2008 XL7

4.4 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

1st 1k miles

by Love my 2008 XL7 from Chicago on March 31, 2010

LOVE IT!! I got mine used; 2008 FWD with the Luxury package that came standard with leather, heated seats, 6 cd changer, and a moon roof!! The leather seats are great!, soooo comfortable, I never would have even considered getting leather, but now that I have it I love it! At a quick glance it has a very luxurious interior, but if you look closely it?s a little cheap, the doors don't quite shut with the same sold feel as they do on our Toyota Venza. But that?s OK, I stayed in budget and got all the really nice toys too. The ride is really good, firm and controlled almost sporty, it's also surprisingly quite. Passenger space very good even in the 2nd row bench is roomy with plenty of leg room for real sized adults. And cargo space is enormous at 50 cu ft behind the 2nd row, it has nearly twice the cargo space than our Venza! I'm very happy after the 1st 1k miles, currently getting 23.7 mpg avg in mixed driving. I even saw 33.0 mpg on the HWY driving at a steady 55 mph! There's plenty of power too from the V6 (252HP), 0 to 60mph is about 8 second, more than fast enough, puts you back in your seat when you really step on the gas! Overall you just can't beat the XL7 for a mid sized SUV it has a very usable & luxurious interior the front passenger seat even fold flat for extra long items (9ft long!), and best part a 7 yr 100K mile warranty!! The exterior has a "unique" look with those cool headlights. What a great car, very happy with it so far.

35,000 mile review

by Love my 2008 XL7 from Chicago on January 26, 2013

"LOVED IT!! I bought mine used 33 months ago with 16k miles on it; 2008 FWD with the Luxury package that came standard with leather, heated seats(really nice when it was cold), 6 cd changer, and a moon roof. It's a Really a great vehicle! For full disclosure here I did just trade it for a new vehicle. I was averaging 20.5 mpg (100% city driving 6.6 miles one way to work barely enough time to warm up the engine ). We took a 3000 mile road tip to Tampa FL and back traveling at an average of 65mph we got 29 mpg. Yeah, I wasn't really passing anybody... I regularly saw 32 mpg on the HWY when traveling at 60 mph - 100 mile road tips to Michigan. Tons of room never cramped, all the gear fit easily in the back where it belongs (50cu ft behind the 2nd row). The ride was great "sooooth", and really quite. Engine power was very satisfying felt a lot stronger than the 252 hp that Suzuki is claiming. It was always way to easy to go fast, I had to make a conscious effort to drive with restraint. The handling was ok, but its no sports car, weight of 4000 lb doesn't help any. The turning radius was not great 42 ft - doesn't sound so bad, until you need to do a U turn, or maneuver in a tight parking lot. I had a few warranty issues, the chrome door handle started to peal, rear tail light had a water condensation issue, and the electric rear hatch release switch quit working... all replaced under warranty. That's the good, now the bad... oil consumption (1qt per 2000 miles) per the dealer that was within normal tolerance. No Oil stains on the drive way, so out the tail pipe I guess. However the XL7 has a oil change meter in the on board trip computer - it would display in percent (starting at 100%) how long you have until your next oil change. It's really a nice feature - my oil change intervals were 6k to 10k miles (with still 25% left on the tip computer). And then there was an odd engine vibration/ rough running at 1100 rpm at warm up, which was more pronounced the colder the outside temperature. Not so much that it was a problem per say but it was definitely unsettling. I did find few online forums where owners had issues with the timing chain on this model and had to have them replaced - not cheap. There was mention in a few case of an odd engine vibration. Even though I still had over 48k miles left on the 7 year, 100k mile warranty, my gut told me it was time for a change. Although I didn't necessarily "need" to get rid of mine, I'm not sure if the issue I was experiencing were indicative of potential future issues. If you are considering buying a Suzuki XL7 make sure a mechanic take a very close look at the engine. I will say that if I found a "NEW" 08 XL7 FWD Luxury package with the 7 passenger option, I would still consider it. I really do think the XL7 is a truly great car. I hope this review helps you make an informed decision.

One Nice Ride

by Billy from KOP, PA on February 9, 2010

I purchased this vehicle for my wife. I have a new Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer and prefer my wifes 2008 Suzuki XL7 more than my own truck. I got her the Limited edition, with all the luxury equipment. Three rows of leather seats. Love the heated seats! I only wish I bought myself one, instead of the Ford.. UGh!

I completely enjoy my vehicle

by Trisha 2008 from Ithaca, NY on August 7, 2009

I would recommend this vehicle to anyone. I enjoy all aspects of this vehicle. Good gas mileage, smooth ride, great interior, great vehicle to take a road trip in.

Great family vehicle

by Suzuki Owner from San Antonio, TX on October 6, 2012

I've owned my XL7 for 3 years and I love it. It's very comfortable, it has a roomy interior, and it handles like a car, so the driving performance is great too. I have the luxury version so it also have beautiful leather seats that have held up very well. I really can't think of anything negative about this vehicle.

Luxury at a discount!

by Sports Mom! from Pittsburgh, PA on September 1, 2012

I love my XL7 for many reasons. It's a midsize suv with full size benefits. I can transport 7 passengers and with eaze I can transport small furniture and my Costco groceries. The leather is very soft and seats are comfortable. The sun roof is awesome on sunny days. It handles nicely on the highway and in town. The engine is quiet. My 16 year old says it is easy to drive and I enjoy driving it!

Surprisingly great SUV!

by The Car Nut from Utah on June 9, 2008

The 2008 Limited is my second XL7. While the styling may not appeal to everyone I find it especially attractive in silver. The interior room for an SUV of this size is incredible. I also like the ability to have the third row of seats when needed to haul the grandchildren. The quality seems top-notch for a vehicle in this price range and certainly on par with Toyota and Honda. Most appealing for me here in snow country is how confidence-inspiring the traction control is in the terrible highway conditions like ice and snow. It never ceases to amaze me at it's stability. The power is great and the transmission shifts wonderfully. The gas mileage isn't as good as I'd like (I get between 18 & 22 driven hard), the seats could be a little more comfortable on the long trips, and the rear has a pretty big blind spot I still struggle with. Another plus is that I can (and do) tow a small trailer easily.

Beats overpriced Toyotas & Hondas

by Cubs Fan from NOLA on February 8, 2009

Great Mid Sized SUV and awesome warranty. 7yr/100,000miles Priced below highlander and crv Suzuki puts out some great products!

Suzuki XL7

by CG From GR from Grand Rapids, MI on January 29, 2009

Had mine for 2 years. No problems what so ever. Pull it up next to a Cadillac SRX and see if they look the same. Going to turn my leased 07 in this week to get an 08. Can't go wrong with a used AWD (yea 8k miles is not used) for around $16k.

One of the best purchases ever made

by Former Saab/Mercedes Owner from Indiana on August 13, 2009

I had never considered a Suzuki, my last four cars have been Saabs and Mercedes, so I always look for a solid car, that is reliable, and understated in design interior and exterior. The Suzuki XL7 was a great surprise when I rented one to haul some large items. I test drove other cars but kept saying that none compared to the XL7. I purchased one with 4,500 miles, and in three months have put 7,000 miles on it. Not one single issue, and a great surprise was when I took it in for its 10,000 mile service at the Suzuki dealer including tire rotation, the cost was a total of $48.00, with my Saab and Mercedes the service would never be less than $100.00. I am still finding little refinements with the sound system, storage, etc., that I am learning how to use. I have purchased a trailer hitch since it will pull up to 3,500 lbs. Great car!

1 2 3