perfect fit for me. And with 8.7 inches of ground clearance it matched the '08 Wrangler Unlimited I drove. The Subaru just gave me so much more for my money and wasn't a bubble like the CR-V or comparatively overpriced like the Toyota Venza - which is more of car than anything else...and it doesn't even come with standard AWD like the proven Subaru! With only 800 miles on the ticker, I really can't rate reliability, however if history holds true, I will have my Outback for many years to come. Woo Woo Woo. You Know It.

so far so good

by cocopuff from california on July 15, 2011

Traded in my 2004 legacy for the 2011 Outback. The interior is sooo roomy. Feels like a very big car. Exlint gas mileage. (30 mpg so far) I do miss the power of my manual Legacy, but to get the mpg, you need the CVT. Radio is fine for my purposes, but may be wimpy for some phonophiles. I have three complaints so far: Cubbies in the rear do not have a door!? What's that about? I couldn't figure out the use for these. I velcroed a sheet of plastic to it. How tacky! On a positive note, there is a 12v outlet in the back. And, the flasher button is in the most asinine place. Lastly, there is no air vent for the back (not in my '04 legacy either, but this is 2011!) AND, only 2 air vents in front hit the driver no matter where you try to focus the air. One more thing! The "off black" interior is VERY black. I prefer a little lighter. Best of all: no plasticy "new car smell" like the toyota and honda. So far, I'm enjoying the ride

Solidly Built Automobile

by Safety Nut from Marathon, NY on March 22, 2011

The Outback is a solidly built automobile. When you close a door it doesn't sound like you've just put the tin lid on a garbage can. We were looking for an All Wheel Drive to give us a safety edge when our upstate New York Winter weather puts out a driving challenge. Our Outback meets that and more. It is comfortable and has loads of interior room. Three adults can be seated in the rear seat with plenty of legroom. Hatchback area can hold plenty of gear and even more if you can flip down the back seats. Our model has the heated front seats, heated side mirrors and the interior rearview mirror with compass and auto dimming. Driver seat is adjustable about a dozen ways. You can even manually downshift/upshift the automatic transmission with shift levers mounted in finger reach behind the steering wheel. It gets acceptable gas milage for its' size. So far we are averaging 27.3 MPG for combined Hwy/secondary/city. Only complaint is that the alloy spoke wheels sometimes get snow and ice sitting in them if the car has sat in a snow storm outdoors. When that happens you can feel in the balance when at highway speed. I carry a wood paint stir stick that I use to clean them out just in case. Other than that we love this car!

Almost the perfect vehicle for our small family

by Spinakerguy from Chicagoland, IL on June 1, 2011

I freely admit that I don't like SUVs, crossovers, or anything else that's basically a station wagon/family hauler pretending to be something different. I wanted a station wagon to replace our 2007 BMW 328iT wagon, but i wanted something more reliable and less expensive than the only mid- to large-sized wagons that only seem to come from Germany. Except for the fact that the Outback looks like it's walking around on tiptoes, it's perfect. The size is right for my wife, our toddler, and our dog, with the 3.6R it hauls all of our butts with aplomb, it's got everything the BMW had (except memory seats which I miss and the headlights which follow the steering wheel which was cool), and it handles well. We had a great experience with the dealer who treated us with respect, who let us borrow a car to bring to the police station to ensure that the child seat fit right BEFORE we purchased it, and who gave us a great price. While it's not nearly as sleek and sexy as our old BMW, this is a great car that we really enjoy, and from the driver's seat, I can't see that it looks like an armadillo on tiptoes. I highly recommend it!

Reliability and Safety with Good Snow Capability

by urabuS from Keansburg, NJ on December 21, 2011

That Review Title sums it all up. I've had my 2011 limited now for close to 1 yr 7mo. and it's at close to 30k miles. Not one mechanical thing has gone wrong. The Subaru's have one of the Best Safety ratings in the car industry. Snow? fo-get-about-it..... Subaru out - does all other AWD vehicles in snow capability/performance, it easily plows through blizzard size drifts and never gets stuck. So far it's the best car I've owned and I've had 9 cars prior to the Subaru. I can honestly say the Subaru out performs all my previous cars. Good gas mileage too I might add close to 31mpg on highway with 4cyl boxer engine. Very happy Subaru Customer !!!!!! I rate it a 10.

Outstanding Value

by baseball fan from Myrtle Beach, SC on July 30, 2011

I have had several BMW's, Mercedes, Cadillac's, a Porsche, and even a Ferarri. This vehicle is in many ways a part of all those cars combined. A pleasure to drive, the quietest car ever, great gas mileage, very comfortable, and very fairly priced. If you are considering a 2011 Outback I highly recommend you just go for it as we have never owned a Subaru and may never own anything else going forward...

by mustang65bob from Richland, WA on January 17, 2011

We reviewed the reviews of the various AWD vehicles and learned that the Subaru was one of the few vehicles that was designed to be AWD. Most of the other manufactures take a FWD and convert it to AWD. Most of these vehicles run in FWD until one of the wheels looses traction and then the AWD kicks in. The Subaru on the other hand is full time AWD. We also felt that the Subaru was more reasonably priced than it competetors. By using the internet we were able to research the dealer invoice and we were able to purchase our car for $1,000 less than the invoice price. Obviously, the dealer pays less than invoice.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

My Second Subaru

by Bad Angus from Chicago IL on June 7, 2012

I bought my 2011 Outback toward the end of the model year after wanting one for years. After 6 months, I'm very satisfied with this car. The styling and comfort is very good, and this car does everything I need it to. My only regret is that I went with the 6-cyl model, which turned out to be more than I needed. I thought I'd need it for trailering my motorcycle (which it does, with aplomb, even up mountains), but I later learned it didn't get my that much extra towing capacity -- just 300 extra pounds. It's great to have such snappy pickup (it goes like a banshee when you step on the gas). The unfortunate trade-off is MPG. I'm only averaging 20 mpg, whereas the 4-cyl with CVT would be giving me 5-6 extra MPG. Pros: Great interior/exterior quality, great sound system (if you get the upgrade Harmon-Kardon system), great comfort and ride quality, great value relative to competing cars. TONS of cargo room. Cons: MPG (with 6 cyl). Handling is slightly sloppy compared to older Outbacks, which were smaller. The front seat pans are about an inch or two shorter than I'd like. Last tip: Avoid the Subaru Navigatino system. It's expensive, and extremely outdated in terms of graphics and interface. Just buy an aftermarket one for a fraction of the price.

BEST AWD ON THE MARKET

by ROB from PALM PRINGS CA. on July 23, 2011

SUBARU WAS THE FIRST TO DEVELOP ALL WHEEL DRIVE.. THEIRS IS DIFFERENT THAN ALL OTHERS AND HAS BEEN IN EXISTANCE TWICE AS LONG ALSO THE V6 H DESIGN IS ONLY ON SUBARU..THIS VEHICLE FAR OUT PERFORMS ALL OTHERS OFF PAVED AND ON SNOW OR MUD COVERED ROADS. I HAVE HAD THEM ALL EXCEPT A HUMMER AND CAN ATTEST TO THE PERFORMANCE.P

Uses car for Off-roading